The Paranormal & Ghost Society Private BBS Hosted By Lord Rick At www.paranormalghostsociety.org
Our Bulletin Board System is designed for our subscribers and friends. It is a series of forums hosted by PGS where we discuss the functions of our organization and an innovating BBS which revolves around many functions within our group sign up its free!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Our Exploration At The NV State Orphanage & Sunny Acres
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

Our Exploration At The NV State Orphanage & Sunny Acres - 7/14/14

I seen the orphanage a couple years earlier during a drive by and wondered what was this place. Sometimes we often pass by locations and never realize their historical value little did I know this place dates back to 1870 or at least what is left of it. More less I was curious but also being a history buff its important to preserve and educate others so that sites like these will last or remain. So our work goes beyond just ghosts or the strange we have a mission but we try to make it fun for everyone so this is a place all of you are going to really enjoy guaranteed!

Today their are some buildings standing but the orphanage has been reduced greatly or at least most of the historic structures leaving behind more modern homes and cottages. Most of them are boarded up and today the land is mainly used as a giant dog park downtown Carson City. You can literally see the state Capitol and Legislature building from walking the grounds here.

I decided to do an evening exploration before sun down plus it was cloudy so I would not be battling the sun. When we arrived here the clouds went away and that sun was pretty hot. The kids were running all over I was filming and doing my photography.

As much as id love to investigate the site I wanted to come back at night to do a more in depth investigation with Tammy. My first trip would mainly be about the history in hopes that they will no further demolish anything as their is only one building left from the 1800's then many of the others were built in the 1960's.

The Victorian asylum like buildings and annexes were all gone. The stone buildings were all gone and allot of what is left are old cotton wood trees and lush thick grass. But you have walkways going to nowhere remnants of a baseball diamond, mini golf tee and a few other exercise stations. In some retrospect the place is a big creepy I just cannot pin point what that is.

I guess that at one time like the Old Stewart Indian School when an epidemic broke out kids had gotten sick and they died. It was kind of hard to escape this besides the fact that in 1902 a fire burnt all of it down and they had to rebuild the Orphan Asylum. So the grounds have happy stories but sad ones to we often forget the sad ones forgetting what the poor children had to endure.

I would run some EVP but the winds picked up and my Gauss Meter was broke which I was a bit upset about. I guess carrying it on hikes is not the best thing for it so if you want to donate one contact me we always take equipment donations for our research and could use one. So I did not get to take any viable readings here unfortunately.

We spent most of our time at the old stone gym its an amazing building but its the last of its kind on the grounds. There is also a brick workshop and some other wood building probably a cafeteria with skylights.

One of the buildings has a hopscotch court not sure what this building served but it had metal poles, walkways and was rather large in size. I know that the campus or orphanage had all sorts of facilities on site including for staff.

There is at least six large cottages on the grounds more or less they are like 5 bedrooms homes fairly large some had gates or fencing. I remember looking in one of the dark windows it just had a really creepy feeling. Apparently they still watch the buildings because I tried a door knob and one of the cameras moved on its own. Maybe they have had problems with squatters who knows but they are just empty buildings.

One of the cottages had a fridge in one of the main entrances while just about everyone was laid out the same. I would have loved to gone inside but I do believe their is energy present on the grounds. One of the photos I had gotten of my kids has some ectoplasm around them its not the best shot either but it has energy near them playing.

Their was a few people with their dogs one guy was exercising the basketball hoops are bent just some creepy reminders of the past that often make you wonder how many emotions surrounded this place. Their had to be fear, sorrow, happiness, loneliness etc etc being a guy who loves kids I kind of spent time just taking things in.

The kids had a great time Urbexing this place plus we had fun messing around like throwing rocks at a target, wrestling in this caged in area and running around. Its hard to believe how much at one time was here you see big open green grassy areas where buildings once stood and kids once filled this place.

The one thing that resides here is nature and great scenery. You can see Kings Canyon from the orphanage grounds and I been at the top of the canyon near the Tahoe Rim. When I say nature I mean rose bushes, flowers and a variety of birds including a big raven I seen here. Most of the flowers were dead then again with the heat and lack of water the best time to see them is in the Spring.

I would climb over the gate to the top of the racket ball court where I would take a cigar and drink break. Its fairly high up so it overlooks everywhere actually the entire grounds including the tennis courts. I am sure at some point in time ill take my family to play some tennis here just to absorb a little more history.

My son climbed up on the roof he is a true explorer it is nice to be young again and to have the ability to climb. I climb to but not as agile as he is but we had fun hanging at the courts and sports complex. Its all rather old school but no less it served allot of bored orphans back in the day.

We would cross the road where we found an old school stacked with junk now in the windows and a few smaller cottages. This must had been the admin. buildings for the Orphanage or used by the state back in 2006 for a short time.

When we arrived back at the Jeep I drove through the orphanage taking a dirt road. The sun was behind the mountains allowing me to go in and take a nice panorama. Besides the fact that my cam is all messed up it was not taking great photos. Our cams are expensive and they take a beating on expeditions. So by the time you get to something as simple as the Orphanage nothing works right even though we put it on a tripod a few times.

When we arrived home it was almost dark Tammy was cooking dinner. Id like to go back here late at night like midnight perhaps do a more intense ghost investigation of the site itself. Their are talks of demolishing the rest of the on site buildings so eventually their may be nothing left of the place which would be a downer. The problem is that our government controls everything they wanted most of the place torn down because they felt it was an eye sore to all their nearby government buildings never thinking about this locations history. I have old time photos of this place you will be impressed it was a work of architecture all nearly gone.
Peace,
Lord Rick
PGS Founder

Profile E-mail