The Paranormal & Ghost Society Private BBS Hosted By Lord Rick At www.paranormalghostsociety.org
Our Bulletin Board System is designed for our subscribers and friends. It is a series of forums hosted by PGS where we discuss the functions of our organization and an innovating BBS which revolves around many functions within our group sign up its free!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Our Expedition At The Bear River Reservoir & Cole Creek On 7
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Our Expedition At The Bear River Reservoir & Cole Creek On 7/27/2012

I have been wanting to camp in this region for years as I heard some really great Bigfoot tales in this region. Not to mention the fact that the scenery, fishing, hiking and seclusion is all very impressive. I was originally suppose to camp up at Woods Lake near an old mining camp but it seems that this summer has brought much nicer weather then last years thus many more people are up in the sierras.

There is nothing better then packing up the truck, dogs, family and gear going out into the wilderness. The idea of getting away from everything allows me to focus heavily on my research. I can visit a location stay for a few days and study Bigfoot activity gathering evidence as I search the region.

Our expedition would take place over a 4 days period it may have just been the most amazing Bigfoot excursion in the history of the Paranormal & Ghost Societies existence. Considering I had sighted one of my first Bigfoot here the place will always hold some special meaning.

We would take off on a Friday evening it was kind of a rush before nightfall to get camp set up as we drove deep in the wilderness down dirt roads trying to find a spot we could call home for a few days. I would not camp on the Bear River or other regions around it as their were to many folks. However, I would end up camping on Cole Creek which sits miles from the reservoir and is a bit more primitive.

We would camp right on the creek in a canyon with very little room for scenic views. It kind of was nestled deep in the woods I couldn't see the sierras only steep hills of woods on both sides of us. The wonderful thing about the spot is it was secluded and right away my son found two large tracks behind the camp site.

The creek was very low as water trickled around the rocks we could see some brook trout in the water. We had a little trail that led down to the water with a nice sized clear pool of water and a bridge that crossed up over the creek deeper into the wilderness. It was very quiet back in here didn't seem like we would have no problem finding something to explore. Our adventure would began here and what a great few days it would turn out to be.

Bear River Reservoir & Cole Creek

Day 1

We arrived in the evening just before sunset as it was scramble to gather firewood, pitch the tent, set up the chairs, unload the truck and get situated. At night here it gets real dark their is no city lights, cars and we surely needed to get a fire going.

I had cooked steaks for our first night of being there I try to eat good when I camp. The hikes are long and so are the days thus we have to keep our fluids and energy up there at all times.

My son discovered to large tracks on a hillside not to far from the creek. I am guessing that others who have camped here have left food behind thus bears maybe even Bigfoot may come down off the peak behind our camp to salvage whatever they could find.

For everyone it was not a late night the thought of leaving the fishing poles out was exciting since we had the creek behind us. Their really was not to much movement in the woods a few times I heard some branches breaking but afterall it is the wilderness.

It was already nightfall I was out by the fire with the dog we went to gather some pine cones and wood late at night. I wanted to keep the fire going keep any animals away from our camp. Something really scared my dog bad towards the back of the woods behind the creek.

He was freaking out not in the sense that he was barking more like he was scared to death. He physically ran through my tent put a giant hole in the front of it. I had tried three times to put him on his leash at camp that night. I am not sure what spooked him or what scent he picked up on but he was not acting right at all.

I didn't think much of it at the time but the area he freaked out at was on a hillside down near the creek where we found tracks at. There is also a steep woodsy mountain behind our camp that would become the next day the focus of my expedition.

Day 2

Nothing like a good cup of coffee in the morning before an all out hike. Jarrod and I would take our hike up along Cole Creek following this road. Eventually we would work on crossing the creek where we found this rock shelter that went pretty far back.

Behind the shelter was a decent sized peak or ridge which would take us a good hour to make it up to the summit. The foliage and woods here were extremely thick however we managed to find on top of the ridge a few large tracks one of them was nearly 20" and two piles of stool. The stool was massive and both piles seemed to be within a couple hundred feet of where we found the tracks.

We would briefly make our way to the summit where we seen some nice views of large canyons including a peak that had no tree growth at all on it. Camp was just a few miles behind us in one of the canyons so it was obvious how close possibly Bigfoot was near us considering what we found. I could see nothing but wilderness for miles on end.

We worked our way on top of the ridge for a couple miles that is when after studying a track and some stool I seen a large bipedal hairy creature walk between two big trees. The hair was very shaggy and the coat was light brown in color. The creature was a couple feet taller then me and very broad. It merely took two strides to make it between the two trees and it was gone. I could not help notice that perhaps we were in its territory afterall their were no hiking trails and getting up here was a bit difficult with all the foliage growing.

We would continue on the ridge even towards my sighting as for some reason seeing this thing did not put fear into me. It didn't seem malicious in anyway I just wish I had my camera operating at the time of the sighting. I would have gladly taken a couple seconds of footage of it but now I know why its so hard to get on film.

Eventually we would make our way down off the ridge where we found this very old overgrown dirt road. Their were small bushes and grass growing in the road. One area we found had a stack of logs over 50' in height it was obvious this old logging road had not been used in awhile. We even crossed an unmarked creek and at one point found a log that was put in the middle of the road to keep others out. Their was no explanation for the log or how it got there considering their were no other trees surrounding it where it could have broken on off.

Eventually we would come right on out across from our camp you could not have asked for a better accurate hike considering all we could see for a few miles were woods. There are no landmarks out here so with all the woodsy mountains its easy to overshoot camp very easily.

I would come back eat some lunch my day really was far from over I had another hike planned this time however it would involve taking Rascal my American Bulldog on his first expedition unleashed. My plan would be to climb a peak across from the ridge where we had our Bigfoot sighting. Then I could eventually get back before nightfall for dinner.

Rascal and I went right up the mountain most of the forest in this region was burnt down or anotherwards many trees with no limbs. The grass was very high and many of the trees were down. It was a challenge climbing the mountain due to the fact we had to hop over so many logs that were 4' to 5' in height.

Along the way I found a fairly large track hidden on the hillside I would say it was over 16" and much larger then my foot. Allot of the ground on the mountain was soft due to the fires that at one time decimated this mountain side. However you could see signs of life coming back as smaller trees were growing, flowers and grass. I also seen a deer moving super fast in the woods hopping like it was a rabbit on the hillside without ever slowing down.

Rascal was great to have with me in the fact that he carved me out a safe climbing path the entire way to the top. So I followed him the entire time to reach the summit so it made me allot safer. By the time I nearly made my way to the top I heard a banging sound nearby. It sounded like something banging on the trees hard to say but it did occur more then once.

At the summit all I could see is the wooded canyon below where camp was and other ridges around me. I could see the ridge I was on earlier in the day where I seen Bigfoot but not much other scenery. You are sort of nestled back in here so again not many landmarks unless you either climb higher or out of the Cole Creek region.

I did find another track at the summit this one was over 16" and was a fairly decent impression. I figured I would follow it into the woods along the ridge only problem being that I would stray from camp further below and I did. What turned out to be a couple mile hike turned into a six mile one with Rascal.

The sun was starting to go down so we hiked down this steep hillside through this thick forest where we came on out to a logging road. The logging road was very secluded their was no cars or humans for miles. I found some cool rock formations along the way included one that was spray painted with graffiti. I also found other trails of interest however we would eventually hit the pavement and make our way back to camp.

Heading back to camp was a journey it seemed like the paved road went on for miles as it followed Cole Creek. Earlier I could see the sun hitting the pyramid like peak off to my left and Rascal didn't seem to slow down once he knew where camp was.

Along the road we found some rock formations and steep inclines perhaps even some smaller dens. There is allot to explore here it was obvious but after a full day of hiking it was time to rest on up as the biggest journey would take place on day three.

When I arrived back at camp Tammy and the boys seemed a bit startled they said that right behind camp they heard a massive bellowing scream. They thought it was me joking around doing a Bigfoot call but in reality it was not. They said it was very loud and very close to camp I didn't hear it but then again I was not there. It appeared that just before it became dark is when the scream occurred and again it came from the mountain behind camp we had our sighting earlier. I do believe that something is living up on that ridge when you see it find evidence of it and hear it that can mean only one thing.

It was an odd way to finish the evening although we had killer dark chocolate smores I had wondered if I had struck a gold mine on day two where we hiked. I had been to places hikers do not journey at and places where humans just do not typically go perhaps I crossed into the beasts lair.

That night we were fishing we caught a brook trout he was to small to keep then again most of the fish were. Normally a creek that's over 30' across was dwindling to a mere 10' so their were no real keepers in any of the pools of water but it still was okay its all good fun. The night was calm their was no strange noises some movement in the woods but no howls or screams at least.

Day 3

I would wake early for an eventful day although little did I realize that it would involve all the risk at hand for that day. This would be a grueling day it was all work no play I swear it on my own soul. Day 2 the peaks were not as high so allot of the hiking was fairly easy just lengthy. Today would be about length and allot of climbing.

Jarrod and I would head on off down Cole Creek it was a tedious hike considering their are no trails really that follow this creek unless you take the old logging road. We chose not to instead we decided to hop and climb rocks for nearly three miles.

The hike was nice in the fact that we were able to see beautiful rock formations, small waterfalls and clear pools of water. The problem is climbing rocks between the creek is dangerous and you have to do it flawlessly.

Jarrod and I came across these two towers one on each side of Cole Creek with a cable cart and zip line. Sadly we climbed up to zip line it was locked with a chain. I can imagine that when the creek is high and the rapids are rough you use the cart to cross it. However instead we crossed the creek by hopping rocks since the zip line was down. It would not have mattered anyhow because once we crossed the creek and followed an animal path in the woods it ended up taking us back out onto the creek anyhow.

Their were many butterflies and flowers along the creek and many rocks were eroded smoothly to a point that I nearly fell off them a few times. When we made our way down the creek we came across an old wood bridge. Their were two women kissing and making out in the middle of the creek bed. Hell their was a group of people partying there that was my slice of heaven for a little bit and I do not care what anyone says. Sometimes its better to find two women going at it then it is to find a stinky Sasquatch mowing your ass down.

I would follow the creek till I came across a giant dam of course the water was low but water was still pouring out the flood gates into a deep blue pool of water. Jarrod and I managed to cross over the dam and follow the creek down into a ravine it was a bit of a rough hike as the bank was steep and I almost fell down into the ravine while inching along its edge. Their were pipes in the woods we found and the brook trout were really abundant here.

The creek along here was wider and deeper with lots of falls. Their was also many more rock formations and we ended up climbing up onto an old logging road where their was another burnt forest. Within that forest we found a hollowed out tree which was big enough for me to stand inside of. Jarrod pointed out inside a very large track of about 16" so maybe something was using this as shelter.

The logging road followed the ravine as it became deeper it came out into a giant canyon. This giant canyon is home to the Mokelumne River and we were thousands of feet above it. It was obvious Cole Creek dumped on out into the river. The massive cliffs and sheer drop offs were amazing plus some. You cannot believe how vast this region is till you physically stand above it all watching these canyons meander for miles.

Jarrod and I would cut to our right to make our way to a nearby summit with these massive rock formation on top so we could see down into the canyon. Problem was we had to cross a wash with water flowing through it the other was the thick brush for nearly a few hundred feet. It took us a long time to get to the summit as we kept getting tangled in brush taller then us but on top we could see some sort of trail below the summit we could rest at.

When I ended up getting below the rock formations and trail that overlooked where the two canyons met I passed out for an hour. I snoozed it and my son woke me up saying dad we cant stay here all day. I ate an orange and other food to gain strength but it was a gloomy situation. My water supply was next to nothing we carry allot on our hikes but based on the heat of the son and how hard we climb is based on how much water I go through. It was very hot out and their was very little shade except under this tree where I laid under for awhile. Battling uphill through the brush to get to the area was a bit challenging and tiring.

Jarrod took me up to the summit where their was a bunch of rock formations that is when we found a small den. I also noticed from on top Salt Springs Reservoir which added another couple hours to our journey as I could see it just over the ridge of another peak across the canyon that Cole Creek Flowed.

We would make our way back through the brush this time I fell was hanging upside down on Vines needed Jarrod to free me. We encountered thorn brush trying to cross the wash and head up to the summit which overlooks Salt Springs Reservoir. The thorn brush was mixed with other foliage and fallen logs it was difficult traversing this for 500' you just never know what is hiding in it. I did get some cuts and bruises it took us nearly 45 minutes to get a few hundred feet but we did make it to the summit which overlooked the reservoir eventually.

At the summit we found what appeared to be a mountain lions den. We also found one very large track and a series of tracks that dead ended at a ravine overlooking the Cole Creek below. The views were some of the best we seen on the trip and we earned it but at the same time getting back would not be easy trust me.

Instead of trying to go back down into the ravine through all the brush I just followed the ridge. As following the ridge would take us above the ravine where we could cross Cole Creek and take that logging road back to camp. Problem is we ran into a half of mile of fallen logs and thorn brush with very few open areas for relief.

I waded through the brush and my legs were so bloody as well as cut up. Jarrod was wearing pants so he didn't nearly have as many problems as I did. But everytime I fell or my foot was snagged that would be another cut. I had thorns in my hands and cuts from trying to flatten some of it out for my son so he could get through it. At times we found a fallen log where we could walk across it avoiding some of the brush all together.

As we made it through the thorn brush and higher elevations it started to lesson however the ridge started to take us the wrong away. We could see a half of mile away the logging road to our left way up across the ravine. The problem is how would we cross the ravine? I know I was not going through the thorns again it was to much my legs were stinging I was out of water and our best chance of getting back before sun down was to cross the ravine using our climbing knowledge.

We climbed down into the ravine I grabbed a rock or two embedding my feet in the crevices helping him down. Then I found an area to slide down which I slide for 20' to a ledge where we climbed a small cliff down to the bottom of the creek. It was challenging for us both we had to toss our bags down to each level so that we would be free of anything keeping us down.

Crossing the creek was a bit of a challenge as well as we had to cross a deep pool of water. The rocks were so slippery we had to toss our gear across the pool of water. I nearly lost my balance almost going under the water. Their was a waterfall in front of us as well it was pretty odd being in this deep ravine surrounded by cliffs walking through parts of the creek nobody had been at before.

Our next obstacle would be to work our way up the creek to a less steep cliff to climb on up which was hard as the massive slabs of rock were smooth and slippery. My foot caught me from going over the edge then when Jarrod jumped to me I was able to grab him. We eventually worked our way across Cole Creek where I ended up sliding across the Ravine on a 30' slab of rock. It was like a water slide and just before I fell in the water I put my foot up and caught myself on a rock protruding over the running water. Jarrod said to me dad it looked like you were just in some action movie. I really wasn't banking on sliding for over 25' down a wet rock but I made it now it was time to climb out of the ravine.

We had to climb up and out of the ravine now that we made it to the other side. This would not be an easy task their were many large rocks and we had barely anything to hold onto as it was nearly straight up. We nearly zigzagged back and forth grabbing rocks pulling ourselves higher and higher above the ravine. Jarrod made is away around a rock but their was loose dirt and I couldn't pull myself up because their was nothing to grab but a smooth round rock around the corner. I nearly fell to my death as my feet slid then my injury on my knee was reopened bleeding like crazy and as I slid I caught myself before falling backwards down into the ravine.

We finally reached a less steep incline where we made our way through more brush but this time it was more hill like then cliff like. We were finally leaving the ravine behind and making our way to the old logging road. The same road our camp was not to far off of. Boy was I glad to reach the road I fell down on it with happiness because traversing the sister summits, vines, thorn brush and steep ravine really kicked the shit out of me. I do not cliff climb often but our team does do it and that is why its hard to find solid investigators for our group. Everyone helps one another we take it slow and we do it right. But nonetheless a few slips or rocks breaking on the way up or down can cause a bit of a scare. So it was good to be on some solid ground and we would follow this road for a few miles.

The hike back would be easier because it didn't involve rock climbing or traversing the creek. I was not feeling well I fell asleep for another hour near the side of the logging road. I ended up throwing up blood perhaps lunch didn't agree with me. I do believe I had some dehydration and sun stroke. I know that after I threw up the rest of the hike back to camp was allot easier and I felt much better. My legs were all bleeding Tammy was pretty upset about me being gone all day long but nonetheless it was a successful expedition. We actually found some pretty massive tracks on the jaunt no sightings but we did find tracks in many secluded sites humans do not go in this region.

That night I cooked burgers we sure were eating good the night before we had brats. I must had eaten like three burgers and multiple servings of everything. It was a long eventful day filled with allot of adventure. I made so many videos and took so many photos we really think our viewers are going to enjoy day three being up here.

Day 4

The last day I usually like to spend relaxing so we spent it playing horseshoes, packing camp up, eating melon and having a water war. I was pretty exhausted I was walking as if I was bowlegged seriously lol. I was losing two of my toe nails from the journey they were turning purple and my body had dozens of cuts. I had just about had it I saw and found what I needed to with allot of blood, sweat and tears.

We had a few issues on the trip back home as after we put out the fire and packed up camp we realized we may not have enough fuel to get out of the region. Their is a gas station up in Kirkwood but that still was a jaunt besides the fact that we were so far away from the highway which cuts through the sierras. We seen a giant buck heading away from Cole Creek just crossing the road. It is obvious their is no food or water shortages for something like Bigfoot to be able to sustain itself in this region.

I would take it slow working our way back up to Bear River Reservoir where I would get photos of the upper and lower regions. We did go on a mild hike onto this peninsula which overlooks the reservoir. There was also some overlooks where water is often released down into this narrow canyon. Their are warning signs about getting to close as you could be washed away however the reservoir was very low due to a mild winter so I was able to get close from super awesome scenic photos.

I have driven around the reservoir months ago where have photos of the other side of it as well which ill post on our site with these updates. We were able to drive over the massive dam and it felt good to be back on the highway knowing we still were not out of gas.

On the highway we made it to the gas station in Kirkwood problem was that day their gas pump broke down and the maintenance men were not coming out anytime that day to fix it. We just had to press on another 30 miles to the nearest gas station. To make matters worst we were already nearing 50 miles with the gas needle below empty so we were not sure when the truck was going to stall out.

We managed to head up to Markleeville where we found a small gas station and restaurant amazingly getting gas. We were running on E for over 50 miles pushing tin. Their was some crack head bothering me trying to talk to me telling me Its good I am filling up here because in NV gas is 9 dollars a gallon. I was thinking to myself gas in NV is much cheaper then in Cali. The only reason I was filling up in Cali. is because I had no choice lol.

I left so quick I forgot even my gas cap had to pick one up once I had gotten on home that evening. It was nice to get home eat some fast food and just relax. All in all it was a great expedition this is an area Id like to work with more its just so vast. I know where three Bigfoot hotspots are that I found ill never give them out or show where I had my sighting but I am proof positive beyond a shadow of a doubt that Sasquatch is real and roams this part of the sierras. I feel we were lucky on this trip and when I say lucky I mean on more then just one occasion. I been working with Bigfoot for many years but this was a very aggressive expedition and the place of one of my first physical daytime sightings so it will always be special. Peace,
Lord Rick
Founder

PS All reports are subject to changes once they are entered on our website along with the rest of the content in the future!

Profile E-mail