The Paranormal & Ghost Society Private BBS Hosted By Lord Rick At www.paranormalghostsociety.org
Our Bulletin Board System is designed for our subscribers and friends. It is a series of forums hosted by PGS where we discuss the functions of our organization and an innovating BBS which revolves around many functions within our group sign up its free!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: lol....My Exploration In Death Valley Ca Dec. 24th/25th - 20
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

So many times I had come within miles of investigating death valley. You hear tales of Yetis, Charles Manson's family hiding out here and even strange lights surrounding its mountains. I was very excited about this trip as my kids were away for holiday and that left me an open road to the unknown.

The exploration was more like a cover story I didn't expect to see anything strange but rather to visit the area where all these strange things occur or at least key locations. Some of you might think of death valley as a wasteland but it truly is not. Vegetation grows in the valley....the mountains are so majestic that when you sit below sea level you are seeing peaks towering over you that thousands of feet high.

Our plan would be to visit Death Valley then hit a couple major ghost towns in the evening. Wherever the road took us is where we would go. Tammy and I did allot of prepping for this trip. We brought clothes, blankets, food and allot of gear.

Our adventure would take us into the state of Ca although it isn't gold country this place would test on every level. Its either make it or break it their is no room for errors when you are in seclusion. I was no prepared for things to come but I turned the ugly into beautiful as we traveled to some of the most beautiful locations in death valley.

Some of those locations visited is the old Borax Mine, Dante's Peak, Furnace Creek Ranch, Armagosa Opera House At Death Valley Junction, Harmon Borax Works, Ballarat, Panamint Springs, Aguereberry & The Eureka Mine, Skidoo Pipeline and finally the old stovepipe wells.

This is the first ever adventure I have ever done around such a major holiday I thought hey nobody will be up in death valley boy was I wrong. Death valley is full of life, tourism and adventurers. However some beg to differ as their are parts of death valley that are almost impossible to even get to and those are the areas rumored to be the strangest.

Tammy and I left early in the morning by the time 9am rolled around we were pulling on up to death valley junction. The way into death valley was flooded as the southern NV and Mojave had almost a week of rare rains. Those rains were running off the mountains washing out roads. Even though the way into death valley said closed I decided to drive through the deep water which blocked my path into the valley. Most of the people turned around especially ones in cars I am sure they thought this dude is crazy.

Everything was covered in mud the roads......the parking lot to the Armagosa Opera House and Hotel which btw some old guy was chasing me around as I was spinning around the property laughing my ass off. I had no choice if I slowed down the car we would be dead in the mud. The issue was however is that I wanted to get out and take photos of a nearby mill and some of the historical sites. Mud is not something you see to often in the desert and here I am not even close to being a redneck yet if I see any mud at all I have to drive through it get the vehicle dirty lol.

Before I would enter the valley to pay my entry money at the wood box Tammy and I were trying to get back to an area called Devils Hole. This is a fenced off area where others went swimming and disappeared. It is rumored to be the entrance into what some of you call the Hollow Earth and a massive underground series of caverns. Even if you could dive on down it might be a one way trip so I had no plans on going for one last swim. However the water in devils hole is extremely warm and their is two dirt roads that lead back to it.

The first dirt road we took parts of the road were washed out till I talked to someone who was filling the holes in the road with a bulldozer. The individual warned me that if I went further on in I might get stuck since rivers of water transpired over various parts of the road. I went all the way around taking another highway only to come across another road with raging water flowing over it. I was thinking about flooring it at 70mph and flying over it but Tammy was a little worried we might end up getting stuck in this giant hole that took up most of the road.

I was a little saddened that I did not get to visit Devils hole but even though we had a slow start to a busy adventurous day pulling on into the mighty death valley made me forget about Devils Hole and appreciate the area for what it is. Tammy and I took some photos near the death valley signs then we entered into the mountains only to see thousands of feet below a valley....a basin which looked more like a giant lake since the rains had not let up for days until the morning of our visit here. With that in mind our journey had begun as we traversed into the land of great mystery.

Death Valley

The biggest issue I had with Death Valley is that throughout the day we went all the way from thousands of feet above to as low as 200' below sea level. I was congested therefore my ears pressure was tested to the max. I lost my hearing multiple times during the day. The pressure and pain became so bad I was having a very hard time driving. Not once but at least 4 to 5 times we went from the bottom of the death valley floor to the top of some of its highest peaks.

The first place we visited was Dante's Peak and View. The drive was many miles up the mountain as it curves left and right for thousands of feet. When we arrived here their was at least 15 cars of others touring the area. I put on my Santa hat and beard then proceeded to walk around in the parking lot to Dantes View. I got the feeling I was being watched and no it was not from ghost. This isn't ghosthunters folks I do not just feel if you watch me ill watch you right back LOL!

People were friendly up here a couple came up and talked to me. Someone said I see your prepared for the holidays wishing me a happy one. The beard kept me warm man it was colder then hells icebox the winds were whipping. Their was quite a few people from other countries. I heard a few people talking in other languages some of them I have no idea what they were saying. I tried to make my own language up starting babbling words back words nobody seemed to mind what I was saying but they probably wondered the same goddamn thing wtf language is Santa speaking.

I must say that our fans are going to enjoy this place. Some of the best scenic photos I have ever taken were taken care trust me you will be wowed. Tammy and I took the trail which basically followed the tops of these small peaks to an overlook of bad water basin. The basis had a lake of water thousands of feet below from all the rains. I was in the middle of adjusting my beard when a woman who spoke in a non native tongue spoke with her body. I know this is going to sound weird but she stood next to me then looked at Tammy shaking her head and her ass. I figured this is my lucky day here I am sitting in the middle of death valley on the holidays....some blonde from another country wants her photo taken with Santa Claus. I was yelling out 3 way. Then this girl walks right up to me then past me and freaking poses without me. I had some choice words boy did I may have said a few swear words I invented. I guess this girl wasn't from craigslist or something lol.

The mighty mountain range across from the basin was covered completely in snow. I had wondered so many times in a matter of minutes if this view has ever changed in centuries. We walked on out onto a series of plateaus with peaks and drop offs everywhere around us. Their are no words to describe this place just that cars driving in the valley are smaller then ants while thoughts make you wonder what it would be like across bad water basin on some of Death Valleys most majestic peaks. That very same mountain range across the basin cuts right down into most of death valley where ghost towns once thrived within.

As strange as it sounded I would have a feel for what life was like up in those mountains late at night and it would come soon. I wondered to myself what secrets lay within this treacherous place but at the same time appreciate its beauty like treasuring a piece of gold. I decided it was time to head on off climb up the hill leading to the parking area. On my way up I entered the parking lot when a little girl jumped up and down saying mom its Santa Claus. I was wearing black and I am not as fat as the man in the black boots nor are my cheeks rosy that is for sure. But ill tell you something maybe the devil possessed me or maybe I am the devil who cares either way I decided to make this poor kids Christmas in death valley waving to her as I walked past playing the role of Santa Claus. The mother was ecstatic not to bad looking either it cant be any worst then what happened up at overlooks....see above! I think that all the tourist enjoyed having Mr Claus and besides from craigslist I learned women have Santa fetishes its crazy.

The journey would continue we would take a ride deep into the heart of death valley at a place called furnace creek ranch. The ranch today serves as a giant attraction. Tammy and I went into the store we bought a shot glass and some coffee. The weather was nice pleasant it felt like a warm spring day. I went from winter apparel to dressing like it was summer.

We spent sometime at the ranch I photographed some rock formations, hotel at the base of the mountain and even some historic treasures. We toured the ranch seen the old train engine, wagons, cultivation equipment, mining tools, stables, visited old Dinah and many other sites. They had a wagon train and another wagon with monster wheels made out of tree bark so hard you could have thought it was concrete. They had tennis courts and other sites. However the one thing that captured my eye more then anything is green palm trees, vegetation, flowers and even grass grow particularly surrounding this location. This could be due to the fact that it also stands at 178 feet below sea level. Standing below sea level caused my ears to pop temporarily restoring my hearing.

I know near furnace creek their are some natural springs unlike the musty bitter tasting water in bad water basin. I was amazed to be standing in an oasis but also amazed to feel so small in comparison to the mountains around me. The ranch was an amazing location allot of good energy here. If I was going to seek out the paranormal I would have to look deeper places less visited.

My next place I would visit would be the harmony Borax works which has a wagon train, machinery, ruins of the mill site and other historic sites. Borax was at one time very high in demand and this is where it was mined. Their was a nice area to photograph most of death valley so I spent sometime here. I was pleased with Death Valley however was surprised to see as many people as their was. Most of the people visited the more popular sites where you can drive on up and park. I was feeling a bit odd out of place then remember oh yeah Lord Rick loves seclusion no people no bullshit just good smoke and the unknown. I had to get out of here' or I was going to go crazy from paranormal withdrawals. The Shoshone are said to know of a secret underworld in death valley perhaps they knew the entrance into the hollow earth. Perhaps those secrets died with many of the elder tribes within the valley.

I had enough it was time for some real adventuring. We decided to look for a mine and mill instead we ended up near a place called hells gate as we drove along the funeral mountains. The names of the sites within Death Valley are enough to scare some however some of these locations were named these sites for a reason. There were so many sites that we would only have time to do some that we felt were important.

Tammy and I decided to head for Ballarat by this time the valley was darkening and the sun was off to our west. We had over a 22 mile ride to a less visited ghost town. Our true adventure began here. Ill talk more about my visit up there further below in the report. I had visited Ballarat and Aguereberry both were exciting locations which are landmarks in death valleys history. This portion of the investigation was mild into comparison of things to come. On my way up here the elevation changed drastically I lost my hearing and suffered in allot of pain from the pressure of elevation changes. The drive was scenic we seen sand dunes, rock formations and mountains that were weathered by the sands of time.

You see after we completed both ghost towns we realized we were to far away from the nearest gas station. You can get gas in death valley but its scarce. When you are pushing E and yet you have 30 miles to go you start to worry. It was nobodies fault as even if you enter with a full tank driving from various interest points up some of the steep grades can suck up most of your fuel you been warned. I was pushing tin but I found a gas station up in Panamint Springs. I was not comfortable with this place didn't appreciate being stared at like I am some knew species just discovered in the Tasmanian Jungle. I felt they were rude and Tammy wasn't exactly comfortable either but when you have to go you have to go. Personally I went a few times right in death valley some of the plants were brown needed some watering right?

At the gas station their was a plaque apparently this location was also part of a settlement or what is left of it. Although the new Panamint Springs has some history the old Panamint Springs sits hidden deeper in the Cottonwood Mountains. Strangely how the two are separated by many miles. Not much remains of the springs however the area does have a resort so we were lucky enough to find our gas be stared at and take a leak.

I felt like a big kid I had enough gas to at least traveling to one or two more locations. I had plans to visit the charcoal kilns up in the Panamint Mountains. Although their are two different ways to the kilns one of them is treacherous 4x4 only and even that might be a challenge. If I had my truck back then sure id done it but rather I the kinder road. Tammy and I drove past a ranger station. It seemed to be vacated to a degree or at least some of the wood structures surrounding it. It had a creepy feel here as we slowly drove into the darkness. Their was two separate areas along this road that had campers one party had a campfire going.

We passed a few wood structures maybe part of a mill site as I slowly drove past them. It appeared that the historic abandoned house was also next to or part of the ranger station. I drove by slowly but would drive by later on to slowly investigate the property. The windows had no drapes the white picket fence was falling apart and brush grew high in the front yard. The property was eerie and the ranger station looked more like a haunted house.

I followed the road maybe not far enough or maybe I was not on the right road as their are a few that head off into the Panamint Mtns. I visited the Skidoo Pipeline but we could not find the kilns. Maybe we didn't go far enough but eventually the pavement did end and we were climbing up into the mountains where their was woods. Woods is not something you expect to see in Death Valley but I sure found them. I decided to take a chance all for the paranormal truth. I took this road a couple more miles as the higher the altitude we climbed the more abundant the snow became. The road was narrow no room to turn around it felt like a one way trip getting us closer to the walk of shame. The tires were just not gaining traction and I made sure that I used my knowledge of my years of living where the good people of Buffalo NY live.

The car was not able to go much further without getting stuck and there was nowhere to turn around. I had to put it in reverse trying to drive the car in the pitch black night for a couple hundred feet. I I could hear the ice crunch as I slowly drove over the hardened snow. I could also feel the tires giving me some level of resistance. Their was a set of tracks already in the snow which caused the car to almost bottom out. I had to back it out fairly fast or we were going to get stuck. If this were to happen we would be spending a long night up in the Cottonwood Mtns.

We felt that the kilns were either up ahead or we just could not see them on the paved portion of the road. We had a map even GPS but even those always aren't enough. Sometimes you just have to explore and even if you do not find it you might find some other interesting things this was the case here.

We barely made it back onto the pavement as I eventually found an area I could turn around at which again was another test. If you pull to far forward or backward meant being stuck as well so we either got really lucky or I learned from days in Florida.. I just made it back to the pavement where I could see a campfire miles below the mountain we were on. I actually parked between some hills and hiked around looking for the kilns. I felt a bit uneasy here if their was an entrance into an unknown world these mountains may have been it. Its very vast out here miles of just desert, cotton wood trees, sandy dunes and mountains. Anything could be out there and that means animal or paranormal.

While driving down the road slowly looking for the kilns I spotted what may have been an owl swoop down about 8 feet off the ground crossing in front of the car. I would say that it was 150' in front of us and moved very fast from left to the right. Tammy theorized it was an owl I however felt their may have been more to the sighting. What I seen was something with a very large body a 5 foot wing span. Sure its easy to say its an owl they are all over the country. But if it was an owl then it was a man sized one. I use to see them back in easy but they were never human sized. My lights did catch whatever this was from afar and the skin looked brown. Actually this thing looked brown all over a very light colored brown which I thought was odd since most owls in death valley

I did some research found out that most owls are gray or white or both in this region. There was a creature called Owlman which first was sighted in England but sightings go beyond even there. Did I see one of these Owlmen? I may never know but it really caught my attention especially since I was out of my car a few times searching for the Kilns. I guess ill never know but I keep an openmind. Even if something like this existed getting it on film might be another story especially since this all took place within a blink of an eye.

We decided it was time to work our way off the mountain visit a very treasured area of Death Valley then head for home. It was past midnight Christmas Day and my journey was far from over. I still had to play Santa Claus when I arrived home putting the presents under the tree. I had one more place in mind that we would visit. Its called the old Stove Pipe Well.

The old Stove Pipe well is one of the only natural springs in the area which was located on two Indian trails. I did hike a little on the trails at night it was very dark out here. I seen a couple cars very far away. I could also see the moon just above the mountains as they overshadowed the valley. Their was a pair of sneakers on a rock and of course the old well with a plaque. At that time I was sitting in the middle of death valley so I sparked one up had something to eat and drink. At that moment I felt fairly accomplished. The last time I was near death valley was years ago when I off-roaded near Rhyolite a famous ghost town.

It was time to drive out of the valley another elevation change which would subject me to more pain and hearing issues. I had no regrets death valley is a remarkable place and very much the opposite "alive"!

Ballarat

We would follow the Panamint Mtns for over 20 miles. The mountains to the left were snow covered and you could see woods on some of the higher peaks further back. The sun from the west was beating down on the mountains to the east. We did not have much time to work with and I wanted to visit this place during the day to get photos for our viewers of what the area looks like.

We went from below sea level to thousands of feet up into the mountains. We could see the ghost town to our left but many many miles away. It looked like from far away a bunch of RV's and metal reflecting the sun. The weather was cooling down that nice 70 something degrees went down to the 40's real quick once the sun went almost behind the mountains.

Tammy and I took a dirt road to our left which was very muddy and full of deep holes filled with water. Along the way we passed some sort of military installation with a huge dish, buildings and an antenna. Their are rumors of sister area 51 sites in this region maybe it has something to do with this as some kind of data or radar sub station for the main base. I do feel that this installation may have been more then what it looks like pretty cool stuff. I did some research and found out one of the bases was the China Lake Naval Weapons Center so perhaps I was right on target. Some say that these bases go deep underground its possible it does maybe they tapped into the underworld of death valley right beneath our very own feet. We also passed a truck so it was obvious that this place even though secluded had people coming and go to this ghost town. Traffic meant life so we didn't know what to expect while visiting here.

Anyhow the rain monsoons had reached here to very rare but it had caused the lake to our left to overflow. I started filming and taking photos. Then I gassed the car up accelerating over the area where the lake flooded the road. It was one of the more crazier things I have done if not the craziest in months. I hydroplaned over the water as if I drove through the lake itself. Most of the lake however was to my left but we were just a couple feet from the shore.

We had made it over and were back on the muddy road pulling on into a place where crossroads met. I have to admit this place bothered me allot something isn't right about it. I feel as if murders took place here and bodies are buried surrounding the town. I know that's a huge statement to make without any evidence but I am a psychic. Their is a real dismal feeling back here. Behind this town is a series of mountains. In those mountains is another ghost town called old Panamint. It is behind Bellarat but on the other side of those mountains. There is a canyon to reach it or an old wagon trail but its a harsh journey. I had noticed the canyons were full of ice and snow just a couple miles away behind the town site.

I had to pee really bad so I went behind a wall when I noticed the caretaker staring at us. I thought the place was creepy as it is but it was obvious some folks had trailers surrounding the town site. One of the houses seemed to have no windows or doors yet the chimney was blowing smoke. Their was a van parked outside this building which was concrete but not as old is some of the rest of them. I guess they call this the visitors center but I am telling you this place was falling apart. There was an empty wood box that said brochure maps here. The caretaker was smoking a cigarette outside of the building and I noticed a sign that said we love tourist feel free to explore. I bet they love tourist as I noticed a few old rusty cars just scattered in the desert. This is why I go armed but I was a bit suspicious how a few residents live here yet their are cobwebs growing all over inside the visitor center. Man if I lived out here id be bored and probably rebuild the town its an idea at least right? There was a very old conversion van that was spray painted near the old visitors center perhaps the caretakers who knows but it was parked on the dirt road.

Their were streets within the town site so you could tell the area had been plotted. I found a foundation next to it a wine cellar with the doors ripped off the hinges just laying over the hole. Their was one chimney foundation then about 3 others I found. Their was two house like structures made of stone and wood. Both were falling apart such as the roof caved in, no windows, no doors etc. One wall was held up with wood beams to keep it from falling. Their was a small cabin made out of stone and even an outhouse. Their was mine machinery even a mine cart on tracks scattered amongst the desert. I seen an old truck with green paint on it gutted.

The one structure that caught my eye the most was an old wooden one probably the size of a 12 by 12 shack. Their was a sign that said Jail and Morgue 1898 then below it the words said and motel if vacant. Tammy is pretty daring of an investigator at times. She opened the door looked inside and closed it real quick. I said what's in their she says I seen a brand new bike, pots, pans and even a few personal items. Apparently someone lives in this shack they may have not been home hell maybe the caretaker sleeps in here. He sure didn't seem to care that we went into allot of places. I thought however this was a little strange. Not to mention the fact that the house where the Manson family lives is south of this place. The Manson's believed that when the world ended they could go underground because death valley is rumored to be one of the main entrances into the hollow earth where ancient native American tribes rose from. The house is no longer there but the property is so it makes you wonder what kind of evil things occur in such secluded places and if they at one time occurred in Ballarat.

There were a few walls and allot of debris scattered in the desert brush which seemed to be very thick in this region perhaps due to the adjacent lake to the town site. I heard from someone that the caretaker has some creepy stores about strange things that go on at the town site and up in the mountains behind the town towards old Panamint a sister ghost town of Bellarat. I would have loved to ask him about this but it was getting dark and I was hoping to make it to another ghost town prior to dark. Sadly we did not make it to our other location till after dark called Aguereberry & The Eureka Mine. Our drive out of here was just as difficult as getting in this place.

If those interested every go to death valley if you have a good 4x4 their is a road behind Bellarat that goes up into a place called Surprise Canyon. It eventually ends then the rest is backpacking till you reach the town site to old Panamint City. Its a wonderful area but not the type of place to be stranded in or alone trust me when I say this. Ill never forget this place though or how eerie the mountains looked as snow graced some of the peaks....while other mountains looked like dunes in the Sahara while other rocks were just carved out from erosion. Its vast here real vast and yet alluring as much as its mysterious. One would never believe that the death valley area held such towns or settlements but in fact it did and I visited one.

Aguereberry & The Eureka Mine

This locations I investigated after Bellarat consecutively. Tammy and I were relieved to leave Bellarat I have mixed feelings about the town site. I was hoping the road out to the mine and town site would be easier then Bellarat. In the dark offroading is an entirely different experience. Just a week prior to this trip Tammy and I almost got stuck in mineral park. Half of that issue was due to the fact that night set in and we couldn't see very well what path to take that would be resistant. Luckily this road to the hiking area wasn't to bad but the visibility was poor here.

When Tammy and I gathered our gear another vehicle was coming it was on a dirt road nearby heading towards us. I quickly grabbed everything and we started to hike away from the area. We took an old road that led into the camp of Aguereberry or town site if you wish to consider it a town and the mine. I had gotten an extra bonus when I realized this place also had a mill site right near the mine itself.

We reached the camp where we found a one bedroom home to explore. The house had been gutted walls had holes in them just as their was no windows or doors within. We went inside seen an old stove, fridge, cot without the mattress and end table. Their was a spraypainted heart that said home above it with a hole punched in the center of the heart. The bedroom was dusty I felt cold in here wish I had my gear back then to take readings but their was something definitely in this house or at least associated with it.

Behind the house on the hill was an out house. Next to the house was another small wood cabin with a metal shed made out of wood and aluminum attached to it. There was also another wood shack falling apart with a white shelf inside. This probably is all that remains of this settlement where miners once lived just a few minutes walk away from the mine itself. Their was allot of rusted barrels on the property scattered in the desert brush just as the road to the mine had piles of metal roofing.

I kept feeling as if we were being followed Tammy was wondering why I kept looking back and its because I felt something behind us not sure what but I remained vigilant in our hike to the mine. On the side of the hill we found a few foundations and stone cabins with wood doors. This was probably where the miners once lived in. We also seen the main entrance into the mines which had re enforced bars their was no entry point. Not sure why it was sealed perhaps because its an area tourist will hike at often since there is a look out point located here.

I seen on the side of the hill what remained of an ore chute. Their were concrete slabs in some areas just as we found an old set of mine cart tracks. There was a sign for the cashier mill made out of wood. I noticed the mil site had old iron rusty pipes extending out from the hillsides just as their was many large stones perhaps part of miner cabins scattered along the hill side. I found a TINT box...an old car probably from the 50s all rusted consumed by brush and seen many wood beams. The mill site ran all the way up the side of the hill with tiers of rubble all the way up to the top.

Above the main entrance to the mine I found a few smaller entrances into the Eureka Mine including a hole you could climb down into. The problem was the state actually sealed off the holes and entrances with fencing. I really wanted to look around the mine looked really cool with tunnels and mine cart rails. I found a slab of concrete with iron pipes extended vertically from it. The place was pretty beat down not as preserved as most mills or mines I been to. Their was a shaft with a giant metal bar leading down into it. Back in the day they didn't always use ladders but rather poles on steep inclines to maneuver around the mines.

I was higher up then Tammy so I could see her still on the mining road which I just cut straight up the hill. I was pretty surprised how close everything was although it was a half of mile maybe more hike to the mill and mine it gave you a perspective of what life was like living in Death Valley. I did feel a few cold spots but then again the temperature here seemed cooler. When we arrived back at the car my hands were number from the cold. The vehicle that was coming towards us may have left the area and we were ready to head up to the Charcoal Kilns do a little more exploring in death valley. Where would this journey take us?

Profile E-mail