The Paranormal & Ghost Society Private BBS Hosted By Lord Rick At www.paranormalghostsociety.org
Our Bulletin Board System is designed for our subscribers and friends. It is a series of forums hosted by PGS where we discuss the functions of our organization and an innovating BBS which revolves around many functions within our group sign up its free!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: My Adventure Report At Black Mountain & Cottonwood Cove Ceme
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Being a paranormal investigator also means putting yourself out there in ways you cannot imagine even if it is climbing the biggest of mountains. Our trip would take us to a place I just love visiting over near Lake Mojave. Some call this location an oasis in the desert and they may be just right as we toured not only Black Mountain but a small little cemetery called Cottonwood Cove.

This adventure would be one of the family kind as my first visit to the mountain I thought the unique rocks would peak an interest with my kids. We had the basic plan to climb to the peak have lunch on top of the mountain and explore anything strange around it.

The journey out here is a good one about 50 miles from Vegas. Nothing is close by when you think of sin city everything good to explore remains in the outskirts of the great Mojave desert. Its hard to think that such places we go were once sites of towns or burial grounds. It is harder to fathom how at one time men explored the tunnels underneath some of the places during my travels.

The day was crisp the wind was picking up as gray clouds were rolling in very fast. Something about a little hard rock and going hiking is far better then sitting home on a Sunday afternoon. We took on off with our coffee and finally decided to do some exploring.

As we approached the mountain in the distance it looked so much larger perhaps because we were at a lower elevation. The mountain being in such seclusion meant no trails just a beautiful hike ending with a picnic to a little cemetery searching.

I was not sure if a storm was rolling in over the desert but I know nothing is at is seems. When you climb mountains out here you realize the dangers and vastness of places that man barely ever graces upon.

We were here finally parked at the base of the mountain. I was pumped up I sort of called this a kiddy mountain. I felt even for my own kids survival is important to learn. My paranormal group is all about getting dirty and we work hard to bring some of the best photos to our viewers.

We took some photos in front of the mountain then our exploration would begin.

Black Mountain

Do not get this confused with the infamous black mountain of Henderson NV however this one like many I believe our volcanic. It is odd but their are more dormant volcanoes here out west then I ever imagined. At one time its hard to believe lava spewed out of a mountain but perhaps this occurred here.

The mountain looks almost black from afar even as you get closer. Most of the rock is black some of very porous and some other minerals like a purplish rock. Sometimes its rumored that certain rocks have spiritual qualities. However the rock on the mountain was sharp and so we had to tread carefully.

Their was a steep trail leading to a giant mine entrance. Their was bars guarding it well and some sort of sign that briefly stated that this was now being used as a bat sanctuary. I never had any idea that a giant mine went into the mountain. I seen signs of strip mining down on my first visit to the area but my imagination went wild knowing its been years since anybody had been inside black mountain.

I wish that some mines were open to the public its strange how the safer mines get sealed while the ones that are unsafe remain open across the Mojave in mountains such as this. I looked inside with my light past the metal bars and thought wow this tunnel looks as if it goes on eternally.With those facts many men prior to mean been here but few climb it. So we would climb in hopes of who knows seeing a UFO or maybe just for a celebrating a great October and November of 2010. This expedition took place Nov. 29th 2010 we wanted something mild because we knew in Dec. our paranormal group had big plans. Black mountain was a great finisher wish I could film and take photos.

I had plans to work our way to one of peaks which are just across from one another with a connecting saddle in between. Getting to the top looked so easy from afar but when you start to climb rocks bigger then you and edging along some drop offs you really need to be fully alert.This mountain was not like anything I ever climbed before. The rocks were sharp some loose while their were steep areas. Some places in the mountain had drop offs I decided to take a path which would start off very deceiving.

Our climb would not be pretty but their was no issues as we went diagonally towards the first peak. I chose the peak with some sort of antenna so I could have a good photographing area. It is odd how one can look up see something so close yet it is so far. Any good hiker knows exactly what I am talking about. The grand canyon for example is so vast people get lost for weeks there or have. Every area we tread is like this and when you can stand on a mountain you can see for a 100 miles on a clear day. Their is nothing in the world like this at least not back east but in the west their is adventures anywhere including black mountain awaiting.

Things would heat up as we climbed over giant black slabs jumping from one to another on a steep hill which eventually would lead us to climbing a few small stone walls. As it became two steep above us lay some of the cliffs and overhangs of the peak above us.

As I looked behind me the car looked so small. It only takes a few hundred feet and after that you realize the world we live or at least the things in it are very small compared to the universe. What this meant for me is even though the car is small the peak turned out to be massive.

We made our way to a lower tier actually the first peak which is more like a small little mound just narrow enough for a few people to stand on. Behind us would be the peak with the antennas then the tallest peak. We were about halfway up when we stood on the lowest peak and we had discussed how we would make it up to the top or central peak. I could see Lake Mojave off in the distance like an oasis in the desert the blue really adds to the landscape.

This mountain was formed differently then many others you will see. Like on one side of the peak is cliff....while another is a steep climb....while another might be a series of tall rocks leading up to the top. We would have to climb up to the top at a steep angle and I realized their was not getting to the top of the peak without a 30 foot climb up a wall of rocks.

I live for this kind of thing and my kids have learned to rock climb with my guidance. They are better then your average hiker and extremely agile. As we made our way along a wash to our left we would take this wash as it narrowed up a steep incline. Their was a few rock shelters up here the type of site you hear about in relation to the native Americans relevant to the area where they would sit inside or seek shelter at rather.

Most rock shelters I find are just a room or dead end but they are fun to go in and explore. My kids were quite fascinated with this and a giant rock wall my son stood below that was about 30 feet above. We would have to go around this wall and although we could have followed the ridge from the first peak to the second the rocks were just to treacherous.

I guess that the wash proved safer for us as with most washes they will lead you to the peak of any mountain in the desert most of the time. This wash however turned very narrow for us and we came up to an area that was wall after wall as the path took us leftward. I did not want to have to find another way so I started to climb. The tiers of rocks made things scary in a way knowing if you lose your grip up you could tumble down 20' with nothing to catch you so we carefully climbed as we spotted one another. I generally tell others who are with me where to step....what to grab and sometimes I may have to hold on to someone. The boys did well with very little help as they kneeled down one after another to break.

I had found a crevice and climbed in between in it for about 10 feet up rather then climb the tiers of rocks. I was not fond of the wall of rocks so rather I went around some of them. The ledges were very narrow as we climbed rocks almost at a 90 degree angle. We climbed and climbed till my head peeped at the peak evenly as the antenna was just a few feet away blowing in the wind. I knew we had made it and this felt like a nice accomplishment considering we stood on the crown or central peak of Black Mountain. We were relieved to finally relax no more trudging through brush and cactuses....or getting cut on sharp rocks or having to worry about tricky rock climbing along narrow ledges.

We had a picnic on the mountain I didn't want to leave as I sat their viewing Cotton Wood Cove and miles of valleys and vast desert. The winds were whipping on top of the mountain. I still felt it would storm as the clouds left one tiny patch of blue skies to the north while a gray blanket covered ascended above us.

The lake was gorgeous but yet looked so large as we seen it to its entirety from above. The climb down would get trickier. . I wanted to hike down on the other side of it we had noticed the highest peak we would not be able to climb as it was getting late in the day. I decided we would go down the same way then follow the less steep wash to the bottom of the mountain.

This idea was great with the exception that a 20 foot wall of rocks...small ledges would prove difficult and we would have to take it slow. Sometimes so slow that you are literally on your ass with your hands and feet grasping the earth...rocks and plants behind you. Once we made it past this part the steep wash became a little less steep and it became a race to the bottom as we would jump or rather climb rock to rock without touching the earth very much.

I know that Tammy suffered a minor fall again their are dangers to these mountains. Its very easy for your foot to get caught between sharp rocks.....or to lose your grip....or to climb the wrong way then get stuck near a cliff etc. as we almost made it to the bottom the sun came out the gray skies broke. Maybe this is a sign who knows but I know ill never forget this.

My kids told me they wished other mountains were like this one but perhaps even though some mountains are common volcanic formations their probably isn't one like this one. I did a little filming here to show you guys exactly what I am talking about as I spot the climb down its pretty good stuff it will air eventually on youtube. I came out pretty good did get stabbed with a cactus in my foot and a mild sprained ankle we all came out pretty safe with a chuckle about this adventure.

I did not see anything paranormal however sometimes even here when I stare at some mountains and terrain ill spot something strange. Its strange hoe you will spot something flying upward but in the desert its secluded perhaps making these places hot UFO spots.

I took one last look at the mountain as I drove off remembering the first visit how I went gem searching all the way to looking up thinking I just ate lunch up there. Not that its a huge mountain I think its one of the best overall views in the area of Lake Mojave and that to me is priceless.

We would then move on to find a cemetery that exist in the middle of the desert that I call Cottonwood Cove Cemetery since its not to far from the this harbor. I captured some awesome photos from this adventure included a barrel cactus growing here so if it was a volcano at one time it was now a place for many living things....cactuses....bats.......insects even.

Cottonwood Cove Cemetery

We went up the road and turned off down this sandy dirt road. All that laid in front of us was vast desert. I did ot know where this cemetery was or far we would have to go. You cannot even get a signal out here so if you get stuck its the walk of shame trust me not fun lol.

We went down this dirt road and the sand became thick like a beach. I had to keep the wheels going or we were going to get stuck. I quickly found an open area spinning the car to the right then turning her around on some solid ground. The road was a sand pit so when driving out of here I would have to keep the wheels going to get out as well.

I parked under some power lines which were buzzing quietly. The open area was in front of the cemetery and it appeared their was a few other vehicles parked here with trailers. The trailers had four wheelers in them and of course they were all trucks. They even had a dune buggy oh yeah that looked like fun.

This was a large group of people just chilling by the road and here I am trying to check out this old cemetery. The cemetery sat in the middle of the desert off in the distance all we could see is mountains around us. I felt so small here as the brush was high all around us surrounding the desert.

Most of the graves were just wood crosses tilted and weathered embedded in the hard earth or a pile of rocks. Many of the graves dated back to the later 1800's some were miners while some were pioneers that lived around the lake Mojave area.

In the back was an area for small children. They had a 3 foot bed of stones with burials of children as old as a couple of days. I am sure life was harsh around here but the cemetery was very weathered from the elements. You could not read most of the graves but many of the sites had at least a cross or something hand carved such as a slab of stone. While one other plot had metal bars are twisted and bent surrounding the grave site.Some just had stone trims while others were a mound of dirt pretty typical in the west. Just as one grave site had some 80 year old barrel cactuses growing at the front of it. Life has a way of surviving out here where one life is lost new life is also gained even in a desert cemetery.

The sun would soon go down so I took on off back down the dirt road and it never felt so good to hit pavement. The sand was treacherous near the cemetery not made for cars felt like I was back in FL briefly lol. The sky was turning pink and purple which I couldn't wait to just go home cook up some pasta chilling out.

Our ride would lead me to Searchlight where I tried to photograph an old mining site and water tower which was on someone's property so I just took a peak from afar. I felt like cruising around some day sites which I visited at night months prior to this trip.

Nothing looks the same during the day as it does the nighttime. This mountain and cemetery just sit outside this well known town so it would complete my tour of the area. It was nice to see the kids and Tammy take an interest in the cemetery despite our crazy climb of black mountain.

It was a nice outing nothing paranormal really but an exploration worth venturing out for.
Lord Rick
Founder PGS

__._,_.___

Profile E-mail