The Paranormal & Ghost Society Private BBS Hosted By Lord Rick At www.paranormalghostsociety.org
Our Bulletin Board System is designed for our subscribers and friends. It is a series of forums hosted by PGS where we discuss the functions of our organization and an innovating BBS which revolves around many functions within our group sign up its free!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Today's Exploration Of Red Rock Canyon.....
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:37 pm 
Site Admin

Now and then you will see our group UE rather then Paranormal Investigate however sometimes we combine the two. Red Rock Canyon is a strange place I covered a story about it a few years ago when I hiked up here but you hear things from other people to so I been wanting to explore it a little.

Vegas woke me up this morning it was early he kicks me on the floor says hey you want to hike I am like where when he mentioned Red Rock I jumped up was dressed and out the door in 10 minutes. It was already getting hot does not take long here in the mornings to reach over 100 degrees.

I did not bring anything to drink hell all I had was my knife on me since there are some wild mountain lions in the area. Imagine waking up and minutes later you are climbing a mountain. That is how it was no prep time at all. Vegas brought some water but not enough and I had told him out the door get me some also. Hiking in certain places like PA for example its cool and shady but in the desert the only shade you get are behind rocks and in crevices.

Vegas and I compete against eachother a lot he brags about how he can climb rocks like no tomorrow and how he knows its the desert and wont be able to keep up. Well by the time we got hiking Vegas asked me to carry the back pack and told me something is wrong with me if I am not out of breath. He still has no idea what The Paranormal & Ghost Society is all about I been trying to show him that we do explorations like this all the time for me its nothing new just a new location but its all the same go in a place keep safe and see as much as you can.

We set out arrived into the area took the road to stop at some scenic places so I could get photos. We then looked at different mountains and we picked one that was steep...full of rocks and cliffs. The road to get to this mountain was bad this sea breeze is very low to the ground I was in rocks were hitting and the road was very narrow. Keep in mind the Red Rock area cost to get into its a 13 mile scenic loop and around that loop are places to park...and climb cliffs. We wanted to pick a place that would be a challenge and get us some good photography.

I was not thinking at the time but a week ago I suffered a knee injury I have no medical insurance so I cant go to a doctor. But I may have hurt it playing soccer and all week I best nursing it....and well when I realized we were heading to this giant mountain I did not realize that I would be climbing it. I thought we would walk down some hilly trails not off the trail up steep rocky mountain.

We parked the car and went down this trail with desert brush on each side of us then looked to our left. Just tiers of rocks going hundreds of feet up. The climb would take a couple hours to get to the peak which overlooks Las Vegas and the entire Red Rock Canyon area. We had to walk very carefully as rattle snakes are out, scorpions, and even falls to our death. Looking death in the eye sometimes is more comfortable then dealing with life.

We climbed up a boulder onto a ledge Vegas was out of breath he looks at me says your not tired I said no. I have spent the last few weeks doing night hikes and climbing rocks that to was no big deal lol. We made our way up perhaps 10 feet at a time. We had no trail we had to go between brush sometimes climbing rocks 5 to 6 feet.

At one point a few times we lost our balance I was stoned we toked two just getting to the canyon. I was having a blast I bought a cowboy hat the other day and well leaving it on during the hike kept me cool. Vegas was all breathing hard every twenty feet we took breaks sometimes running as we jumped rock to rock knowing behind us was a fall to our deaths. I would take videos sometimes of climbing then stop stand on a giant rock to get more pictures. We were trying to track some big horn sheep to get photos of but did not see any.

When we reached the lower peak I climbed a rock and started to see a pretty scenic view. I stood there watching people hiking around below they were tinier then ants we were HIGH up. The thought of dying never crossed my mind today both Vegas and I stood at the a lot of edges jumping rock to rock. We climbed a few walls and were getting excited thinking we were at the top and no. We found that off in the distance was a much higher peak. I had to sit the knee was bothering me being able to smoke some green helped me forget about it did the green save my life probably.

We found a bunch of rocks that created shelter so we sat there toked another one while Vegas found animal droppings and was playing with them. He was like yeah this is fresh were getting real close. I am stoned thinking about how at night aliens probably hover in there little shiny craft over this mountain. This mountain is not red rock like the rest of the canyon is.

Vegas got cut up bad both of his legs were bleeding the plant life is very dry...sharp...and course. Their was these little bushes surrounding the rocks and brushing up against them was a cut everytime. Vegas got mad and asked why I do not have cuts I considered myself lucky but then remembers that in Florida they have two sorts of plants that can cut you bad...I learned out to be evasive especially after two years ago I had one cut that sent me to the ER. I did however have scrapes from climbing some rocks you can see them tonight I have quite a few. We were getting into our hike it was a long ways down.

Slowly we worked our way around the edge and these rocks. We would make our way to the higher peak then up it. We seen way off in the distance a rock formation it looked small but almost an hour later we were standing on it. The rocks had these warts on them mineral deposits that wash away creating it. We would have to be careful which way we stepped as they could cause you to trip and roll off the edge of the mountain.

At this point my knee was in bad shape I could not put any weight on it at all. The climb was getting more advanced we were leaping. I had to climb across a crevice putting my feet along walls and edges. Then jumping onto a plateau. We were doing it I made sure I made a video and took photos of the entire mountain.

We did not have much water 4 bottled waters and the last two we conserved with just a little bit slowly between breaks. As we climbed higher it became hotter off in the distance I could see a place called ice box canyon. Its amazing how steep the mountains look but when you get up to them you realize all of them are almost climbable.

We reached another small peak and seen off in the distance a figure of some kind it was tan. It looked like at first a big horn sheep or a mountain lion. Vegas is grabbing his heart he is scared he is like oh man what if it runs towards us were dead. I pull out my knife I am like dude trust me you will live he says all it does is up your chances against those 7 inch claws. I am like man I am stoned when I get stoned I am like superman serious man my knee was not hurting to bad. Vegas throws a rock hoping to scare it...the object was not moving at all it looked like it did but it was just a rock way off in the distance.

The desert plays games with you I sure know it I been to these places at night. But day and night are two separate things this place at night can be very eerie. I was looking for pictographs did not find any. Vegas climbed down this giant rock and all of sudden lost his camera....the batteries fell out....I seen his memory card fall out too. It was just like me earlier I dropped a nice sized roach cause it became real windy and I had to search on the rocks for it. Lucky it did not blow away into the desert that would have sucked.

When he climbed to a tier down he grabbed it put the batteries in and said its not turning on. I told him did you put the memory card in cause when you drop a digital camera you should do that or it will not turn on sometimes from the jault. He could not find it and it could have went down a crevice. I slowly climbed that steep rock down and in a dark place the memory card was sticking out of the sand. He popped it in and pow the camera turned on. Vegas was practically crying cause he borrowed the camera from his sister and thought he had broke it. I was like ehhh its a Kodak it will turn on and it did. Just a miracle that camera fell over 15 feet hit rocks haha.

I had my camera out at all times but I use my wrist strap but then it only allows me to use my left hand to climb which is no fun cause again one wrong move and your screwed. Lucky for me Vegas lent me some sneakers this morning cause my deck shoes have holes in the bottom. I mean its a different terrain in the desert you have a lot of stones and loose gravel without good bottoms to your shoes that could be a bad scenario.

Vegas was in bad shape he said Rick I am going to drink your water is that okay I am thinking to myself ummm cotton mouth from lavender Kush which by the way is just about the best cannabis in the world. The taste oh man and to be out in seclusion like that. Vegas was breathing hard he is a smoker period and he asked me again this is 3 hours hiking if I am tired he is like we myswell keep going were almost to the higher peak.

The thing about this mountain is its so steep and when you think you get to the peak you find that its just a plateau and that there is more upon more rocks to climb. We decided to call it a day Vegas had blisters on his feet bad. He asked me what to do and I am like lets just keep going man what the hell we only had perhaps another couple hundred feet to a steeper peak but we were at that point above all of red rock. I could see Las Vegas over the ridge real small off in the distance.

We did find on one of the peaks a rock formation with a giant crevice. I stood in that it was like a cave....the drop off was so high. I wrote the words Lord Rick and took a photo. It was quite a feat to get to this formation and to stand within in to. The white rock I found was like chalk It was 20 degrees cooler here and the view was breathtaking just miles of mountains and desert all within the site of a narrow gap I could walk through.

There was places we hiked that some people have not walked on in over a century. At this point my right leg was shaking around the knee area. I was in so much pain a slight bend...any extra weight would just make my leg give out. I do not know if I sprained it playing soccer or something but I started to place my weight on my left side cause I did almost fall making my way down.

We decided to head back down no water the temp. was rising also. The climb down was harder then almost going up. We slipped a few times and slid. I made a video ill put on youtube of me running...jumping rock to rock...sliding etc its very fast wanted to make the stunt video for my members pretty scare almost looks like a few times I will fall lol.

I got to see a humming bird fly past my face...a chip monk....giant lizard.....and a rock we thought moved lol. When we drove away we had to take the road around this mountain you do not realize how large it is till you drive away and only too look back seeing the cliff you stood on. Vegas wanted a good cardiovascular work out I felt it would be good for me to....Vegas kept asking me the entire hike how I can keep going and going. Then asked me why I take so many photos. I tried to explain to him that I document my journeys for my members to see and enjoy. That is why I keep going cause the more I see the more I can show YOU.

Anyhow we made it to the bottom and the ledge was 10 feet and steep we had to climb down that to get back on the trail to the car. We did find a way to get down that on some loose gravel and jumping to a few rocks. To see the car was beautiful we could not even see it anymore from as high as we were its just amazing how you could stand and stare at a mountain then all of sudden be like okay lets climb the damn thing. We both were very happy that we had no major problems just a few scrapes and little things.

On our way home we started talking about chilidogs....chocolate dipped cones....during the hike I got Vegas hungry talking about them 711 cheeseburger dogs then he is like Dairy Queen has killer food. I had not had dairy queen in years and besides I like girls for some reason that work at ice cream parlors not sure what the hell that is about but I thought why not.

I put back on my cowboy hat walked in Dairy Queen I got a chocolate dipped cone medium and a chili dog. Well there was a couple dudes younger then me working there. Vegas went over to play a slot machine me I am just laughing hysterically to myself thinking ha ha ha I am still alive honestly I thought my knee would give out and I would go over a ledge. It was scary probably should have gotten a knee brace who knows. But in my mind I was starving.

Well I added in the chilidog order and the dude makes them says hey man its on the house...the other guy making the cones gives us both larges for free to hahahaha I made out like a freaking bandit with the cowboy hat on lmao Vegas is like its stupid to wear one but it was not so stupid when they handed us everything for almost free.

So we ate the cone in the convertible I had ice cream on my nose...chocolate on my face...it was on my shirt....Vegas wanted some gas for the trip so we stopped I put some in the lady at the register is calling me honey and here I got chocolate all over my goddamn face like a child that just won the candy lottery.

I get back in the car ate the chilidog in 30 seconds Vegas is like savor it I am like lets see my grandma always said eat eat it could be your last meal well today I almost died and I didn't get a meal I was kicked to wake up and conquer red rock canyon no breakfast...no drink....no preparation just a few stretches on a boulder half awake and the other half baked. I will always remember this just to wake up climb a mountain that is fun.

I came home....had to run back out take my sons for hair cuts for school tomorrow. Then had to run downtown again and back. I crashed hard tonight was not even able to finish up the updates from Universal Studios but I will tonight.

I did not see anything strange but I felt the experience and training will be good for me when I can get back to California and the mountains. In all light of things we listened to some great tunes....did some extreme climbing and hiking....I got some great photos and I will put them on the site. I do very very few daytime adventures so this one will be cherished when I am able to put it all together on our site. We traversed a few miles on a 4 hour hike in the desert not bad not bad it can be done at least I know that.

Tuesday we have another similar adventure only thing is it will be at night as we traverse deep into canyons and desert. I will talk more about this exploration on my upcoming radio show Thurday!

Wild Wild West Baby......
Lord Rick

Profile E-mail