The Paranormal & Ghost Society Private BBS Hosted By Lord Rick At www.paranormalghostsociety.org
Our Bulletin Board System is designed for our subscribers and friends. It is a series of forums hosted by PGS where we discuss the functions of our organization and an innovating BBS which revolves around many functions within our group sign up its free!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Our Bigfoot Expedition At Round Top Peak Sept. 27th 28th & 2
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Our Bigfoot Expedition At Round Top Peak Sept. 27th 28th & 29th!

It was our last camping Bigfoot expedition of 2013 and one of our last in the high sierras of this year. I generally do not camp this late in the season it had been snowing at higher elevations. When we arrived at our camp spot we could see snow all around Round Top Peak.

Our camp spot was nice nestled back in the Eldorado National Forest with views of the Elephants Back and Round Top Peak. We were surrounded by large granite rock formations and some trees 150' in height. It was an ideal spot for Squatching.

We could not get the truck back so all our gear we had to carry on in that includes the massive logs I brought to make a fire for our first night. The first night camping would involve no hiking just a good solid meal and nights sleep for the day ahead.

I brought both of the dogs which seemed to have been bothered by something in the woods. Could have been an animal not sure though. The first night I felt watched and did not feel comfortable at our camp spot. My son claimed to have heard a vocalization.

You have to take into consideration is that the Woods Lake region is known for its Bigfoot sightings and sounds. This is the reason why I camped here and thanks to those that donated I was able to afford the fees that came with camping here. I was a bit disheartened their was no camping at Woods Lake though.

Our first night passed and we woke up really early just as the sun came up. It was very cold in the morning roughly freeze temperatures. I had made breakfast and started a fire in the morning. That way we could warm up before heading on out for a major hike. When I say major I mean miles and miles into the wilderness in search of this creature.

Our second day would be spent mostly on hiking actually we would take this trail 1,200' to a place called Round Top Lake which nearly takes you close to the peak. Along the way about halfway onto the trail we would come across a place called The Lost Cabin Mine and not the famous one in Northern California.

The Lost Cabin Mine had three foundations all of the cabins had been a pile of rubble. I seen also a hub in a tree and a grate over the mine shaft. Not to far away from the mine shaft was the old frame of a car and a chassis which would lower the men down into this shaft. Today the creek flows right over the shaft as it is filled entirely of water. The no trespassing signs everywhere throughout this part of the forest gave off a foreboding feeling.

After having fun in the forest looking for old mining remnants we made it to a couple large meadows. There were no wild flowers all the brush was dead or brown. I never have really camped this late in the year so it was apparent that fall in the sierras comes early here. Some of the trees in the forest were already yellow and losing leaves.

We would make our way up to a place called Round Top Lake which really is so pristine and clear. You could look up seen round top peak and its sister just towering above the lake. I kept staring up wondering how would I make it up there without having to go through snow. We would have lunch at the lake before making our way around it.

I was quite surprised at how many hikers passed by us at the lake most of them were heading down to the same place which is called 4th Of July Lake. The hike to that lake is very tedious its a massive 1200' steep climb into this canyon where it takes you to this pocket where the lake is located. Which sits along the massive Summit City Canyon. Summit City is a ghost town in the sierras I almost made it there last year hiking on the backside of Blue Lakes.

The hike to 4th Of July Lake was tedious we kept slipping and sliding on the way down. All the brush and wild flowers were dead from the cold weather. I did see a few purple flowers which were still alive but mainly everything was consumed by the cold air that comes with Autumn.

Along the trail we found allot of berries and allot of black bear stool. It was very apparent that bear were also using the trail to eat the berries along side of it. This would be for us the ultimate test having gone 1200' up in elevation we now were making our way descending deep into the Mokelumne Wilderness.

When we reached the lake I was pretty tired I sat on the beach for nearly an hour. I watched other hikers make it down to the lake some were setting up camp. Under normal circumstances you are supposed to camp at the lake due to where it resides and how tedious of a hike it is to get to. I had no plans on camping I still had a peak to climb and a campsite to get back too.

My kids ran around the entire lake which btw is overshadowed by two volcanic peaks. It is a jewel in the sierras very blue more or less a crater lake formed by two adjoining volcanoes. A hiker visited with me and his dog which was all great till Rascal started to hump his dog lol. My dog is a bit domineering when it comes to the great outdoors. Since he led most of the hike it must had gone to his head.

I did eat well at the lake prior to our climb 1200' up and out of this canyon. It would not be an easy hike but it was much easier then climb down into the canyon. The only thing I found strange in the canyon was an area the earth was softer and a set of 3 toe prints were in it. Could be Bigfoot not 100 percent certain though. Near here I also found near a peak this massive cavern which had a very strange entrance and what appeared to be symbols carved above it. With caves up on cliffs like these it is a possibility that the rock apes may live in such caverns or lava tubes formed when volcanoes were active in the region.

By the time we climbed out of the canyon the sun was going down we had maybe an hour of daylight left. We were at a four way split one way leading back to Lost Cabin, Round Top Peak, 4th Of July Lake and Lake Winnemucca. I of course wanted to get to the peak so I sent my family back to camp I was not going to let them climb another 1,200' it was just to much period even for me.

I had said goodbye to my family flipped on the two way radios then made my way to the peak with Rascal. Rascal and I made good time unfortunately by the time we made it to the peaks crown which resides between the saddle leading to the main and sisters peak the sun had gone down behind the mountains. At this time the skies were purple and pink hues. I could see far below Round Top and Red Lakes. I also seen Lake Tahoe to its entirety. The backside of Round Top was nearly nightfall while the front side only revealed to me some visibility.

It is not a hard 1200' to climb however the switchback trails took us awhile and when I neared the peak I just zip-lined diagonally away from the trail to get as close as we could to the peak. Things were not looking good for us the temperature had dropped to nearly freeze and a massive wind storm hit us when we made our way to over 10k!

Rascal and I would spend very little time near the peak we actually made our way down but could not find the trail so we had to be very careful. When nightfall sat in we realized that some turns were wrong turns taking us to the edge of drop offs and cliffs. At one point a forested area of Round Top we heard something big moving around. Rascal was very scared and shaking from the cold. He had to eat snow to maintain his fluids which water is very little and few in between on this hike. The last time he had a drink was Round Top Lake far below.

I eventually ran into a couple who was heading to the peak at night which is a dumb move. The winds were topping out at 60 to 70 mph and the guy said to me he hopes I am heading back to camp. I was like I sure am with the wind storm there was no other way but to make it back to camp. At this point we would come across what I call the cross roads.

As we made our way towards the Lost Cabin Mine we would leave the Mokelumne Wilderness and begin our journey through the Eldorado National Forest. Rascal and I took a break something caught his eye he was in a dead lock stare and off into the woods nearby. I was not sure what it was he was staring at but I did hear an odd vocalization may have been Bigfoot but after that I decided to just leave my recorder on the entire time just in case.

When we almost reached the Lost Cabin Mine we heard a very thick branch snap in half not even 50' away. Whatever stepped down was very large and you could hear it moving around following us for a short time. I tried to ignore the branch snapping but whatever caused it had to be huge it was such a crisp break of wood. At this point I knew I was not alone something was in those woods and it was onto to us.

We did take a good half hour break once we reached the mine site all was quiet we could hear the flow of the creek. But the following stopped so did the vocalizations or any branches snapping. Rascal took a nap and I did an EVP session near the mine cabin sites. I also was able to talk to Tammy back at camp my new two way radios worked real well out here and we were able to keep in touch the entire time.

Eventually we moved past the mine site in the woods however the trail gets very rugged before it reaches the mine road. At night the trail is just one giant maze one that can be easily mislead if you are not paying attention. At one point we had lost the trail Rascal sniffed his way and me down to some cliffs. We were standing on the edge of the cliffs where the tops of some the trees were meeting up with us. I would follow the cliffs which took me all the way to the left and were dead ends.

Rascal and I had to back trace ourselves up this rugged hill in the middle of the dark where we found the faded trail which switch backed around these cliffs. That is when I seen other peoples camp fires and realized were not to far away from base camp. What sucked is seeing camp fires from the cliffs and knowing we had no way to get to them. Without a trail hiking in the dark here is useless and very dangerous.

Eventually we would make our way down to the Woods Lake camping area where I would feast and enjoy smoking a bowl. Rascal collapsed near the campfire and I finished cooking dinner for the kids. I was pretty tired I had gotten a bleeding rash and major blisters between my big and index toe to the bone.

The wind storm within an hour had reached camp even though we were shielded by huge rocks and fallen trees it did not matter. You could hear in the distance a gust of wind then seconds later we would get blasted by it. Because of the high winds we had to cancel our Lake Winnemucca and Elephants Back hike. It was just to dangerous to be climbing with 60mph winds.

That morning we would wake up and take down the entire campsite. I had hammocks up but did not even get to use them. I was talking to everyone about how poor I slept I guess I was worried about how strong the trees were around the tent and the fact that the tent might have blown down. There was a few times it almost did and I was holding my hands to the edge of it to keep it stable.

Sunday morning after packing up I took the boys fishing at Woods Lake while Tammy and I went for a hike with the dogs. It is very hard to find tracks at Wood's Lake considering most of the shore is very rocky. But we would no less take the entire lake trail all the way around. We came across some cabins and row boats in the woods. I bet cooking some meat in those cabins really draws in creatures like Bigfoot.

When we left the area one thing everyone agreed with me on is that we heard something or somebody in our camp at night. Our food was kept in a bear box so that was never touched but something a few times had walked really close to the tent. I had gotten some of the worst sleep camping here then anywhere I been to and I have camped in some pretty crazy places.

My son said he heard heavy breathing outside of our campsite enough to scare him to run back before sun down. He said he also heard what sounded like tree banging which is a primate method used in communicating with other Sasquatch in the area. For example they will take a rock pounding it on a tree or a piece of wood.

On our way out I visited some old Corrals from the 1800's. At one time the meadows around Woods Lake were used for cattle ranching. Today the area serves hikers and campers alike. With so many options for a Bigfoot like creature to appear then disappear into one of the many canyons in this area anything is possible. Its a very old area as historic as it is scenic thus as much as I looked for its ghosts of the past I also was on the hunt for Bigfoot the entire time.

I felt this was a really good expedition not so much as evidence as their was strangeness. Like I said I heard something up by the mine at night and something made a mistake by stepping on a large tree limb. Was it Bigfoot? Its hard telling we can only speculate that these creatures at night come out for food and scraps at night. What more then a place like this which resides deep in the high sierras where anything is possible that includes undiscovered creatures such as Bigfoot. Being that winter has almost taken hold of the area very few people camp up there this time of year which means creatures like this come further out seeking food before the long harsh winter. So it was a good hunch to go on and it turned out to be a really great adventure overall minus the wind storm.

Our next or possibly our last Bigfoot expedition of 2013 will take place on October 7th as we take on a place called Apple Hill. This area is full of orchards and farms but it also has a long standing history of Bigfoot sounds, tracks and sightings. It is a pretty time to visit here with the leaves changing colors and a chance at finding some evidence along the orchards where this creature may have snacked at one time or another. Being that their is a fresh food supply it will make a wonderful addition to our site especially if we find something strange while hiking in the foothills of the sierras and near Sly Valley which is known for its Bigfoot strangeness.

Then from here will take our investigations to cemeteries, houses and ghost towns for the long mountain winter. So allot for our viewers and followers to look forward to coming up for the month of October. The next few months we will be enjoying some Nevada's historic sites, mines and some good old fashioned ghost hunts! While creatures like Bigfoot consume places like Woods Lake an area that is impossible to navigate in the winter due to heavy snow and harsh weather.
Lord Rick
PGS Founder

Profile E-mail