The Paranormal & Ghost Society Private BBS Hosted By Lord Rick At www.paranormalghostsociety.org
Our Bulletin Board System is designed for our subscribers and friends. It is a series of forums hosted by PGS where we discuss the functions of our organization and an innovating BBS which revolves around many functions within our group sign up its free!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Our Crazy Journey Up In Central Northern Nevada & Great Basi
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:13 am 
Site Admin

Our Crazy Journey Up In Central Northern Nevada & Great Basin......

Sometimes I ask myself why things unfold the way they do and the reasoning behind it. I ask if their is divine intervention or how in one paranormal adventure can so many incidents transpire. Perhaps these paranormal investigations make good conversation pieces all the way from coming across strange paranormal events to being stranded in the middle of nowhere.

I want to continue to keep the momentum going regardless of the downs or ups within our group. It would not hurt also to have more dedicated investigators who really want to work as a team towards the same goals. I have to say that no matter how well planned you are you can never prep for what occurred during this past weekends ghost town mining trip.

It never ceases to amaze me with how many dirt roads go off in the Nevada wilderness. You can spend years just taking roads to ghost towns and mines still never finding it all. I spent a good portion of the trip offroading in the Great Basin. I did not find all location and some I had to postpone due to some very annoying incidents.

We would end up exploring Seven Troughs & Tunnel, Star City & Canyon and Winnemucca Historic Cemetery. Each place is unique all on its own Chris told me about Star City so I wanted to see the scenery for myself and I did more so then I wanted.

One of the great things about our group is that we do bring allot of supplies, food, blankets, protection etc. When people sit there and join us they should also know they are in good hands. I been doing this for years we know what we need to bring just in case of any issues that need attention.

Working out in the great Basin is amazing the desert, canyons, forest, lakes and mystery makes a great day of exploring. There is no sense in living in such a region if your not going to enjoy it to the fullest. The adventure starts when the pavement stops.

We would leave really early for this trip I was up at 5 am getting ready to head out onto the road little did I know id be coming home later afternoon the next day. Our investigations get wild and crazy we see so much all the time it allows others to live through what we do here.

We would head towards central northern NV its not really at all that far from Idaho just to give you guys an idea of where I travel sometimes. We take allot of long distance trips they require patience of getting there sometimes even finding the locations. Then at times some of them no longer exist and been removed. I see it all the time mines closed by the state for safety and it cuts out a huge part of our journey.

I never know what to see were more then a paranormal group we actually did a cemetery restoration in Seven Troughs & Tunnel. I have no regrets for the hard work and commitment we have dedicated towards what we do. Allot of folks think its all fun and games but it is not. Somebody has to do it and we are the group that has always come out ahead by being true over the years. So far 2013 has brought already so much to the table as far as the paranormal and it will continue.

Seven Troughs & Tunnel

We took a road for miles to get out here as eventually when we hit the mountains the views were amazing behind us. It was a brisk morning I mean 30 degrees is not exactly summer whether. Especially when your in a nice warm truck and you know your getting out for a couple hours to do an investigation.

I could see to our right a deplorable cemetery then off ahead of me up along tiers remnants of Seven Troughs and Tunnel. There was also a massive mine debris pile and quite a few structures. I actually parked right in the ghost town so how hard is it to get out and explore at that point? Tell that to some of the folks in the past who wanted to sign up and didn't show.

I seen some campfire wood I loaded it into my truck not just in case I needed it but to bring home to my wood stove. Its obvious people have camped in the town and they never really cleaned up after themselves. I suppose camping here would have its advantages as far as investigations go but being I found a marijuana grow house or a house used as one at some point in the past its obvious some come here for other reasons.

The big brick warehouse on the hill is the building that stands out most. Of course there was an outhouse and a few miner cabins scattered along the hillside. One of the miner cabins had a toilet build inside never seen anything like this as it was in the center of the room.

I also seen a five stamp ore crushing machine with a giant wheel. It was in very good shape near some ore chutes. I found a few foundations including an area with over a dozen of pillars. We found a couple old abandoned vehicles and machinery on the property. Tammy also found a porcelain insulator or at least a piece of one which could date back to the early 1900's used in insulating the power on the lines.

This town did have power or at least it came into play after the 1900's. We found a couple cabins built into the hillside. One of them had clothing and miner clothing hanging off some wall hooks. The other cabin was made of stone and wood it was full of rat droppings. It also had two beds and a bunch of shelves. Not sure who would spend the night in here but we had to cover our mouths inside for safety purposes.

On the hillside was to round circular concrete foundations behind the mine debris pile. I had hoped as I continued down this mining road behind the town id come across the mine. But instead I just found strip and open pit mines. Its possible that another part of the mining district may have had some tunnel mines but after a mile of hiking in a narrow canyon I did not see signs of anything other then antelope running across the open desert.

Tammy found a few bones one of them was fused with melted plastic maybe someone threw it into a fire along with other things. I also seen some very large coyote tracks possibly even bear. Yes some of the desert can be woodsy and contain some bear like the Pine Nut Mountains. Mixed in were mountain lion tracks as well so it was obvious as far in seclusion we were so were the creatures that lived here.

We found drums that had been used as fire pits and even etchings of peoples names in some of the wooden cabins. I found piles of wood a few piles of scrap metal but other then that the place was fairly desolate. The red bricked warehouse had three rooms each one with a massive hole in the walls.

Some of the mill had massive walls built into the side of the hill so it was obvious that the mining was done right in the middle of town. You had miners practically living a matter of a few feet from the ore processing that was done here.

Tammy was metal detecting and came across a rifle bullet it had never been fired. That was about all we found here. One cabin had allot of graffiti while another one was just an empty room with open windows. We found an old water tank below the mine debris pile which at one time stored water to be used in either drinking or with the ore processing.

There was a cabin not near the town I found filled with sand and gravel bags. I also found an old horses trough just a common thing you see in the wild west. Back in the day horses and ox were heavily used to transport goods.

We took a ride to the cemetery although many graves were just piles of stone as foliage grew between them. You could tell the children from the adults as some graves were 6' long while some outlines were only a couple feet. Most of the crosses fell over or were on the ground. I fixed every single cross in the cemetery Tammy found some flowers that had blown off a grave replacing them. We tried to spend sometime doing a cemetery restoration prior to leaving the town. I do believe that the when I take a look at before and after you can see a big difference.

We did get some EMF readings is one of the miner cabins other then that the rest of the investigation in the ghost town was EVP and photography. Sure I took videos I know how much you guys adore them so I continue to film for our friends.

Tammy and I did our best to do what we could do for the cemetery. I did have a few other mines to investigate we never found them. We found the remnants of one of them but nothing we could go into an explore.

Our day would get allot more difficult as I was heading into the town of Lovelock I had gotten a flat tire. Three spots on the tire were bulging we were not far from the gas station. I was not happy about this but I put in a can of air then seen where it was leaking from. When we pulled into the gas station I ended up buying two more cans of air then putting on another tire. It seemed like the flat tire we had taken off was not in the best shape but it could be used if we needed it.

I left Lovelock again the tire I put on was doing great we went exploring again tried to find two to three places never found none of them. Which is okay because it was a scenic drive and it just helps me get to know the region for my next adventure out here. I decided that since there was not much of daylight left it was time to visit Star City & Canyon this is where things get a little bit hairy.

Star City & Canyon

This is some beautiful country off in the distance you could see the mountains were covered in snow. The road that cross the desert eventually starts to meander in a narrow canyon. The canyon has a creek so allot of foliage grows along it before entering the canyon I read the plaque covered with bullet holes.

I was not sure what I would see I know not much remains of Star City but if you explore enough you will find remnants of its existence. I only had about an hour and half of daylight so I just wanted to ride up the canyon to get some photos for our site.

The further we went up into the canyon the icier it became the snow was only a few inches but I had to be careful. Along the road is a steep ravine imagine how it was driving an icy dirt road along the ravine. We managed to nearly get to the town site I probably had no more then a mile or two when my truck began to struggle going up the ice covered road. I was wondering as to why this was happening I had it in four wheel drive but was at the point of parking and just hiking the rest of the way in.

I came across a small dam and pond I did stop here to look around. The canyon was growing dark the sun did not hit the canyon this explains why it was so chilly here. I seen in the distance a massive stone wall on the otherside of the creek.

As we made our way up the narrow canyon road my truck was stuck then it slid all the way to the right. The truck was at an angle at the edge of a ravine stuck on top of some brush. I just thought I was stuck but that was not the case the tire was going flat you could see most of the air gone thus I was not getting any traction.

I took the shovel out of the back of the truck and actually shoveled up all the ice around the tires. Tammy sat in the drivers seat while I stood on the back jumping up and down. It took us nearly a half hour to get the truck completely turned around. I took two flat rocks while the truck was a bit lifted placing one under the flat tire the other under the front passenger tire Tammy put it in four low and puhpow it budged. She had to keep the truck moving so here I am holding on for dear life to the back of the truck while she was going down hill tires spinning on the ice till she could stop at a patch of ground that was solid. I had to run back a quarter mile to grab the shovel and we had to get out of the canyon as we were losing air by the second. Sadly we wasted two more canyons of air on the tire to get us out of here and they were not plugging the hole.

As we made our descent down the canyon Tammy drove through the snow and ice it was easier because it was downhill even with a fairly flat tire. I looked to my right near some woods when all of sudden a very thick stick came flying at me twirling like a boomerang. It hit my passenger window with such force that I thought it broke it. My son seen something standing in the woods staring at us said it was big and he sounded really startled. I am not sure if it was some hermit....maybe Bigfoot who knows I just know that it attacked out vehicle and wanted us out of the canyon.

When we left the canyon the snow and ice vanished as we crossed the barren lands till we made it to the ghost town sign. Once again for a second time during the day I was changing a tire. This time around I was doing it with it nearly dark out and I had to use the partially deflated tire I took off earlier. Two flats both unfixable in one day what is the chances of that? We still had at least 14 miles to the next town but first we had to get out of the mountains.

I read that a hermit at one time was killed in Star Canyon because he was trying to cause harm to hikers. It is possible his ghost haunts the canyon sadly I only took a few photos and a couple videos here. So when I add it to our site were not going to have much content or evidence on Star City. We barely escaped with our lives here between sliding near the ravines, flat tire and our vehicle being attacked by something in the woods it was a real hair raiser. If we did not have a flat and there was no snow I may have gotten out with my shotgun to scare whatever it was hiding in the trees watching us.

We did change out the tire the one with the massive bulges it could blow anytime and made it to a truck station travel center. Of course they did not have air I was going to fill it up then try to make it to Walmart tire center. Sadly we ended up parking at a tractor trailer trucking center that does small repairs including tires. But it was all for big rigs a lady named Kimbra who worked the desk tried so hard to help. She was going to give us her spare tire if it fit then she started calling friends including her husband. Nobody had a 15 and the tire center at Walmart closed at 7pm so either way we were out of luck.

We had to have the truck towed to Winnemucca just about twenty miles up the road to Walmart and just wait for morning to come. We didn't even know if they would be open Sunday morning. As some of you are aware small towns are usually dead on the weekends. We did not know where our night would lead it cost us so much in gas alone just to travel out this way the new fuel pump is not working right its guzzling gas the float is all off but at this point we knew we may have had to just buy another one of Walmarts lousy tires. Apparently the tires I have do have a defect they bubble outward causing un repairable flats. Walmart is supposed to replace them instead they charge me for the tread rather then just replacing the defected tire.

When the tow truck dropped us off at Walmart it was not to bad I seen the cemetery up the road and the parking lot was lit. We figured we would just put on our warm clothes, blankets and spend the night in the truck. The problem was is that something big was going down at Walmart maybe a bomb scare or robbery so everybody inside was kicked out including some employees. Well Tammy told me to take it down to the gas station put some air in it see if it would at least patch up the tire a bit more being we put foam in it earlier. We figured we could park the truck somewhere else since something was happening at Walmart and people were clearing the parking lot.

We made our way down to Cheveron a quarter of a mile down the road as I was putting some air into the tire it exploded in my face. It was literally so loud that people came running out of the gas station thinking a gun went off. I lost my hearing temporarily and to make matters worst a bracket came loose on the exhaust that I had to fix. I had to get under the truck to fix it because it was causing the exhaust to rub against another tire melting it slowly so yeah nearly up to three flat tires.

I decided that I was not going to let the entire night be a bust I packed up my gear went down the road to the Winnemucca Historic Cemetery. Its very large and sits on a hill so with nothing but time on my hands to kill I figured I could put in one really awesome cemetery investigation. I handed Tammy a radio left her with the gun packed my backpack and did some old fashioned Lord Rick ghosthunting. On my own I produce some pretty good content especially if I spend a few hours at a cemetery I can generally get the evidence that I need.

I was really sad and let down at this point you talk about down n out. I was filthy with dirt head to toe. I had a gash in my hand from the tire and it was getting very cold. I was bummed about the two flats but more bummed that I did not complete my expedition up in Star City all just a couple videos and pictures. At the same time It now makes me want to go back I want to know what threw that thick boomerang like stick at our truck who or what! As the winter weather comes through I may just have to wait till April that way I know the snow is melted and the trees here are blooming. I do want to return to Star City as there is nothing worst then to deal with an icy road and a flat tire that is getting no traction on it.

I would enter Winnemucca Cemetery with a bit of hesitation not out of fear but out of the fact that I am not a local and there are cops everywhere. I really didn't want to go into the whole speech of who I am and that we are stranded for the night. But I felt a good ghost investigation would at least give me a piece of mind so that I could get some rest knowing I gave it my all.

Winnemucca Historic Cemetery

This is an amazing cemetery its so well kept you have historic markers along side newer ones their really is no discretion between the two. When I walked in I seen many types of graves such as statues of angels and even a giant wood cross. I seen stones made out of marble and even a row where the graves were inches apart.

Some of the graves were surrounded by white picket fences while others wrought iron. I remember seeing a few really nice statues here including a vault. There were some illegible grave markers made out of wood. Most of the graves had flowers while others towards the back had been tipped over or vandalized. I seen one grave that had been mended by some cement while another one the top had broken off.

As I walked throughout the cemetery I heard someone moving around or something I was not alone. I am sure that whatever was here could sense my frustration I was under allot of stress of how I was going to get Tammy and Jarrod back home. There was a state trooper across the street didn't see him till it was to late he was facing the cemetery watching me walk around and take photos. At that point I just did not give a shit he left me alone and that was all that mattered.

I spent nearly three hours here at night visiting over five different sections and every row. I did not miss any single area of the cemetery even though its nearly a half of mile long I covered every square inch of it with EVP recordings, EMF and photography. I would talk more about it but instead I made the next morning a long historic tour video while waiting on a tire that way you could see the statues, historic stones and relevant pioneer graves.

Not only are there burials here from Winnemucca but interments from other boom towns that once resided in the area. I am willing to bet that some of the people buried here lived at one time in Seven Troughs and Star City.

I did notice allot of the graves were written in Spanish some graves had rosaries around them while one was incased in glass. I seen a husband and wife have two separate grave stones that were twin angels. All around it was nice full of big trees, grass and hilly so at times I just sat down to relax.

I seen some areas that had concrete slabs just broken or ripped apart kind of odd its like someone took a sledge hammer to them. The only annoying thing about the cemetery is that its close to downtown so allot of cars pass by it and the lights tend to blind you. I could not see the stars or get allot of silence to listen for anything ghostly.

I made a night video sort of speaking my emotions and decided when the sun came up id do a daytime tour. I must say during the day its amazing on how much more you can read. One grave on the backside had a poem on it that talked about Christmas. There was this family plot surrounded by marble pillars and all marble stones. I found a few graves with fine masonry work from back in the pioneer days it was a nice treat.

Towards the end of the investigation I took out of my bag a large beer I was suppose to drink it in Star City it never happened. But I hoisted it up to the dearly departed and said here's to you and me. I can guarantee you that I spent all together in this cemetery 3 to 4 hours worth of my time reading tombstones and working with the entities here. I then climbed up a hill where I seen massive dark stadium lights. I said to myself this is where I am going to drink my beer sitting at the ballpark ha.

Well when I got up to the top of the hill there was a fence so I followed it around so I could enter the park. I figured id goof off at the park but most of all drink a brew and settle down for the night. Well there was two guys in a pickup truck I had no choice but to walk past them. It looked like they were doing a drug deal wrong place wrong time YEAH! I decided that when I entered the park I would go as far away from the truck then cut into the ball fields area through the gate.

Well when I nearly reached the gate the guys started up there truck then started to look for me. They were driving crazy looking like made slowly drove right past me as I stood behind a narrow piece of wood and trash can. I really did not want to be arrested for fighting or have to use a weapon on someone so I took the best precaution and barely made it into hiding. If I did not they would have ran me down or over for that matter. The guys became frustrated and they left its probably a good thing I was not in a good mood id kicked some hardcore ass.

I sat at the ballpark in the dark drank my beer did not see one star Winnemucca is to bright of a town. This was my incentive to return out here I did not want to ever give up. Flat tires happen bad things happen it comes with the work that we do. A true paranormal investigator knows this and if your truly working hard it comes with the pros as well as the cons. On my way back to the truck I found a piece of wood right next to a Burger King lol I just laughed thinking at least once I get home I will have this piece of wood to warm my home.

I was cold all night long Tammy and Jarrod had blankets my bone spurs in my neck were killing me. My seat lever does not work thus I had to sit up all night and morning long. When Tammy woke up she used the phone at the hotel got us breakfast at McDonalds. Walmart was open but I would have to be stuck carrying the rim to them a half mile up the road. It was cold getting out of the truck in the morning to try to get this dang tire off and jack it up. Winnemucca is surrounded by mountains most with snow however it was a sunny day it actually by mid afternoon got up to nearly 50 so we would warm up quickly.

I went to film a movie at the cemetery but also went there with Jarrod to show him around this was to finish up the case for our viewers. While Tammy was waiting for us to get back from searching for my wallet a local guy who owns a tire shop offered to go home get his keys to the shop then fit one for us. Him and his wife came back asked for the rim then minutes later came back with a tire. They were so worried about us getting home they filled our gas tank because we just didn't have anything we were stranded. So ill be definitely advertising his tire shop on the Winnemucca Cemetery updates that way we can help advertise his shop get him some business. You do not find to many good people like that anymore maybe its good karma from working on cemetery restoration in Seven Troughs or just the fact that generally most of the people surrounding these smaller towns are a little more wholesome and kind.

We hit dodge there was a sigh of relief Tammy works out here sometimes but she did not have any of her friends numbers. We were just lucky to have some nice folks ask if we were okay and needed help. In light of things we got home safe and are bringing our viewers a really amazing cemetery. Tammy looked at me passing through Lovelock as we seen another old cemetery and she said so were going straight home right? I was like hell yeah! It will not be my last time in this region we love it out here lots of ghost towns including the cave of the red haired giants along with some UFO mysteries.

I will say one thing we had plenty of food and drinks so it made the ride home more bearable. We passed this one road on the backside of Star City that leads to a big mine it was on our agenda but we looked at eachother and said next time lol. It was amazing how snowy those mountains are and the fact that we were up in them. As we passed Star and Thunder Mountains I just couldn't wait to eventually return here perhaps when we get some different tires or when we feel like taking a few more risk. With a little bit of luck and chance we barely got by with the skin of our teeth lol. But as I told Tammy we still visited three really great locations and I just know our members are going to value them even more knowing all we went through.

When we arrived home Tammy had to still drive out to Reno a 50 mile drive nearly. Well yeah the truck broke down on the highway some creepy guy tried to get her in his car. Three state troopers passed by and the fourth one stopped to call road side assistance. It turned out that the little piece on the starter was busted how who knows we drive nearly a few hundred miles home no problem which goes with the saying that all vehicles are just a big pain in the ass. But it also goes with the fact that if more cops maybe stopped to help those stranded there wouldn't be so many missing people in NV who are never seen again yet there vehicles are found on the highway.

All in all Seven Troughs & Tunnel was an amazing mining town and Star Canyon is really gorgeous. But in the end I still want to know what through that piece of wood at our truck window. I want answers and I cannot wait to see other mines as well as ghost towns in the region. Like I said in the beginning of the report it was a crazy journey with so many things all occurring in a one day time span. Who would ever think in one day I could be attacked twice have two flat tires and arrive home the next day. You always have to plan for the worst and hope for the best. Sometimes you just have to be thankful that you are alive. I am a little tired and soar from this past weekend but we pulled through okay.

It is unfortunate we really do not have a larger team but finding investigators to work together is one who are loyal are hard to find. It puts us at a higher risk and the investigations are more dangerous without having a couple more team members. I am hoping by the time we go back out to Star Canyon exploring we have more involved. This is my story and I am sticking to it. I am proud of Tammy and Jarrod for keeping cool and calm working together only leads to success not failure even if we didn't make it to all our locations or finish Star City. We can say we were there and we will be back so embrace the journey! My next vehicle is going to be a jeep with big tires and hell it wouldn't hurt to get chains for them too lol.
Peace,
Lord Rick
Founder

Profile E-mail