The Paranormal & Ghost Society Private BBS Hosted By Lord Rick At www.paranormalghostsociety.org
Our Bulletin Board System is designed for our subscribers and friends. It is a series of forums hosted by PGS where we discuss the functions of our organization and an innovating BBS which revolves around many functions within our group sign up its free!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Our Monster Expedition At The Elephants Back & Carson Wilder
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Everyone once in awhile our team does a major expedition one that will trump anything we have done before and this is just one of them. This truly was a Fathers Day weekend adventure and all cards were in. Our team would cover the Carson Wilderness, ElDorado National Forest, Mokelumne Wilderness and two major lakes. Those lakes being Lake Winnemucca and Frog Lake one being overshadowed by Round Top Peak and the Elephants Back both which been summated by our group.

We would park at Woods Lake which is home to the Lost Cabin Mines also has a trail that takes you to Round Top Lake, Round Top Peak, 4th Of July Lake and Peak. I had some pretty interesting bigfoot experiences at Woods Lake so I felt it would be a good area to take on off from. However instead of heading west we would head south east with the Elephants Back to our left at all the time.

The trail would take us over a bridge and along Winnemucca Creek which right now this time of year is raging with rapids and pretty waterfalls. Every once in awhile we would go through the foliage climb the rocks to get a glimpse of the creek. It was pretty dangerous so we could not get to close all the snow melting from Round Top has caused these season creeks to be like raging rivers.

Our hike would also pass through three historic sites I am amazing we found all of them eventually since they are really easy to miss especially if your focusing on other things like monster hunting. It was a cool morning and we had set off very early on this hike. So butterflies were sort of lethargic on foliage and we were actually making great time to Winnemucca Lake.

We also passed by an old Arrastra which is an ore grinder the Mexican miners would use here. The Arrastra is in bad shape but you can still see the stone circle and the center stone where the mules would keep going in circles breaking down the ore inside. So that was historic site number 1 so we were off to a really good start.

As we made it out of the woods we went through a huge open meadow with great views of many peaks in the region. I had to break out the tripod and get group shots everything was snowcapped and just gorgeous. The meadow was not as lush because its still cool here but I found a very scattered wild flowers and signs of life getting ready to flourish. As some of you know I now log all nature on every monster expedition we do just so our viewers can see what kind of wildlife lurks in such an area. Who knows photographing a new butterfly or plant might be something that has never been classified before so you never know!!

When we arrived at the lake we took a break here the nice thing about it was we finally had The Elephants Back in full view a few miles off in the distance in front of us. Even though this is a volcanic dome from afar it looks like a small long hill hence how it had gotten its name because its shaped just like an Elephants back on top. Boy was I wrong about that geological feature when we began to near it closer. We had fruit grain bars, fruit snacks, granola, sandwiches, apples, brownies,pop tarts and even jelly beans. All great things to snack on while admiring a lake overshadowed by this massive peak which can be seen for miles anywhere in the Carson Pass.

We did spend a good amount of time admire views of Round Top Peak along with its nearby cliffs and of course very blue lake. There was a lady hiking chewing on something and I said hi to her she just gave me a mean look then grunted at me. Not sure what that is supposed to mean but all the other hikers I met up with at Winnemucca Lake were very friendly like one lady seen our tripod and was like oh it must be picture time.

Andy did point out to me some chemtrails we never seen no planes strangely they just say there for almost an hour in the sky descending down onto Round Top Peak. Our skies were blue all morning but they would not stay that way what went from a sunny day warming up in the sierras turned to winter real fast.

Anyhow, Andy and I would cross this log across Winnemucca Creek I came close to falling in when I lost balance I jumped for it but by getting across we were able to explore a good portion of the western side of the lake until we hit cliffs along the bank and heavy snow. We did however look for tracks in the snow and along the lakes shore did not find much of anything at the time. I could see the boys waving at me from across the lake and we even found what appeared to be a den so you never know if something was back here.

We actually crossed the creek at a different location their was remnants of an old sleuth left behind but it was easy to step on rocks then a narrow wet log. The boys hopped a bunch of rocks and sat out in the middle of the lake it was clear enough to see 10' to the bottom. I also found some gold not to far from here I did not have a gold pan and even if I did it was not worth the 20 flakes. But it reminded me that this region in the 1800's was home to many mining camps and mines. Its an area in the high sierras that is rich in gold and silver which makes it unique in itself.

We ate an apple then we began to ascend towards the Elephants Back this would not be an easy task. We had to climb thousands of rocks that were the size of Volkswagens. Their were parts you could walk on the ground past some of the rocks other areas you just had to climb through them it was some rough hiking. We had no trail well we did but it faded into the rocks themselves.

We found two dens one was very large big enough for a bigfoot like creature to hide in. The other ones maybe a bear or a cougar but they do exist if you search for them. We also found a couple hidden ponds just northeast of Lake Winnemucca. I was surprised we found them because honestly these are real offbeat places that not many know about but I figured they would be muddy and good for finding tracks. We would even cross a giant patch of snow at some points 4' deep with water underneath but we still spread out to find tracks. I did find some tracks but they were to weathered to say if they were human or not. Also some of the tracks contained a reddish substance maybe mercury or just reddish colored Earth.

By then the skies were gray it was getting dark out the sun had went away and it made me wonder if weather modification is taking place even in this region. Their was no clouds that came into the area it just changed from blue to a gray very thick blanketed sky so now we were battling the cold.

We would reach an open meadow with a few patches of trees and thus we were standing in front of the Elephants Back. I decided to take the team to its lowest point of ascension which is to climb the SW side of it. As we were about to ascend we really got some nice great views of Caples Lake and Red Peak.

The first half of the climb is grass but eventually as you ascend you hit millions of sharp fist sized pieces of sharp volcanic rock. So everytime you walk up the rocks slide you slip and it becomes very tedious. You think summating it is easy but when you read one plateau you find out that their are a few others to reach its highest point that you have to traverse.

The first plateau had cliffs and drop offs not a good place to break however if you head on over to the North End which is the highest area of the Elephants Back their are plenty of areas for great photo opportunities. When we reached the summit it was really windy and cold here. The north and eastern sides of it also have dropoffs or cliffs so if you do not like hikes this is not the summit to stand on. I did set up the tripod took a 360 degree panorama, team shots and even some individual pictures for our own personal memories. It took allot to reach this place it was not an easy climb their is no easy way up.

From on top I could see Caples Lake, Lake Winnemucca, Red Lake, Blue Lakes, Frog Lake, Red Peak, Stevens Peak, Hawkins Peak, Woods Lake, Burnside Lake, Pickett Peak, Waterhouse Peak, Markleeville Peak, Little Round Top Peak, Round Top Peak, Mokelumne Wilderness and the Eldorado National Forest. I also seen many hidden lakes or ponds rather and looked down into the Forestdale Divide a place where the sierras crest.

Some of you might remember but we actually did an expedition inside the Forestdale Divide and I stood on the east side of the Elephants Back. If the sun did not go down I would have summated it as the Pacific Crest Trail goes right through the divide which we offroaded near and hiked on two years ago. From 9'600 I was able to see even some of the mountains off by Lake Tahoe so we definitely had a million dollar view from up here.

I also showed Andy all the areas below the Elephants Back where I had bigfoot encounters or found evidence. Surprisingly based on our biological study of the area most of the tracks we found were small game like gopher, smaller deer, birds etc so this may have accounted as to why we never found much evidence near the Elephants Back besides the fact that no trees grow on this massive rock.

While I was on top I could also see the pass below actually where the pass reaches its highest point around 9k almost and here we were far above it looking down a few miles below as cars were passing through the mountains. After all the excitement Andy and I opened a couple brews it was something to celebrate over and trust me I keep my beer very cold on my hikes so that even six hours later they are still good to drink after working hard to summit a peak. We actually found a small area that went down into the Elephants back which blocked the wind that is where we would have lunch, drinks, smoke etc. I had no problem with it I sat back and was just staring off into the distance at Round Top Peak and its snowy cliffs.

We would descend off the west face of the Elephants back prior to where it drops off climbing back down into the wilderness. We would then direct our hike to the north descending slowly towards Frog Lake. This was the fun part of the hike because it was all downhill as compared to the Winnemucca Lake Trail which is uphill for 2.5 miles. We would descend onto meadows, huge rock formations and even patches of forest. We even found a hidden pond but it was really hard to get down to but these are the kind of places you only see leaving the path. I even found a new wild flower I never seen before their was only just one growing but it was very beautiful lots of pink in it and stems of flowers spreading outwards.

Eventually we would meet up with the Winnemucca Trail which eventually you come onto a split of the Pacific Crest Trail. That PCT leads you right into the Forestdale Divide or east end of the Elephants back to the south or if you descend onto it northward it will take you right up to Frog Lake.

Just before we arrived at Frog Lake in the wilderness above us was this big burly mountain man hell he kind of looked like Sasquatch himself. We stopped for a break Andy was using his throwing knives to practice with against a tree he flew right past us. When we started to head back on the trail my team went very far of me and that same guy was now standing behind me when I was filming. He gave me a very mean look nearly ran me over I quickly cut to the right on the Frog Lake trail. Not sure what that dudes problem was but as everyone said maybe he lives in the woods and were in his living room or something. Not all hikers we come across want to talk some think they own the woods.

When we reached Frog Lake we had a second lunch here Jarrod and Andy practiced with throwing knives some of them actually stuck. I went off smoked one then again I smoked 420 at every site we nearly visited this including Winnemucca Meadows, Winnemucca Lake, Elephants Back and of course the shores of Frog Lake. Frog Lake was unique it actually had a sandy beach all the way around it which we did do some track finding coming up empty. Andy pointed out some possible wolf tracks and yes their are wolves in this region they are not in large packs but on occasion we have seen them in the distance.

It was eventually time to leave the lake to my right I could see the Elephants Back as the front of it overshadows Frog Lake its pretty scenic and between their could be anything hiding up in through that wilderness. Lots of rocks, brush, foliage and trees ascending between the lake and up into the higher sierras. I know what I heard come from that area and that was a major vocalization. Could it be bigfoot? I think its possible my team was having fun celebrating that we made it out of the bush but I was off alone smoking when I heard it and it did not sound human it was deep bellowing and long.

When we took the to the PCT it was quite a descent down to the Carson Pass or Route 88 as a matter in fact a few times we lost the trail and ended up surrounded by large granite rock formations. So a few times we had to back track I was behind because at lower elevations its warmer which means more wild flowers and butterflies. I was just eating Jelly Bellies and just trucking along enjoying the views.

When I caught up with the Andy, Christian and Jarrod they were waiting by a strange track. The track was twice as wide as a human foot and their was at least three two impressions that it made. It was not very long but it had the width and the toes which makes me theorize it could be a younger bigfoot like creature perhaps an adolescent. Its so strange because it was the only track we found with toes all the rest in that area were from hiking boots and sneakers. But that one track was so well preserved and deep you could tell something came through here. For all we know it could have been a black bear but then that leaves me with more questions as to why we only found one and not many.

I think on this hike I found allot of areas where their were deep heel impressions or areas where something may have stepped down. But these creatures cover their tracks well and they tread very carefully especially in areas like Frog Lake that might see a 100 hikers in one day as opposed to areas where our team went in that were not even on any trails.

We eventually would descend on the Carson Pass my son took us down this rocky wash thought it was the trail it did cross the PCT but still when you take into account of all the extra little side trips we made we had to at least hike over 10 miles on Saturday. By then the skies were blue the sun was out things were warming up to at least the 60's. Not bad considering Andy took temperature readings at the Elephants Back of nearly 40 degrees so we embraced freezing temperatures all the way to the warmth of Spring.

There was a picnic and parking area we came up on it actually had a wood casing that held the history of the Carson Pass inside of it. I thought it was a pretty good read because this was the area where thousands of pioneers made their trek over the sierras on the old emigrant trail in their horse wagon trains. Allot of history and allot of death occurred here in the 1800's. Our second historic site we passed was actually a small grave marker in the woods with the letter C on it standing for Carson.

The team and I would walk up to the road they actually have an area with a parking lot, bathrooms, rangers station and a monument. We would use the bathroom I read a few plaques including the Kit Carson tree carving replica and the Snowshoe Thompson Monument. Snowshoe Thompson would ski the high sierras delivering mail to all these offbeat mining towns sometimes even rescuing others or taking supplies to and from Genoa. He is a true hero never asked for one red cent for any of his duties as he would ski through the Carson Pass in the winter no gun no extra supplies for 60 to 80 miles for many years. I also visited the Snowshoe Thompson gravesite in Genoa Nevada the oldest settlement in the state. So we had finally found a third and a fourth historic site along our hike this really completed the day.

Our journey however was far from over we had to hike down the highway towards Woods Lake. We actually hiked in the Meiss Meadow parking area to stay off the road since its very dangerous. I have worked allot of with the Meiss Meadows area visiting Showers Lake, Round Lake, Meiss Lake and Lake Dardanelles. That area is full of Bigfoot lore and to think I seen it all from the Elephants Back which when we turned back was a few miles off behind our shoulders and over 1100' towering above us. We could not believe that just a couple hours prior to our highway walk we were standing on top of that massive volcanic dome quite the feat.

We would eventually cross the road and head into the woods which would intersect with the old Woods Lake Road. That road is closed period but its off the highway and safe so that is all I care about for my team. It actually cuts diagonally into the main Woods Lake Road so in reality we shaved over a mile off our hike and it was really offbeat. You could look into the forest from the road and you were lucky if you could see a 100' back into the thick. Lots of granite rocks and foliage most of those rocks brought here by glaciers in the last ice age. I know we spent over an hour climbing thousands of them up near the Elephants back just to get to its base not fun! But the rocks and foliage provide a means for a bigfoot like creature to hide within a matter of feet from you and you would never know it was there watching you pass by seriously!

I took a break it was a long dirt road it gets a big confusing as other dirt roads intersect with it so I smoked me a watermelon rum cigar. We were nearing the end of our journey so close to my jeep that it was time to really celebrate. Just a few minutes after smoking the cigar we turned on a paved road up into Woods Lake and there she was the jeep a nice site to see. My jeep is the luxury version so yes it has heated seats and all the extras its a nice ride to take in the high sierras. I was just thankful I did not have a parking ticket because when we arrived in the morning their was no cards to hang on your mirror or way to pay the $5 fee. Generally they only charge in the summer for parking but some people pay anyway's even in the Spring and Fall here because they do not know better. I was just happy either way that I did not get a ticket or have to pay to park there considering the circumstances.

It was a well executed hikes we physically made a 10 mile loop from one parking area all the way to another and taking logging roads back to the jeep. We left the trail into the wilderness at least four different times never got lost never was turned around always found where we wanted to go. We hit four historical sites, graced the shores of two major lakes, visited three wilderness areas and summated the Elephants Back. All within a day and considering this fact we made it out of here before sun down which sometimes that does not happen. I been on hikes where will hike at 7am and get one at 3am so everybody did a great job we made great time.

All my mind was on at this time was a hot cup of coffee it was cold on the peak and parts of this hike. So I stopped and got me a high energy coffee once I made our way out of the sierras. When you drive through the Carson Pass and you start to look at these massive mountains with no trails just wilderness one can see why a bigfoot like creature could remain hidden here for many years without being seen. The Carson Pass is vast you have monstrous mountains and thick woods. You could probably just park the car head right up onto the side of a peak no trail or nothing and their is a 75 percent chance your going to find some sort of bigfoot evidence. I know I been living in this region a few years and working hard in that area with my research to prove this creature exist and is thriving in the region we traversed.

I learned allot that the quadrant we covered has allot of small game which would not support a bigfoot like creature. However this area could be used for a monster like Bigfoot to use to cross from the Carson Pass into other areas that I have adventured into to hunt, gather or even dwell at. I mean there are areas something could walk on the rocks never leaving a single track cross over the backside of the Elephants Back and disappear into the Mokelumne Wilderness without ever being seen. We know how vast the area is half of the expedition we were not on any trails and I see all sorts of different things including this tombstone looking rock. I also seen some bear and mountain lion scat so we know that predators can and do dwell in the Elephants Back region so why not bigfoot?

We traversed glacier rock fields, meadows, snow, volcanic rock, lake shores, rapids, waterfalls, hill sides, various trails etc etc. Their were elements of danger, finding gold, oddities along the hike, historic sites, excitement, extreme scenery, wild life and so much more. It was truly an awesome expedition and I was happy because I had gotten to use a few new pieces of gear that I had gotten for my birthday. Its to bad I did not get my Fathers Day Backpack just one day before could have used it. Our team carries a ton of supplies into the mountains were weighted down good because we have to make sure we have enough supplies to be able to survive especially if we were hiking and the world went to shit or we ran into some other situation that caused us to take longer up in the wilderness like discovering Bigfoot remains or something to that effect. My tripod seen allot of use also I took allot of group team shots from the expedition. I toked allot and we had allot of good times I know for some of our team this was a new experience.

We also had a ton of laughs it was pretty funny that some lady grunted at me at Winnemucca Lake so their were a few ogre jokes made after it happened lol. Then the wild man who nearly ran me over that guy was grunting and huffing to. He was not happy maybe Frog Lake is his bathtub who knows but that guy did not like me. Maybe it was the alien green nails or my piercing's who knows but that does not make me any less of a great outdoorsman. I spent a couple years planning this expedition and its just another quadrant we can knock off in our much larger scaled project of investigating the high sierras for monsters and the strange. I mean what paranormal investigator would not want to journey in the heart of the Sierra Triangle? An area with UFOs, Bigfoot and other lore. So this trip definitely had its rewards not to much evidence but it seals a chapter or void considering that we have traversed in many of the areas you will see atop of the Elephants Back and those areas all are bigfoot hotspots. From over 9k I seen many new areas we can journey at so who knows what will await us in the future!

You guys are going to get allot with this addition to our site. I did over 2 hours of filming on this expedition and producing. I also took tons of panoramas, scenic pictures and allot of wildlife. Tons of wildflowers, butterflies, chipmunks and even birds. I think alone from the Elephants Back we seen over 12 bodies of water and at least 30 different peaks. I know one of the peaks were summating is Hawkins Peak which is down this seven mile rocky dirt road to a place called Burnside Lake. That is where I found my large track in the fall in some snow and that will be an area we will work with. When I stood on the Elephants Back Burnside and Hawkins looked so small yet so vast. So our viewers are really going to like this expedition in the high sierras all of us worked hard and equally helped one another so I feel we chive well together as a team.

I have to say more came out of this expedition then I expected. I had gotten to study a real close look at contrails and chemtrails which appear to stay for hours in the air then the skies darkened. I had gotten a good look at the foliage and wildlife here which is smaller game. I also found pine nuts now those are a good source of food for a primate like creature and we found the weird track with vocalizations not to far away from that area. So it was a pretty worthy expedition and of course one of the best gifts I could have for Fathers Day to be in the great pristine outdoors. The next day my GF and kids took me out to Reds Grill to have a golden twilight ale, T-Bone stead dinner and they bought me a backpack that now can hold all my supplies including my tripod, tent, sleeping bag etc so I cannot wait to break that in on our next major expedition which will be in a couple weeks. Now it will be time to let our bodies heal a little so we can take on some other stellar locations and ill tell you what I CANT WAIT! The more I see in the Carson Pass the more I want to face head on but I will say this the Elephants Back Expedition is within the top five favorite hikes I have done in this region it is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

Namaste,
Lord Rick

PS This is a rough draft when it gets put onto our site along with media, pictures, history, evidence etc it might and may be revised.

Profile E-mail