The Paranormal & Ghost Society Private BBS Hosted By Lord Rick At www.paranormalghostsociety.org
Our Bulletin Board System is designed for our subscribers and friends. It is a series of forums hosted by PGS where we discuss the functions of our organization and an innovating BBS which revolves around many functions within our group sign up its free!
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Our Wild Exploration Of Old Western Forts & Historic Trains
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:01 am 
Site Admin

One of my favorite times of year to explore the strange is the month of October. Every year its been a tradition to explore some of the most historically haunted places in the country. We generally try to keep the whole Halloween and spooky type of theme as well.

Since I have relocated to this part of this country I have come to realize that the history is rather intriguing. Whether some of you realize it the wild west is full of legends of gold, wars fought between the white man and Natives, tragedy, ghost towns that once thrived and many paranormal secrets.

Our journey would take us to two very unique locations one being Fort Churchill & Buckland Station and The Virginia & Truckee Railyard & Tunnel #4. Both of these locations are very eerie places especially at night they are surrounded by a thin veil between the living and the dearly departed.

Since I have been involved with operating paranormal investigations I have done my fare share of forts and train yards. I have found them to be some of the most haunted points of interest ever explored. I remember back in the day years ago I did a place called Fort Niagara and remember turning around to see this black creature walking on all fours. It looked like a human being but it was a solid black shadow and it ran on its hands and knees. So believe you and me I know that forts contain more then just a tad bit of history beyond there walls.

I was very excited to take Tammy to some new locations I kind of feel shorted having a lack of investigators. This is only due to the fact that so many people are missing out on these trips and paranormal happenings. Most of the work we do we do it shorthanded which makes us one of the top paranormal groups in the country. You will never see an episode of Ghosthunters where they are going to take you through the mountains on an edge of your seat thriller its just not going to happen but you will always have that PGS.

This for me is a busy time that includes pumpkin patches like the one we are taking the kids tomorrow, Trick Or Treating and fall events. Tomorrow would be one of those events so the fun never ends as this weekend would be full of spooks and festivities. Its also a busy time also for our radio show and it is a time of year our website peaks with viewers who come from all over just to see the cool places we adventured to.

I spend allot of time prepping for our trips between gear, charging the lights, batteries, backpacks and supplies. I take people out with me at times that do not even bring a flashlight however each and every trip I load my truck up with the things we need even if we do not need them.

Tammy and I would head out prior to dusk the sun was already going down and here we had a trip out in the middle of the NV high desert. I was pretty excited to see some sites the weather has been really nice compared to last weeks snow storm up in the sierras. It snows in some parts of these mountains earlier then most of the country. However the weather was sunny and warm enough where it would be a great evening to spend out at the old fort and so our journey would began here.

Fort Churchill & Buckland Station

The road that takes you on into the fort is a few miles back through the high desert. By this time the sun had gone behind the mountains so the skies were darkening quick. I had hoped to make it a bit earlier to get some day time footage but then realized that this might be a good place during the day to take the kids in a few weeks when I have some free time.

Tammy and I parked in front of the old Buckland Cemetery which had white picket fencing all the way around it and gates. Across from the cemetery there is a ranger station and a replica of one of the barracks that once graced this area in the mid 1800's.

Tammy and I decided to revisit the cemetery in the later hours of night after we toured the fort. Our main objective would be to take some readings, EVP's and night photos of the fort itself. Which are adobe ruins scattered amongst the high desert.

Tammy and I toured foundations, buildings, walls and ruins along this trail that we parked at. The trail split off in a couple different directions but at one time was a wagon road for its soldiers. Whether people realize it or not this was one of the largest most expensive forts on the West Coast built by the US Army during this time period.

Today not much remains but war was fought on this soil and good men did die. My hope would be to unmask those spirits who decided to stick around this fort perhaps not by choice but maybe because this is all they knew.

The moon was high up over the trail not nearly quite full but full enough to kindly light our paths into the various buildings. There were approximately 24 plus structures on site surrounded by a square loop path. Some of the buildings were the barracks, captains quarters, post, subsistence & quartermasters store, guard house, hospital, headquarters and even a magazine. One of the biggest buildings was the hospital which at one time had roughly room for 24 beds.

We nearly walked around the loop twice and trust me the ruins are spread out over a very large desert area. I could see the desert mountains overshadowing the fort as the moon illuminated them. At times it almost was to quiet minus the fact that a huge pack of coyotes came real close to us while we were exploring one of the buildings only later to return while touring the hospital. Even though they are generally harmless something about a pack of wild dogs does make the hike a little less settling.

I was a little disappointed at how dead it was out here we didn't get a single EMF reading and if we did it really was to low to say it was paranormal. I did however split off with Tammy for most of the investigation as I enter many of the ruins.

One of the buildings which had three to four rooms inside I went in by myself. Tammy took on off to go visit some other buildings while I was doing an EVP session. I didn't think nothing of it much but I entered a room with a giant window inside of it. I stood in the corner of the room to get a wide angle shot when on the otherwise of the wall I heard something walk right up to the window. It sounded like footsteps moving through the brush and then they stopped. I carefully popped my head out the window and was like nice one Tammy. Nobody was there and then I was like oops. I felt something there watching me Tammy had the EMF so I may never know but I been doing this work for awhile and I honestly think that was my moment of ghost glory.

I left the building and called Tammy over after seeing her flashlight way off in the dark desert flickering in the night. All our lights flicker lately every time I buy a new flashlight they end up not working right. That is why I like investigating in the snow you do not need flashlights. You really didn't need lights on all the time here since the moon was out though.

Inside many of the foundations and walls were sage brush growing. The doorways to each of the buildings were almost 14' in height. Allot of the buildings had these giant doors almost everyone had a front exit and back one. One of them was a two story building as you could see windows up on the second floor. Its hard to believe how much it cost to build this site it was phenomenal in government cost.

Along the trail were some historic plaques we were lucky we didn't run into any rattle snakes as I did at times cut through the desert to explore some foundations. Many of the foundations were consumed by desert brush some of them were just stone walls protruding a few inches out of the ground.

Tammy and I took a few funny Halloween photos here however it would be time for us to move on as the area has many other sites of interest. The adobe ruins were left to consume in the desert and all that may be left to remind people of there is existence is the ghost which walk its battlefield.

Near the fort is a building that is a museum and replica of one of the old barracks. They had two monuments, two cannons an old supply wagon all on site. I walked around the barracks as motion lights were set off illuminating the wax figures in the windows staring back at us. I almost thought at one point there was a person inside looking out but they were just some really good dummies dressed in old Army and pioneer clothing. The cannon rifles were the finest piece of history on site I just had to get next to them for a photo. Back in the day that was the super weapon of choice. The shells for this thing were massive and more then often getting hit with one meant a very quick death.

After our investigation of the fort and having a snack we went back to the cemetery. One of the rangers came on out during our investigation I guess he seen our truck lights not to mention dogs were barking outside like crazy. The cemetery was not very large so I wouldn't be here for no more then a short time.

The Cemetery contains the Buckland family which are all rumored to have died from tragic deaths while living near the fort at Buckland Station. There is a very eerie feeling inside its fences trust me I know I am one of the very few people to have visited its graves. Despite the fact that many of the graves are vandalized most of them contain elaborate engravings. There were also a few soldier graves however most of the graves were removed to Carson Cities Lone Mtn Historic Cemetery. The cemetery had allot of high brush throughout it and within it were about 9 to 10 graves.

We then left passing over the historic California trail and over a set of train tracks. The train actually goes right through this area which just adds to the excitement of hiking around this area. We visited this wide open area where we found a couple structures. I actually found an old blacksmiths shop here and a giant garage along with pallets of adobe bricks. If my memory serves correct the fort each year receives some restoration otherwise without it nothing would be left sandy as the adobe material has been crumbling to dust.This area had allot of machinery and supplies for the restoration of the fort. The Blacksmith shop however was much older then the other structures on site. I also found out near the train tracks in the desert remnants of an old brick foundation. So besides the fort there were other historic structures which surrounded this region. In the night things are allot harder to find unless your light catches your eyes on something or your just straight up hiking along at night then come across it.

Tammy and I parked near a bridge where I hiked down into some woods down near the Carson River. Even though there is desert in the area anything along the Carson River is very green. There is allot of foliage and brush which I hiked down into.

I went over this bridge and hiked down into the woods where I heard something move. I kept pushing on till whatever was moving was coming towards me. It sounded very big branches were breaking and when it realized I was in the woods it was coming to check me on out. Whatever it was started to chase me maybe a mountain lion hard to say but everything is all okay till something has no fear of you. Tammy was back at the car I went to let her know something was out there. The Fort Churchill area is surrounded by many mountains and canyons. This could of been anything roaming the woods watching us but it almost had me as a midnight snack.

We were just about done riding down some of the old dirt roads that surround the fort when our last stop would take us to Buckland Station. The station is more like an old mansion it was built out of materials found around the fort back over a century ago. If they were open I would have paid for a museum tour as the station has a tragic history that surrounds this family. At one time across the west stations like these provided travelers with a place to supply up, rest, water down there horses and stop to pick up there postal mail.

The station was quiet I believe a caretaker lived on the road behind the station. I kept things down to a bare minimum rather taking EVP's here and readings. There were big old black lamp post which surrounded the station and a giant porch on the front of it. Behind were extensions that appeared to be newer then the rest of the original station. The station was more like a giant three story mansion all white beautiful long windows it was one of the more finer historical homes I have seen in NV.

I left Tammy to check out the guest house on the property, barn and shed. These structures were next to the station maybe they did some ranching and farming back in the day. I went behind the backside of the guest house and as soon as I approached the door I heard something inside bang on something. It was perfect timing or maybe it was something trying to spook me off. I went around the small house out to the small barn and garage to explore. I will have to check me recorder to see if I captured the audio at the time of the incident.

We wrapped up our investigation as eventually some dogs were barking like crazy. I didn't want to over stay my welcome maybe in a few weeks ill come back up here and pay them for a tour. I generally like to pay for tours of these places so that some of my money can go towards the upkeep and restoration of such sites.

All in all my night this month of October at the fort was nothing but stellar. I didn't think there was as much paranormal activity as there should have been. I didn't see any ghost I didn't get any EMF readings really however I did have a great time exploring a piece of American Western History underneath the stars what more can you ask for.

I did have three solid experiences though throughout the hours we spent working up here one being the ghostly foot steps at the fort, second being whatever chased me in the woods and the third was the banging noises that I heard come from within the little guest house near Buckland Station. Its pretty crazy when you hear something then you chase down its origins only to find out nothing is there that indeed it is our ghost of the past that may have caused this.

It was time to head on off for another adventure it was getting very late out not a single car really even on the road. Tammy and I would head down 6 mile canyon to Virginia City as we had a meeting with the ghost of the Virginia & Truckee Railroad.

The Virginia & Truckee Rail Yard

We parked the car on a dirt road near Tunnel #4 which is in my opinion a very eerie little part of Virginia City not many folks know about. I was able to almost park my truck a few feet right next to the tracks facing the tunnel.

At one time above the tunnel on this hill a fort once stood that had a cannon just in case the Comstock were ever to be attacked by natives. Forts like these were built to protect the gold much like Fort Churchhill was erected with the same concept just miles from Virginia City.

We gathered our gear as we would have a long hike from Tunnel #4 to Virginia City along a very desolate set of tracks which pass through Gold Canyon which is creepy in itself.

Prior to us heading to the yard we did walk through Tunnel # 4 what an eerie place. When we first arrived I heard this big noise from within the tunnel. What it was or who is hard to say but months ago when I visited here I felt something here and it hasn't changed. I do believe something paranormal surrounds this tunnel.

I just thought it was odd that a noise would come from within the tunnel the moment were about to walk on inside. I didn't find anything strange although there are some areas within the tunnel that go back under some of its beams. If you were a hobo this would be prime real estate seriously lol! There appeared to be many areas someone could hide within this tunnel.

I guess you could say this was very exciting for me I never really been in an active train tunnel. Today this railroad still traverses through this tunnel as you can still take the train up to Truckee from Virginia City for a day trip. Personally myself I think next year I will take the ride its very scenic and I know my sons would like it. Then I can experience the tunnel with everyone as the train enters it. Although tunnel 4 isn't the only one its the closest one to Virginia City. It sits near an old depot and near a canyon that once held some of the greatest mines in all the Comstock.

After we took EVP's and readouts we decided to traverse the tracks this was the fun part of it all. I am not afraid to hike under the stars its one of the traditions our group has taken on for years. I know some groups you see on TV like to set up there gear as they walk very little but in my group we earn our investigations even if that means hiking down railroads tracks in the middle of the mountains.

Eventually Tammy and I would come right out into the rail yard where piles of old wooden ties graces us along the tracks. On site was the Virginia & Truckee Train that is used during the summer for train rides. We seen the coal car and a couple passenger cars. There was also an old freight engine they use to tow the passenger cars in the summer. There wasn't anything exciting at first except a few dim lights on in the yard and what we thought was a door or something nearby.

It appears that any maintenance done to the railroad was done here but my interest wasn't so much with the train itself but the ones that were out of commission. One of my first sites I visited was this old caboose which btw had two beds inside, Xmas lights hanging and microwave as if someone was living here at one time. The caboose even had a wood stove so I could see where someone may want to live in it.

There was also a train car with no wheels it appeared all its wheels were sitting at the entrance to get in. This car was completely stripped down. Many of the cars here looked like a scene from the end of the world. Allot of them had no seats or the paint was chipping inside. While others had pigeon droppings and piles of twisted metal. It would be nice to see such cars restored but I am even afraid they are beyond that.

I climbed up on an old steam engine this thing had to be from the 1800's boy they do not make trains like that anymore. As a kid I always loved trains and its strange I still do. Ill sneak into train yards just to climb them and explore the cars. I also know that these places are sometimes flourishing with ghostly activity or something of the unseen.

There was at least 3 aisles of train cars we had to walk through a few of the cars were locked and completely boarded up. However some were wide open with wood boards over some of the windows. One of the cars had dust all over the seats while others were used as storage. We seen a few flat bed rail cars and even a tanker. I seen as I was filming night vision that one of the cars had boxes of old light fixtures meant to be instead in the old luxury passenger cars. It appears that the restoration of allot of the cars was more in despair as debris scattered the yard amongst the railcars.

As we made our way towards the back there was a series of smaller single manned train engines some of them were the size of a car. Some of them had machinery attached more then likely these were utility vehicles that could be used on the tracks in aiding the miners. One of the engines had a crane or something built into it while others had small flat beds as if they were used to haul supplies locally on the tracks.

I heard a loud bang when I was climbing some of the train cars then right next to Tammy some guy sits up and stares at her lol. I was near her but I never seen the guy I just heard the noise the vagrant made. There was someone sleeping in the back of one of the small utility cars apparently with a bunch of blankets. We apparently startled him more then he did us. I kind of gathered based on my finds that there were people living in the rail yard little did I know id run into someone especially as late as it was at night but it happens in my line of work. We can only up that they are not insane I try to avoid confrontation on my investigations but at times we run into some real yahoos!

We finished our investigation actually touring the Virginia & Truckee train itself which is a restored part of Virginia City's history. Tammy was on the edge here it was her first train yard it was suppose to be also our new investigators first but the problem is apparently in the paranormal community I am suppose to be the only guy investigating these sorts of things so I guess those that didn't show missed out on a cool place.

Things were getting very eerie up here I felt a few cold spots and heard some odd noises. But with people living in the train yard hell it just might be someone tossing and turning in one of the locked cars. One of the cars was made out of wood no windows or anything that looked like a prison car to me. Someone may have been hiding in there sleeping you just do not know. But as I told Tammy thank god were not in Detroit or NYC's rail yard hell there you might get all your equipment robbed at least here people stare at you and go back to sleep lol.

I really came out of here with some spooky videos and photos. Virginia City is supposedly one of the most haunted cities in the country so everything here has a tale including this very train yard that we explored. I took some really great photos and its going to look awesome on our website.

We eventually headed back down the tracks to the truck of course this time around it was easier to find our way. Prior to visiting the yard the track split off and there was allot of brush we had to cut through to get to the yard. However going back it was one set of tracks through a canyon back to base.

It was good to see the truck and right out in front of it Tunnel #4 awaited us once again where I put on my mask laid on the tracks and gave Tammy the finger lol. Because she thought this place was going to be allot worst then what it was but by the end of the night this turned out to be one of our more funner investigations climbing trains and exploring railroad history.

I toked one out at Tunnel #4 the moon was out it was a night to remember. I felt good going home because I had a full night of events at Fort Church and the Rail yard. It was a great investigation that included allot of history and where there are history there is always ghost! I took allot of readings, recordings, night vision videos and photos. We look forward to sharing them with the public as this was one of our major investigations for the month of October!
Peace,
Lord Rick
Founder
Author, Producer and Talk Show Host
www.paranormalghostsociety.org

Profile E-mail