The Paranormal & Ghost Society Private BBS Hosted By Lord Rick At www.paranormalghostsociety.org
Our Bulletin Board System is designed for our subscribers and friends. It is a series of forums hosted by PGS where we discuss the functions of our organization and an innovating BBS which revolves around many functions within our group sign up its free!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Our 1st Expedition Into The Granite Chief Wilderness
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

I have not worked allot with the NW end of Tahoe in regards as to hikes and explorations go. Hell I never even knew about the Granite Chief till very recently. Most people do not know about the location unless you were a major backpacker in the sierras.

Despite the wilderness resides at a much lower elevation getting up into it is perhaps the biggest pain of all. Our journey would take us up to a place called "Five Lakes" and I wanted to go to Whiskey Creek Sheep Camp to but mother nature through us a curve.

This would be Tammy's first time out in months really plus we had Christian, Richard, Jarrod and me. The drive around Tahoe was nice then again when is it is not nice? This is one of the most beautiful lakes in the world that is why so many celebrities live right on it.

The hiking area takes place along the edge of a ski resort of course the ski resort this time of year is closed. So when I went walking around the place it was a ghost town I had not found anyone who could direct me as to where we had to hike in at.

I went back down the road and eventually we found the trailhead. It was almost 1200' uphill the entire way for two miles. Eventually leveling out at about 7500'. What really motivates you to keep climbing is everytime you see people in their 70's or carrying a child on their back up the trail.

Personally it can be a dangerous trail since their are steep drop offs or parts of the trail that are just washed out. While other parts of the trail are just huge rocks you have to ascend or descend on top of so footing here is everything.

We would grace along the edge of the granite chief wilderness you could see off in the distance many notable peaks including the granite chief peak itself. There is also Silver Peak, Scott's Peak, Needle Peak, Twin Peaks off in the distance.

We would climb along the NW boundary of the wilderness just so I could open up a new case for this region and eventually explore more areas here. Along the trail you will see ski lifts you can also see the resort below and allot of beautiful bubbled out volcanic rock formations.

There was also allot of lizards out and the wild flowers were starting to bloom so it was a really nice hike. I was sick so was Tammy but we both still went to get the fresh air. Surprisingly it warmed up rather nice up here you did not need much clothing to hike all the snow is long gone.

When we reached the top of the trail we seen the turn off for Whiskey Creek and its old Sheep Camp. I decided to see the five lakes first which I did do. We would have to climb over some logs to get to the lakes then the rest would be trucking it through the wilderness.

We would visit one of the largest lakes first then the second largest which both were flooded so high they actually blended together via inlet. In the second lake people were swimming in it and there were to many people to seek out monster tracks let along have any privacy.

Tammy went up to Whiskey Creek a ranger told her its off limits as their were two female bear with cubs and well you know how that goes. The boys and I kept trucking it lake to lake. I had to use a GPS to find the other three lakes their are really no trails just allot of granite rocks and thick woods.

The third lake was fairly remote it was not that deep of blue actually it was more like a small pond surrounded by woods. It was off beat pretty hard to find but we found it using GPS cutting through the woods right to it.

The fourth lake we visited was fairly large crystal clear and blue. We had to rock climb to get to its shores. I dropped my GPS down a hold in the granite rocks it was in there deep. It took us nearly an hour of trying to crawl in the hole and reach for it. I even tried but I am a big guy but was able to pull a few heavy rocks out blocking some of the hole to make room for my son. Eventually Jarrod who is the smallest was able to squeeze all the way down in there while we held his legs and he grabbed it. That is when we had lunch on this lake the most scenic of the five and least known about.

There was a fifth lake that we hiked to this was more of a giant shallow muddy pond skeeters and frogs that was about it back here. There was some patches of snow but no tracks this was the only lake with a muddy shoreline no rocks so I was able to look for tracks here at least. I was a bit let down with other lakes nearby only because they lacked a lake shore which is relevant when we search for bigfoot tracks.

We walked a couple hundred feet of wilderness and came out onto the trail. I thought to myself that anything could be back here and you would never seen it. I guess this is why their are signs all over that say to stay on the trail because once you leave it its all fair game. I had a couple who wanted to see some of the remote lakes I pointed into the woods with massive granite rocks and said its that way they were like ummmm maybe not lol.

Our descent back was calm we met up with Tammy and decided to call it a day since Whiskey Camp was offlimits. There were allot of hikers here so next time I go to the Granite Chief Wilderness ill have to take a more offbeat path if I am going to find anything.

My basis for the expedition is that south of the Granite Chief is the Desolation Wilderness which has an unusually high amount of Bigfoot activity. I was chased in the Desolation by something and heard vocalizations including something taking down a deer. But the Granite Chief is north of it so you can theorize that these creatures might also step into the more remote parts of this location.

There was this one peak you could climb out onto about half way down so I was able to test my new tripod and it did very well. It was a nice team shot something I been wanting to do for awhile so everyone can get credit for the hike and the expedition.

We would eventually make it back to the jeep the sun was still up and we were home just in time for supper. I cannot wait to see more of this place and all it has to offer. Its not as mighty as the Carson Pass but there are parts in this wilderness that literally remain untouched by man especially just a 100' off the path.

I definitely want to take some of the other trails and see some of the other lakes in that wilderness. I believe the next time we venture here were going to a place called Hell Hole Reservoir that is a bigfoot hotspot so we should find some good results and I am pretty excited about returning here. This will and want to see more flows through my veins that is just like with any place we journey at even if my GF says it is all the same it really is not. Every wilderness and national forest in the sierras is very unique all the way from its seasonal falls to the type of wildlife perhaps found in that region.
Namaste,
Lord Rick
PGS Founder

Profile E-mail