The Paranormal & Ghost Society Private BBS Hosted By Lord Rick At www.paranormalghostsociety.org
Our Bulletin Board System is designed for our subscribers and friends. It is a series of forums hosted by PGS where we discuss the functions of our organization and an innovating BBS which revolves around many functions within our group sign up its free!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Our Expedition Of Mt. Raymond & The Forestdale Divide Labor
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:12 am 
Site Admin

Our Expedition Of Mt. Raymond & The Forestdale Divide Labor Day Weekend 2012!

This past labor day was a special one not just for me but for The Paranormal & Ghost Society. It was not only a rare blue moon but it also was another completion of goals for us since last year I did state I would return to the Mount Raymond area since I felt it had potential for Bigfoot activity. Even if it does not have as high of a potential as some locations we been to it is an absolutely gorgeous location full of scenery, lakes, wildlife and a vast wilderness of volcanic rock.

I absolutely love this place their is so many dirt roads that go off to nowhere and hidden lakes. Some of those lakes have turtles, fish and are surrounded with such great bird life. I think that for me I operate more then just a paranormal group we try to give you everything at once that includes the nature. So that you can understand why Bigfoot would chose his habitat in such a place such as this.

These expeditions are big they take allot of planning, food and funding. I do not get donations so its hard to continue our research so it is one of our last expeditions in the sierras this year at least. Thus I had to make it a good one so that all of you could enjoy it to the fullest.

I would also be taking my sons and one of their friends he has always been into what it is we do so I gave him a taste. I will say that our younger generation takes a higher interest into the unknown the people my own age. People my own age have taken the paranormal as a way to line their pockets their is not much purity in this field anymore or at least true heartfelt passionate investigators.

We would leave on a Thursday to get a head start on other campers afterall the Pacific Crest Trail runs through this region so you get quite a few people back here on labor day. Although it is primitive its the ideal get away from home spot perhaps a world away from a world.

Our expedition would last four days taking us to hiking over 20 miles seeing sites like crystal clear lakes, beautiful rock formations and wildlife before our eyes. I have to say I didn't get allot of Bigfoot evidence on this expedition which is what make the work we do so genuine is that we are not afraid to admit that. Sometimes we get good evidence other times its just a damn good journey. I would also be bringing Rascal on this expedition despite what happened up at Highland Lakes he is maturing into a fine team member. I do not know any dog that can do some of the things he can so he is a huge asset to my team and companion.

I had various goals on the expedition one was to hike up to Raymond Lake its absolutely secluded and on the otherside of the peak I climbed up on last time. I also wanted to focus on Hell Hole Lake although I ended up overshooting it hiking around the Forestdale Divide region which is also unique. These woods are vast allot of creeks, lakes and woods. It does not matter how you look at it their is always something new to explore.

We would pack up the truck around the afternoon then head on out after I picked up some last minute items from the store on the way up through the pass. The pass into the sierras is like a gateway to a lost paradise all within miles from where I live. Years ago when I was on the east coast I promised our viewers something big and this is as big as it gets. Considering millions of years ago this was a land of volcanoes blackening the sky today much life thrives here.

Mount Raymond
Day 1

The road back into summit lake which is nestled below Mt. Raymond is a rough one and trust me I have seen people get stuck back here. I have four wheel drive so it gets me where I have to get without little effort although winter had really washed out parts of the road so we bottomed out a few times.

I wanted a camp spot below the peak but yet on the lake and we spent a good hour offroading looking for one. I finally found a spot nestled back in some trees and rock formations just a hundred feet off Summit Lake. I could not believe how quite it was back here nor could I believe how low the water was. This time around their were no creeks flowing in Indian Valley or over the dirt road such as last year.

The boys and I had camp set up within an hour they went swimming and we built a brand new fire ring. It was a nice ring super deep and wide so that I could burn some of the biggest of logs you ever seen. We had a nice dinner as nightfall set in didn't do much hiking except for a little local exploring. Devin lost a sneaker in some mud which had a hole in it so he burned them it was like burning man minus the entire body lol. I chose an area within a mile or two where I found some unusual Bigfoot evidence last year this would be base for us or like I call it home.

When nightfall hit the only one to stay up with me was Jarrod that is when we heard something come down the mountain crashing and moving around. It sounded large and it hung around for nearly two hours making us feel watched. Rascal was looking in the woods growling and staring he was not thrilled with something watching us from the woods. Hell it could have been an animal maybe it was Bigfoot seeing what he could scavenge. However before bed I always lock up all the food in my truck its just a safety priority for me I take.

We had a nice fire going our first night to keep any animals away and ate very good. The moon was bright didn't even need flashlights our entire trip. We called it an early night I enjoy to drink a brew and smoke a cigar around the fire sometimes I doze off find out everyone went to bed but me lol.

I guess my first night I tried to absorb where we camped at with views of Mt. Raymond's Peak, Rock Formations and surrounded by woods it was serene. The lake was down so the kids swam to each island which normally are underwater. I know I have a picture from last year of this same lake with no islands. Behind the lake is a massive rock I like to call it Summit Rock its a few hundred feet of hardcore climbing but my plan was to climb it on our final day here.

After a night of campfire tales it was time to turn on in we slept good of course I woke up with Rascal inside my sleeping back in a ball. Nothing like waking up to a big stinky American bulldog licking your face in the morning reminding you that today is the day you'll be climbing a veracious mountain.

Day 2

We had a nice breakfast I always have orange juice and throw a fire on in the mornings to warm on up. Camping up here is cold ill admit it even though its still summer here it does not hesitate to drop down to 40 degrees at night. There was a hungry black lab that came up to us we gave it some food and he rolled over to let us pet him. Rascal was playing with him I guess some camper would not let their dog sleep with them which kind of upset me since we let Rascal sleep in the tent with us.

I would pack our backpacks I knew we had a massive hike planned I wanted to finish what I started last year ago and we went all out. For long hikes we have to carry allot of food and water its very tedious believe me.

Our plan would be to hike through the woods intersecting with the Pacific Crest Trail then cut on up to Raymond Lake. We would be climbing along the rim of a volcano but also getting some of the best views of the Mokelumne Wilderness which we have found Bigfoot evidence in before.

As we left the El Dorado National Forest behind we would be transitioning into the wilderness area not that their is much of a difference except the geology of the land and fauna. We would follow the volcano all the way around after a few miles of following the creek and working our way up to much higher elevations I was able to view some of the best views of Ebbetts Pass from thousands of feet above. Ebbetts Pass is another location we have worked at but being down in the pass and above it are two different worlds.

The boys, Rascal and I eventually climbed down into this ravine and out of it. Coming on out of it was harder it was steep full of volcanic rocks. The only one that had no issue is Rascal then again Rascal seems to leap rocks and logs nearly as high as me. This dog is all muscle and he can push through almost any type of wilderness without much thought.

My son went off way ahead of us at the top of one of the hills. He yelled down to me he seen a silver and white wolf. He noticed it was bleeding and limping I believe it was a rogue. I been reading more articles recently about rogue wolves in the sierras although rare they are starting to migrate back into this region. They are generally peaceful alone but organized with an alpha male a pack might be dangerous.

We did do some rock climbing up a creek bed the same one that leads up to Raymond Lake but it became very difficult and allot of extra work. The kids discovered the trail that went all the way up to the lake thus we took it for about a mile till we came up on over 9k where this beautiful aqua lake was surrounded by the backside of Raymond's beautiful rocky spires.

We had lunch and drinks at the lake I walked around it but their were no tracks. The terrain is very rock in this wilderness and surrounding Mt. Raymond thus with the lack of water I couldn't find anything close to Bigfoot impressions. However Rascal found a dead cut throat trout picked it up and started running in circles with it like he was giving me it as a gift.

I ran into a young couple who I talked to for awhile they were camping up here for the night they backpacked it in and were surprised. They were perhaps surprised that I was able to get my kids to hike this many miles up to the lake. They told me they had daughters but were afraid their kids could not make it up here. The problem is most parents don't train their kids to be outdoors I have been training mine hardcore for a few years and ill say one thing I am impressed.

I sat on a large piece of volcanic rock drank a miller lite admiring the scenery. This lake is deep it actually is very shallow the first 20' then it drops off into a massive hole. I have to assume that at one time where the lake was it actually was where the volcano spewed its lava from. Their was a guy up there fishing I give him credit hiking this far with his pole but I think my sons friend shouting at him and Rascal watching him made him uneasy. He left after both incidents but Rascal is not an attack dog he is a protector if I give him one command he either will defend or ignore. The man was no threat so I told Rascal its okay and he was fine.

We had our fun at the lake taking movies, pictures and I smoked a nice cigar. You have no idea how much this hike meant to me. Last year I took a party out here and they bailed on hiking up here with me. I seen some of the best scenic views and one of the most prettiest volcanic lakes in the entire sierras. This time I had others around me who cared about me to share this with and we spent the last moments skipping rocks together. Not everything we do has to be just about Bigfoot I am not an asshole I enjoy to have fun nobody pays me to do this just wish we had more active hikers on our team unfortunately I have had to build my organization around my sons and dog this summer but in reality it has paid off big. We have traversed to some of the most pristine parts of the sierras and beautiful locations in the world.

Hiking back was a cinch sunset was setting on in some the views of Ebbetts Pass including the NV desert from above were freaking amazing. You guys are going to get some awesome photos from this hike and your going to understand what it is I am trying to bring you the viewers.

The trail heading back was narrow at times along some cliffs and steep edges Rascal did well so did the boys. They followed my directions and listened well that is why were safe. I can teach people to be good hikers but they have to be willing to use their legs not their computers. Their is more to what we do then just being on the Internet.

Their was this one location Rascal ran up to me tackled me I fell backwards couldn't get up was getting my face licked to death. My son had to pull me up I was laying on my back on a hill overlooking thousands of feet below a beautiful wilderness. Not to long after that we ran into a turkey on the trail Rascal tried to get us some dinner for the night but I had him stop as soon as I said NO he stopped instantly pretty great dog.

Our hike back was pleasant we wasted no time getting back as we had to get a fire going. We burned an entire tree stump that was pretty fun that thing burned all night long and I was able to cook over the fire. The second night was calmer their was no growling from Rascal or feeling watched. I was so tired I fell asleep woke up and was slumped over in front of the fire. No adult company I get bored but cooking for a bunch of hungry boys and hiking all day does kind of wear you thin.

I didn't find much of anything up on Mt. Raymond although I did find a large hand print in the sand bigger then a humans fingers so I have been told that this is a creature that when it travels it sometimes walks on all fours so who knows right?

I have to say this lake was really amazing and so was the hike it had allot of adventure. I also met two hunters in the woods who were looking for deer we talked to them for awhile to. I meet so many people hiking on my expeditions and so far everyone of them has been extremely friendly to me.

Forestdale Divide & The Elephants Back
Day 3

We woke up it was cool and a very breezy morning. We had a nice breakfast and would set off to find Hell Hole Lake strangely we would not find it. Their are no paths to it you just sort of have to hope to find it in the woods and if you overshoot it you end up elsewhere. I ended up bordering the Forestdale Divide which borders Blue Lakes. If you remember last year ago I worked with Blue Lakes and that is another amazing Bigfoot hotspot.

This hike was much different then other ones would be which involved primitive hiking such as cutting through thick brush, rock climbing and offbeat travel. Before I left that morning a lady came through my camp with a dog. She told me that last night she was stuck up the road an area where a seasonal creek runs through and trust me its a big dip not made for 2 wheel drive vehicles hell even four wheel ones if you do not cut it right.

The lady had a massive group of campers she was bringing in I thought when she said a few friends she met a couple. But when we went up the road by Indian Valley their was over twenty tents and cars. There were drunk girls, music, people partying, bbqing, dogs, kids, cute women in tight shorts and I was pretty close to hanging out with them all later that night to go toke up a little haha. I miss those days when we had others camping out with us but apparently times have changed now its hard to find anybody who wants to enjoy the great outdoors. Maybe they are to scared of hiking or Bigfoot or me who knows anymore what goes through peoples minds.

The boys and I would hike back between the sunset lakes and come on out near Indian Valley which has some great views of Mount Raymond. We actually hiked on the road for quite sometime when a ranger drove past offering us some water. I refused it figuring he could give it to someone who really needed it we had enough. We hiked through a large meadow and even down into a deep dry creek bed with these high walls on both sides of us. In the Spring is a bad time to hike here because of dangerous waters so at least we didn't have to deal those hazards.

We could see lake Tamarack from afar it was low also but its a nice lake especially when you can view it from a higher elevation its very blue. The boys found walking sticks I have to admit I took them off the trail into the woods my GPS was marking the wrong lake so it took us diagonally right along the Forestdale Divide which is straight up mountains and forest. Its also an area where many volcanoes erupted millions of years ago thus it formed this giant gash in the sierras that you will see on our site in the future.

I remember finding a few impressions I did not record or measure them honestly something walked back in this wilderness but it was hard to tell how long these tracks had been here. Most of the tracks I found were disfigured from the elements.

All in all we climbed multiple hills in the woods not to far from a place they call the nipple and yes it looks like a giant tit. One day ill conquer that stone boob just for shits and giggles why not right everyone? I wanted however the boys to get an adventure out of this we took some offbeat dirt roads where gates had been torn down some of them dead ended that is when we kept going in the woods.

We found this really cool hidden pond and further down the road a lake in the woods. My son was catching turtles in the water it was a nice spot to take a lunch at. My GPS went down so that sucked we were just a climb over a ridge to the lake which turns out to be the Forestdale Pools but keep in mind I didn't know that till I had gotten home and studied some more maps. Honestly I cannot believe how many lakes, ponds and bodies of water surround this region. Its very easy to confuse them as in some cases you might have four lakes all within a few hundred feet of one another. Hell I found a dry lake bed in the woods kind of sad as drought can cause also the lost of wildlife.

There was one point we were in the woods when I heard something big snapping branches. I went to investigate the matter I came up empty. It sounded like something huge walking around the woods with us didn't want to scare my sons friend. But generally when you hear something of that size walking around their is a good sign that the big ole boy. That was an intense experience for me on the trip sure their are bear in the area I tested the boys when I found some stool and they knew what it was.

After hiking most of the day we found a creek which ran through a tunnel of course the creek was dry. We ended up running through it screaming. We also played on some old used construction equipment the stuff that boys do hell if your going to just leave it there to play on why not.

I would not say the total hike was a loss we climbed a summit of rocks to a clearing which overlooked Tamarack Lake and Mt. Raymond. I took some really great photography here while the boys hid in a crevice and screwed around having a good time on the rocks. I would be back tomorrow to finish off my Forestdale Divide exploration only this time I would take the truck up in here and see where it would take us.

Climbing down the rocks was a challenge you could tell not allot of people been up here but these summits to us are important. They allow us to show our viewers where we hike and how vast of an area we hike in. You do not get to places such as these without serious climbing and work. I work hard even though I am much older then when I first started doing this you will never here me give up this is a part of who we are.

Rascal was doing a great job on this trip sadly he was slowing down a bit on day three but it is amazing how many large rocks and logs he climbed. I know these type of dogs get a bad rep but he was a trooper always staying near the boys and I never did he stray once.

The sun was almost down we made it back to camp walking through Indian Valley where campers watched scared as my big dog, big gun and group of muddy kids came walking through their area. Although one guy talked to me asked me about that dude that almost hit me in his car speeding through there. Yeah sadly even outside the city their are idiot drivers. If my dog didn't listen to me he would have been road kill thank goodness.

The sun was nearly behind the mountains the boys went swimming froze their asses off they were so cold they thanked me over and over for the bonfire I built. I had a hard time finding wood I had to go off into the woods at night looking for it to make sure we had enough. Something again was out there moving around same area earlier Rascal was growling at.

I also did some fishing no damn bites the lake next to us is much better with about 10 species of fish but Summit Lake was just not happening. I had cooked burgers that night for everyone it was good not as good as the steak we had the evening before but it was a nice end to our night along with the dark chocolate smores.

This night was not to bad the temperature didn't drop to much but nonetheless I would make a fire the next morning for coffee and for the boys to have a marshmallow breakfast. Of course they had cereal and other things to the amount of food I go through is nuts at least 200 dollars worth per expedition I swear it.

Day 4

This would be the most special day for all of us which would include a climb up on Summit Rock and a hike up in the heart of the Forestdale Divide. In between though I would make sure us boys got to be boys too and have a fun day planned.

Devin found a snake then we all held it and played with it. Rascal gave the snake a kiss and we let it crawl on his head it was so funny. Nothing wrong with some good humor we even let it crawl up our arm and no it was no a hazardous snake actually its a very beautiful one that is black and yellow. But what a way to wake up playing with a snake and the dog lol. I knew it was going to be a crazy day!

When we headed out in the morning we went all the way around Summit Lake we had to do some rock climbing as parts of the shoreline are covered by steep rock faces. While other parts are covered in hundreds of logs and pieces of drift wood.

Summit Rock overshadows Summit Lake it also faces Mt. Raymond and on its backside two other lakes are visible so the views from on top are rather nice. The problem is the rock is a challenge to climb especially with a tired out dog and kids.

Rascal was dragging it took him awhile to get going but we found a way to get up the rocks without much hassle. Although their were cliffs built into Summit Rock and dangerous parts of it we were able to work our way up a steep but lesser dangerous way. Their were two parts of the hike where we had to help Rascal get to the top I thought man if I slip him and I are going to fall 50' because I stayed behind him to give him a boost up. I mean dogs are not made to climb rock walls nearly straight up not like Summit Rock.

When we made it to the top I celebrated with a beer, cigar and I called Tammy because I finally got a signal on my phone. I could see my camping area from on top of the rock and great views of the lake below. I took some really nice panoramas and the boys spent time on top of the rock exploring.

On our way down their were a few old trees but not many most of Summit Rock is just that one giant rock mass bigger then 10 houses put together a few hundred feet in height so if your into rock climbing this is the real deal. The wildlife around the rock was awesome to we found this giant lizard we played with for awhile biggest lizard so far we found in the sierras.

When we made it back to camp we packed up everything then we target practiced for about an hour with the clay disc we found on the shores of Summit Lake. The clay shooting was allot of fun we broke a few disc from a 150' away pretty good stuff.

Then we had finalized our camping spot off with a game of football of course its always me VS them and I get called old man. The more I win the older I get called then the boys yell at each other because they are like how can you let that old man get past you haha. I won 3 to 1 and ill brag because ill tell you what my knee I had my operation on was done for from climbing off of Summit Rock so I had very little left in me. Its all good fun and I am glad to have gotten to play with the boys a little that is all that matters to me.

We finished off our camp by eating melon then we burned all the extra stuff and dowsed the fire with a ton of water. We left no trace that we had even camped here to be honest with you but I will say it was one of the finest spots I ever camped at. How often do you camp below a volcano in front of a lake in the heart of the wilderness it was so gorgeous here I really hated to go home.

Rascal though was tired we been hiking for over 20 miles and my legs were bloodied up. My second day I fell on my knee again ripping it open. I was just ready to wrap things up go home and relax. We all were so dirty from the trip and we had to get home to unload everything. We also had one last second part of our expedition to commit to which was the Forestdale Divide.

On the way out of here leaving the Mt. Raymond area I took an awesome photo of a buck the first one I seen up here. I guess those hunters were looking in the wrong place because this buck would have looked great hanging on the wall lol.

We would get back on the Carson Pass turning off on a dirt road which went on for many miles this was rugged country. Actually it goes right on into the divide which is this giant woodsy canyon surrounded by many volcanoes. You can also take this back road to get to Blue Lakes which is an area we explored before so really we were still in the Mt. Raymond and Blue Lakes region just on the other side of it all.

I gave the boys the full experience of the trip they climbed rocks, mountains, witnessed nature and seen lakes. Now they were offroading into the wilderness as I slowly went over rocks, crevices, washed out parts of the road and giant holes. It was not a friendly road I filmed about 10 minutes of it on cam wanted to give our viewers a taste of our travels also. Their were times the boys were bouncing around so was the dog they were laughing yet worried I couldn't make some of the dips but the higher we climbed the closer we made it up near the volcanic formed pools and divide.

Finally the road came out into this large canyon bare of trees just cliffs and one geological formation they call the Elephants Back. The yellow and orange lichens growing all over the volcanic rock gave it the area a pretty appeal besides the lush meadows below the steep road which follows the rim of one of the volcanoes.

We parked it I talked to a guy who told me the narrow road was very rough that is why I decided to walk it to a half mile down into this ancient volcanic site. Basically you follow the road all the way to the left along the volcanic rock then climb the steep hillside down to the bottom of this meadow which is surrounded on all three sides by massive ancient volcanoes and cliffs.

When we reached the bottom their were two small pools very shallow with hundreds of frogs jumping everywhere. Their was wild flowers all over the place and from the top of some rocks behind the pools was a vista overlook that looked down into the giant divide below. I could see for nearly twenty miles down into the divide include seeing Red Lake Peak another location we have done some expeditions around so as you can see all our work is paying off as we are able to connect all these regions.

Their was a creek that drained into the larger pool Jarrod and I didn't find any tracks but their was a massive section of brush that had been pushed down. Whatever came through the thick foliage near the pond may have been quite large. Although their is some trees surrounding the pools the forest is much more dense at lower elevations of the divide as opposed to the volcanic crowns which surround the pools. More then likely where the pools were that was once where lava once spewed out creating all the formations surrounding the pools nearby.

In the distance their is a massive mountain they call the Elephants Back and that is exactly what it looks like. These mountains in the divide are very steep with allot of rigid volcanic rock. It will cut you up to pieces if you are not cautious climbing it.

The divide is a really picturesque location very secluded and very difficult for me to get to. Getting out of it was a rough climb I had to pull Devin up and Rascal pretty much beat everyone. This is why I wonder what it would be like having four legs then again we were on all fours climbing out of here.

On our way back down the divide I came to the woodsy section of the road where I spotted a young deer watching me from the brush. I tried to get its photo and all I could get was a nose peaking at me through the heavy foliage. When I opened up the truck to get out then it took off running. There were a few lone campers along this 13 mile road that waved at me and I found other primitive roads that went off to nowhere. It might be an area eventually to camp at in the future.

Something was wrong with my gas gauge it was showing us below E and I was a bit concerned. All the bumpy offroading caused the floater to stick. It was not till we reached the pass to where we realized we had more gas then we thought. The divide is a long rocky road getting stuck back here is not an option and we were pretty exhausted from four days of adventuring. I gave the boys a nice scare where half of the road was washed out and gone to. Shhhh it was on purpose give them a little excitement but I come across this all the time so for me I am bred to drive this sort of terrain without worrying about getting stranded and I wont as long as I know its me behind the wheel.

It felt good to head back into the Carson Valley plus Tammy found an early birthday gift for my son which is a tiny black little kitten we named Nova. Not sure who is more of a handful the kitten or my dog but when I needed him to come through he did it all with us so using one on our explorations has really worked out great this summer.

Although this is not our last Bigfoot expedition or camp out in the sierras it is one of the last of 2012 now will start to focus more on ghost and other types of investigations. Although I do have plans to climb to the top of Jobs Peak I been training for the past three months to do this climb its going to happen believe me and that will be the finale mountain climb of this year.

All in all didn't get allot of Bigfoot activity sometimes I find large tracks and sometimes we experience other things to. When it comes to working around ancient volcanoes the terrain can be allot more difficult to traverse and sometimes all the rocks prevent us from tracking such cryptids. More or less we have to go off other things like broken branches, screams, scents, stool and even sightings if they are to occur. Its also important for me to learn the terrain, hidden trails, roads etc which can help us research these cryptids better. I like to explore that is what keeps you on your toes it gets boring if you never leave the trail or the road that is the adventurer in me.

I will return next year to hike up to Hell Hole Lake hell I might even climb the nipple lol. Their is always so much to do and see in the sierras. Even if I visit a location a few times I find out that no matter how much I explore that location their is always something new to see or find in ever direction. Anything could coexist in such a habitat which has plenty of water and wildlife to sustain such a creature like Sasquatch! So really this is how I spent my labor day under a rare Blue Moon in a land that was created over 10 million years ago I know it was memorable for us all.

All our viewers are really going to enjoy these additions to our site we worked hard on the photography, team pictures, videos and capturing nature here. I really look forward to future trips in this region to think that I climbed Raymond Peak last year ago standing on its spires and this year I walked around its rim just means we are covering miles of one of the greatest mountain ranges in the United States. We want you to live through our journeys but also join them too! It will take sometime to heal from this trip but all I can say is we did it and its another expedition in our case files!
Lord Rick
Founder

Profile E-mail