The Paranormal & Ghost Society Private BBS Hosted By Lord Rick At www.paranormalghostsociety.org
Our Bulletin Board System is designed for our subscribers and friends. It is a series of forums hosted by PGS where we discuss the functions of our organization and an innovating BBS which revolves around many functions within our group sign up its free!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SHaker Church Ruins In Harvard Massachusetts
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:01 pm 

About Me: Rick eats cock
Favorite Quotes: " Revenge is a dish best served cold "
This place is much more impressive in person, The rock ruins is a church, and the cemetery is known as the Lolly pop cemetery.

Here is the best I could did up on the place

The Harvard Settlement was the second Shaker community in the United States and the first in
Massachusetts. Following a period of religious unrest, a number of dissenters abandoned the
Protestant Church of Harvard and constructed in 1769 what was to become known as the Square
House. Seeking to establish relations with these idealistic zealots, Mother Ann visited the leaderless
group in 1781 and quickly brought them into the folds of the United Society of Believers.
Occasionally residing in the Square House herself, Mother Ann gradually cemented Shaker influence
over the region and established a community of Shakers here over the next few years.

Similar to other Shaker settlements, the Harvard Shaker Village was developed following the
standard Family layout, with the Church, North, South, and East complexes--only the latter two
remain today. Laboring together, the members of the Families effectively reworked the landscape to
the community's advantage. Digging drainage canals where necessary, the Shakers succeeded in
turning the surrounding marshlands into productive, arable land, suitable for agriculture. Not only
did they modify the flatlands, but the Shakers altered the nearby hills as well. Requiring a suitable
place for their outdoor religious practices, the Believers leveled the summit of nearby Holy Hill and
planted rows of maples in accordance with the layout mentioned in the Millennial Laws (Shaker
regulations for everyday life). They toiled to reshape the world around them as they attempted to
create a "heaven on earth."

To further the development of their utopian society, the Shakers put great care into their
construction of buildings as well. The two most significant buildings of Harvard Shaker Village are
not surprisingly located at the center of the Church Family complex. The design and placement of
the Meetinghouse, built in 1791, signified that it was the most important building of the
community--the center of social and religious interaction. With a clapboard-sheathed exterior,
granite steps, and four entrances--separated both by gender and for the elders--the Meetinghouse
adhered to the prescribed design established by the Society. Built about 50 years later, the New
Office was the site of a number of important activities. A full 6 stories high, daily business occurred
on the first floor while the trustees, guests, and office staff worked above. Today, the New Office
interior still contains an exceptional example of Shaker-built cabinetry. Positioned near the South
Family complex, the Harvard Shaker Village Cemetery offers a different look at Shaker history.
With the first burial recorded in 1792, the cemetery is the final resting place of more than 300
members of the Harvard community. Walking among the cast iron grave markers, visitors can
follow chronologically the life and times of the people of the Harvard Shaker Village and slowly piece
together the past for themselves. In the 1850s, the population peaked at about 200 members and
its landholdings totaled more than 2,000 acres. After the Civil War, many of the members left and
the population plummeted to under 40 by 1890. The Shakers were forced to sell both the East and
North Family areas. In the early 20th century, the remaining Eldresses sold Harvard's first office
building, built in 1794, to preservationist Clara Endicott Sears who moved the building to Fruitlands
Museum and opened it to the public

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: SHaker Church Ruins In Harvard Massachusetts
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome post Mike...one day ill get out your way I would love to visit MA see the sites. This place is aweome damn...nothing like that in FL here a few sites but nothing that great. Ma has alot of history and places to check out Danvers I am sure is awesome.
Rick

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:05 pm 

About Me: Rick eats cock
Favorite Quotes: " Revenge is a dish best served cold "
I lve a 5 minute drive from the basement, where its free and legal to go to , ... anyway where titchuba told rev parris's 2 daughters the tales of witch craft starting the whole witch craft craze, ill try and get those pics up tonight. but yeah you can stand right in the spot where it started, and the coolest thing about it, is its low key and no one seems to know about it, i never see anyone there. its very cool

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:26 am 
Site Admin

Awesome just to stand in it alone try to envision the past. I love places that there is not alot of people something hidden from the public. Sometimes here in FL nothing is untouched being its a tourist state afterall. Although this one train station I walked around down here in was totally preserved the homeless guy living in there told me he was the only one staying inside and that nobody has bothered it in 3 years.
Rick

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:42 am 

Those were some neat pictures!!! I really want to go up there.

Have you been to the Emily Dickinson Homestead and Museum? I think it's in Amherst, Massachussetts.

Profile E-mail