The Paranormal & Ghost Society Private BBS Hosted By Lord Rick At www.paranormalghostsociety.org
Our Bulletin Board System is designed for our subscribers and friends. It is a series of forums hosted by PGS where we discuss the functions of our organization and an innovating BBS which revolves around many functions within our group sign up its free!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Our Expeditions Of Burnside & Lake Dardanelles On - Nov. 11
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Our Expeditions Of Burnside & Lake Dardanelles On - Nov. 11 2013

Our Thanksgiving expeditions really turned out to be a blessing considering that we were able to hike in this region so late into the year. Normally in November its very snowy here and the weather hands you lemons. So any chance I have to hike or look for Bigfoot I totally take advantage of.

My reasoning however of visiting Burnside was to see if it would be well worth camping here in 2014 and it turns out this is a really awesome scenic secluded locale in the sierras. However Dardanelles Lake is much closer to Meiss and Round Lakes where we found a massive impression at. The only difference between them both is national forest.

We would pack up the truck very early I like this time of year because of the pumpkin spice coffee. Being an avid coffee drinker I find it enjoyable to drink coffee while offroading in the high sierras. To get to one of the lakes we could drive to the other not so much so one expedition would focus on the hiking while the other we would need our truck to get back into the wilderness.

When it comes to Bigfoot others must realize that not everytime you hike somewhere are you going to find evidence. It does help to know what to look for which allows you to easily collaborate your finds with other regions in the sierras that are more Bigfoot sensitive. Its also very easy to miss evidence all because you decided to take another path in the woods or you just did not happen to look down on the ground.

Burnside Lake

I was very surprised that the road to get here was left with the gates wide open. Out of the few times I have tried to get back here the road was closed and its a very long hike to get back in here. The road to the lake was very rugged allot of rocks, holes, bumps and mud. We would eventually reach the lake where I parked my truck right on its shore. I may even decide to set up my camp spot on the lake next year being that I can park along the lakes eastern shore.

The lake was quite low however I would use the muddy lake beds to search for tracks. The one thing I liked about being back here is that cliffs, peaks and hills surround the entire lake 360 degrees. Of course this time of year what lacks in beauty makes up for in seclusion. Being that it was November everything back here was brown. No green meadows and certainly no wild flowers to be taken in.

Since this was my first adventure at this lake my only goal would be to hike around it just to get a feel for the area. Along the way is thick woods in this bowl in this valley which you can hike up to just about anywhere if you want to get a good view. The western side of the lake has cliffs back dropping it however if you were to continue to take the dirt road you could park at the top of the valley on a ridge to get a better view of the area.

There were patches of snow in the woods and hiking along the lake revealed some massive rocks. Some campers had used some of the big rocks to shield a camp fire. While other ones were left alone sat there centuries ago from glaciers that carved out these valleys.

When I went around the lake halfway I found a couple partial tracks made by something could be human or maybe a bear. The problem is when snow melts around a track it causes irregularities!. I could not tell if the slight toe impressions were that of a bear or a bigfoot like track no less I document all my finds at least a good cryptozoologist should. As I can sit here and talk about it or just show you.

In the woods Jarrod and I found a cool tree swing so I jumped on fell flat first on my face no lie and I just sucked it up when Tammy asked if I was okay lol. I was not feeling to good as hard as I hit the ground but I got back on it this time managing to stay on it. If its there when I return next year the kids and I will have something more fun to do while relaxing at the lake.

I did not spend to much time other then finding camp sites for next year and covering the entire woods around the lake. But I did see a peak in the distance which I may have to add to my long list of mountains I have survived as well as climbed.

I spent my last half hour gathering wood along the road they have an area you can cut firewood down. I know when we came in we passed a downed tree and someone with trucks loading it on up as they were cutting it. Personally I found plenty of wood just floating around the canyon so I loaded up the trucks back storage area to the brim with it. It got us a few weeks through the cold months up here and I also know when I return it will not be hopeless to gather more for our camp out here.

I have read of some Bigfoot tales and I could see why this is a long long rugged dirt road to get back here. Its not the most visited site and there is nothing but wilderness out here. Anything could be back here when I camp will definitely put out a much more in depth expedition after winter when its nice and green up here.

I want to see and experience more all the places I generally camp are very primitive locations. Its better when I can get my truck back here with the dogs etc.  I will return so if you want on board this trip you got to contact me ahead of time because again we will return next time instead of a morning it will be a few days!

Our next site we would hike at would be Lake Dardanelles which its not to far away from other places we been to such as Round Lake. It was starting to push the afternoon so we had a journey ahead of us and knew we would be hiking well into the night.

Lake Dardanelles

The lake resides on the west side of Luther Pass which has a series of open meadows and volcanic peaks. To get to where we had to go we would have to hike on the Tahoe Rim Trail. Although this national forest relatively remains unclaimed it is part of the Tahoe National Forest.

Prior to prepping for our hike Jarrod and I would explore an old homestead. The homestead sat in a meadow with two old houses and merely a shell of its stables. This place is really cool because it also is one of the old homestead ranches remnants that still stand from this regions earliest pioneers. Of course this place is not as preserved as the historic Meiss pronounced Mice!

Jarrod and I took photos in all the on site structures including a few EVP sessions. Being this place is vacated it is also forgotten so hopefully we can at least bring to our viewers what is left of this great place. Despite the fact that the structures contained no furniture the scenery back is far from boring being overshadowed by the Carson Range. The back side of Job's Peak runs on one side of Luther Pass while the other side is the Big Meadow Tahoe Wilderness area.

Off in the distance in front of the ranch I could see the Carson Passes highest mountains all covered in mass amounts of snow. It was very apparent it had also snowed in this region to what extent I would not know till we set off for the lake.

The beginning of the hike scrambles into bunch of switchbacks which takes you over a thousand feet to the Big Meadow. Its called Big Meadow for a good reason which usually is graced by thousands of butterflies and flowers that was not the case. Tammy and I did see a couple butterflies even in November so we did not completely luck out. There was also a very flourishing creek that branches off from here near the Truckee River. The creek had plenty of trout swimming under the wood bridge and near some of the shallow shady spots found here.

The first time I was in this region was a couple months ago when we visited Meiss and Round Lake. This time around I would be on the North side of Round Lake. The trail splits off other directions too that includes to Scott's and Showers Lake. Once I complete those next year ill have an entire quadrant of the Sierra Nevada's complete. But for now our third lake would take us through Big Meadow into the forest.

Once we reached the woods we would descend down into this valley it was pretty rough but through the trees I could see less then a mile away the volcanic cliffs which overshadow Round Lake. There were patches of snow and ice but it would not get to bad till we had to ascend against on a pretty harsh trail that branches off to Lake Dardanelles!

When we reached the lake it was quite amazing as its overshadowed by an extinct volcano while the rest of the lake is surrounded by rock formations and granite slabs almost the entire circumference. This is actually noted to be one of the better lakes to fish and swim at. Better as in warmer perhaps this is because allot of the snow in the winter does not dump into here as it does bigger lakes in the region.

When we reached the lake the sun was going down to the mountains to the west across from the lake. We had a nice break on a granite slab which was leaning towards the lake shore it was a nice spot. I know that I would need to eat and gain strength for the hike back was just as treacherous. The trails alone up to Lake Dardanelles were covered in wet icy patches of snow. Getting here was very difficult especially since its an ascension and patches of snow were sometimes 50' so we were pretty tired.

I would rock climb down to the lake shore where there was these strange trees which were impassable at the time. The branches are so close together that its more like scrub brush so I would have to cut to my left in the woods go around a few hundred of them where I would push to the lake just below the volcano. It is there that contains about 50' of soft earthy lake shore good for recording strange tracks or impressions.

I remember the sun just dipped behind the mountains and I left my flashlight back at our breaking spot. Going in the forest was so dark that I pulled out the video camera to film me trying to carve my own path back to the lake shore. A few hundred feet across from me was Tammy and Jarrod just chilling.

When I reached the sandy shore I stood at the longest point of the lake so I had a nice view of the entire lake shore and the smaller hills which served as a nice scenic backdrop. But more so I found something very intriguing over here. There was a patch of about 20' of snow with three separate tracks two of them for sure had toe impressions but were separated by 10' to 12' while at the same time they were not deep enough to be human or a Sasquatch.  I am at this time not sure if these are ghostly footprints and not cryptid at all. I did record them via video and photos.

I heard Tammy and Jarrod calling for me so I finished up here then tried to get through the forest going around this mass of trees. Strangely this type of brush and trees only grew on the southeast side of the lake nowhere else. However it was getting to dark for me to hike entirely around the lake so we decided to pack up our packs making our way into the night.

By the time we hit the trails it was minutes before it was completely nightfall back here. We had already hiked back here over 4 miles and it would be another 4 miles back out. There is no short cuts unless you plan on camping back here which highly I recommend however for us we just pushed on.

It was a bit trickier at night because now we had to make a descent over patches of snow so there was allot of slipping and sliding heading downhill from the lake. I will say this it was overly quiet at night back here no animals, branches cracking, movement or anything. Just the dead of night and crunching of the hardened snow. It also became allot colder went from a 60 degree day to probably 30's once the sun went down.

There are certain regions that during the day here you can see Lake Tahoe and monumental parts of it like Red Peak. However at night all you see is the woods even in the meadow at night its a bit hard to follow since everything looks the same. But I can at least say I hiked under comet ISON the half of moon made no difference but we did make it back to the truck.

It was a really epic journey we worked just as hard going in as getting out. Its another place however I can knock off my bucket list. I live here because I not only enjoy this lands beauty but the peace is very nice. If you throw in the beauty plus the areas history such as the Luther Ranch it really is a grand exploration. Lots of monumental peaks, open meadows and stellar views. The lake and anything else plus that is just a bonus to the trip.

Next year ill be looking forward to hiking more on the Tahoe Rim trail then branching off to couple more lakes found just outside of Lake Dardanelles. I can imagine they will be just as great and scenic as this location. It was a nice trip not to often you can hike in the sierras this time of year. Generally most areas are off limits due to avalanches and heavy snow fall. You can only imagine how harsh it must had been for early pioneers who made there lives living off the land and ranching.

As much as I am an outdoorsman I do look forward to doing a few historic sites come December. We will not work as hard as this but it just shows how flexible we are of a group to go from Sasquatch hunting to ghost hunting! Ill miss the sierras it will be Spring before I can return and can only imagine what other key pieces of evidence the snow holds back in an area like this. I may not have found Bigfoot tracks but no less something was walking in that sheet of ice and snow barefoot. Whether it was ghostly or Bigfoot it just goes to show you that you can bend the elements in your favor.
Peace,
Lord Rick

Profile E-mail