The Paranormal & Ghost Society Private BBS Hosted By Lord Rick At www.paranormalghostsociety.org
Our Bulletin Board System is designed for our subscribers and friends. It is a series of forums hosted by PGS where we discuss the functions of our organization and an innovating BBS which revolves around many functions within our group sign up its free!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Our Investigations Of Sugarloaf Mtn & Mill and The China Slu
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

Our Investigations Of Sugarloaf Mtn & Mill and The China Slums Virginia City....

Every year around the holidays we try to bring our viewers an entertaining month and some of the more finer investigations. Sometimes we do so many more places then what you even see on our site just to explore them for future investigations.

I consider myself very lucky to live where I do within a few hours of me are hundreds of paranormal hotspots some just waiting to be uncovered by our team. What I love about what we do is that we never know what we might see or experience.

I put in some really good brakes the evening before for our trip. I even purchased two extra lights the team can use they are super led bright focused flashlights that is great for small areas such as mines. We need all the lighting we can get especially when we do the more hazardous locations such as caves and mines.

Our main focus would be planned in Six Mile Canyon which resides just outside of Virginia City. Some of the first mills and mines began here in the state of NV. Today within the cottonwoods and brush many of them remain at least the remnants.

Knowing the fact that the canyon is haunted and there are also stories of hidden gold. Ill tell you what driving down the road at night is eerie. I have done a few times leaving VC so its important that during the day we do recon scouting its roads, trails and other areas of interest before we ever take it up a notch.

We would have a full team for this which would include Kit, Ted, Ellie, Tammy and of course me. I would never plan an investigation I couldn't go on no matter what. Its to exciting not to come across the strange and I felt that I did as the day went on.

So I am happy to share this report and story with you as you know anything could change on a whim. We never know what we might come across or go off into. We just know that it exist for us to explore and then you can only hope that it produces great evidence.

Another reason I had planned to go to Virginia City is I never seen it lit up for the holidays so I thought for everyone on the team this would be a treat. I have been out every year on the holidays investigating right along side decorated Xmas trees and its a beautiful time of year not to be out.

The weather was good, warm and skies were blue. Tammy and I picked up some snacks and sodas for the team then we headed on off meeting everyone at St. Marys Church which is another haunted site I have worked with a little but we do plan to investigate it in the future more thorough. Our investigation would began here as we would hike, climb, visit mills, mining sites, offroad and even a stop at the Chinese Slums.

Sugarloaf Mountain & Mill

Sugarloaf Hill or some refer to it as a mountain is this massive egg shaped rock formed by volcanic activity. When you sit at the Bucket of Blood Saloon you can view it as it sits just outside of town. Honestly I have always wanted to stand on top of it so I could see if we could find any other areas close by to investigate little did I know that I had more questions then answers afterwards which ill explain later.

As we took off from the church I was riding down town when this elf came out of a building waving to me. Yeah its not to often you see Santa driving a 4.4 down main street this seemed to excite the elf lol. At that point I didn't feel to out of place actually I felt more at home then ever before as on our way to Sugarloaf we headed to some tunnels for daytime pictures.

The tunnels unfortunately seemed to be collapsed at least the one did the other one probably was on the other side. Most of Virginia Cities underground tunnels are either closed off or collapsed but are rumored to be haunted. When we made it to the tunnel entrance I found a hidden geocache. I was the first one to sign the logbook promoting our group that way if any geocachers find it they can check us out. I was not thinking at the time but should have left some business cards inside for them. I found in the cache a superball which I gave to Kits daughter as with geocaching you can take from it and put something in even if its just change. Its a fun hobby and I have gone on a few caches in Pennsylvania years ago with Jim a previous investigator for our group.

We spent sometime hiking near an old mine it was a bit muddy so many people dumped their appliances here right behind some of the houses. There were allot of trees back here but no mines just debris piles. It was a good way to start off the day as we would be increasing this to a much larger site which is the tiered Sugarloaf Mill.

We found a place to park in front of the Sugarloaf Mill. Trust me people fly down this road so its very limited as to where you can do so. My goal was to explore the mill ruins then to get to the peak. Not only can you see all of Virginia City from up here but it gives you an entire look down into the canyon so it really goes with the mill which is at the base.

When we gathered our gear and made our way up to the mill everyone split off there own ways searching around. I noticed that the entire mill was made out of large stones held together by Mortar which looked more like a crumbled fortress. There was also a brick wall and allot of remnants from the past like rusty bean cans. I am not sure how many tiers we climbed but I believe the mill climbs at least 8 to 10 tiers up the bottom of the mountain until it gets very steep.

Ted, Ellie and I began to get ahead of the group slowly leaving the mill towards our backs. Tammy was behind us but she twisted her ankle and I just told her take your time come when you can. Kit was near Tammy and she broke her foot on walking over some rocks. That is the downside to Sugarloaf their is allot of crushed loose rocks surrounding the mill so you have to be very cautious when walking up it.

As you gain elevation the crushed rocks tend to vanish then it all becomes rock faces and massive rocks that you can climb. We would push on till everyone began to look like ants that includes my truck which was so small. The wonderful thing is that from above I could photograph the entire mill which is going to look great on our website.

Although from afar Sugarloaf looks smooth and less harsh when you start to reach its crown it is composed of several rocky peaks some higher and lower then others. We had to figure a way to work our way around these in order to get to the peak. I was very impressed with the progress of our climb it was really Ellie's first rock climb to and she is allot like my son. Kids can do amazing things they are definitely more agile then us old folks.

We would work our way towards the first crown when we came up on a couple ridges they were drop offs so we had to start cutting to our left in between two of the crowns. Ted did well with finding a few paths up to the top it was like a rat maze sometimes climbing 8' walls then dropping down on the otherside. Eventually we made our way and you could see brush growing up at the peak.

At where we were I could no longer see the mill just the scenery around us which is a beautiful high desert mixed with woods and pretty rock formations. When I made it to the top the first thing I did was scream. Although this is not the highest or hardest mountain I been on it was a challenge. Ted and I had to stop and talk about our next move every so many feet. There are drop offs at certain locations so you have to learn to weave through them so that you can get to the top.

When we made it on top we took a bunch of scenic photos and I also took some video footage. Their was a Cairn not sure if anybody is buried up here and an American Flag which is frailed. . The winds were very calm up here and the peak had some brush on top of it but it wasn't very large. It was less then a 50' area to stand on but we had views 360 degrees around us. Many of the mountains were higher around us but all them canyons we seen had mines and mills in them. We even seen Carson City and Dayton NV from above in the Carson Valley. Virginia City off in the distance looked very small but you could see it to its entirety.

Ted took my Santa photos on the peak which you may see in our upcoming poster for our radio show airing Dec. 21st. Hell he even captured me taking a sip of bourbon lol. I needed a drink after climbing this mountain ill admit it was a rough climb. If you didn't have all hands and feet wedged in the rocks you were going down. So all three of us helped one another and it worked out nice. I was blessed to have Ted with me as some of you have known for years allot of hikes, climbs etc I do by myself it isn't fun unless you can share the adventure with others. We were all safe, unscathed and the view was rewarding to go with the haunting's that take place at the mill just a few hundred feet below.

We could not stay long so we found a fairly safe way off the backside of Sugarloaf. As safe as it was to get down off the crown we eventually hit a forest with millions of loose small rocks. This is where it gets tedious because you have to sometimes slide, side step and even crab crawl your way down. I tried a few times walking down and my foot stubbed a rock hit my knee so hard when I flew forward I had to sit for about 10 minutes. Ted and Ellie took a different path down as I cut to the steep right coming around the otherside of the mountain. I wanted to get ahead of them so I could run back and pick them up with the truck. I didn't want Ellie walking on the road hell I didn't want anyone walking on this road even me haha. The vehicles fly down this canyon some of them get drunk at the pubs and there isn't hardly any shoulder.

When I reached the opposite canyon on the otherside of Sugarloaf I no longer had to deal with the rocks just allot of thorn brush but the ground was softer and grassy. Like a child I slid 12' down an embankment of dirt landing on my feet right onto the road. I jogged back to the truck Tammy and Kit were chilling out glad to see some faces. I grabbed the truck only to pick up Ellie and Ted down the road. I was so happy that this adventure worked out the way it does and that everybody got some adventure out of it. Tammy made it more then halfway up but she hit a rock wall that was to high for her to reach and climb. So she headed back on down and unfortunately we couldn't hear her to help her up. We may have if Dave the Dick didn't steal my other two way radio months ago.

So everybody was in the vehicle and we would tread down Six Mile Canyon to see what else we could find. I want to return to this mill at night not to climb Sugarloaf but to actually do an EVP session around some of the earliest foundations that we stood on here including the massive stone walls. I may save that for next year hard to say we try to make a run at Virginia City a few times a year adding new and old places to our site.

Our next stop I would try to take us at would be a mining district where I found a lake and two abandoned large mines. Sadly what disappointed me is that many of the roads were now gated. As opposed to last year they were not but the state is starting to get more strict about blocking off these mines which sucks for a group like us who has done some major mines throughout our career.

We would find one dirt road which we took that led us to a massive hill my truck could not climb. I gave the team their first offroading experience with me so they seen how crazy it gets driving along steep edges, washed out roads and over rocks. This is the wild west for you thousands of dirt roads all of them lead somewhere whether its a ghost town, mill or mine. The problem is finding the sites some of them may only be small holes in the side of a hill or foundations buried under sage brush.

We parked at this hill that was so steep my truck couldn't climb it and when I tried I fell on my face flat. But eventually at the top of the hill was a giant open pit mine. We spotted two mines both looked like they didn't go far back so we let them be. I could not see the lake but I did see one of the larger peaks in the region which that mine is located at its bottom the problem is how to get there. My guess would be is in the Spring were going to park and hike on foot that is how will reach them. Based on my calculations most of them are within a two mile hike and its fairly flat the entire way so if that is what we have to do that is what we will do because these are some of the largest tunnel systems in the region and probably very haunted.

When I reached the truck some guy in a jeep was coming down the road not sure he might be working at one of the mines in the area or this might have been his land. The thing is that generally when its a single lane road the best thing to do is hit dodge. I stepped on it and I actually lost the guy as there wasn't anything out here anyways but a rough road. Trust me without my four wheel drive we would not have made it their are some big dips and everyone was bouncing up and down lol.

I did take the team to another mining district which has a series of dirt roads but again more open pit mines. We found however what appeared to be a natural shallow cavern or hole in the side of the mountain. All of us got out of the truck and went to check it out. I cannot tell if it was once part of a mine and collapsed or if miners dug out this small room. Their was a hole inside the rocks that Ted showed me and when I looked at it I concluded that behind that rock wall may have been some subterranean tunnels. It looked like it continued on in the pitch darkness and I have no doubt. Their is so many undiscovered caves and tunnels under the United States that its hard to tell how deep or far they go. Maybe we should carry a sledge hammer and try to enlarge holes like this seeing where they lead who knows. What we do is not just about ghostbusting or chasing the strange its about making new discoveries as well.

Another stop we would make is a series of roads on the north end of Virginia City that travel past some of the first mines that were built near the town. We have a few of those locations on our site actually but this time we would go searching for the Hebrew Cemetery. We must had went down this dirt road a few miles passing close by to massive debris piles and including two ranches. We never did find it not sure if it even exist anymore I know on one of the mountains is the star of David but we didn't even see that. It was dark but I must had gotten out to look around with my flashlight a few times and all I ever found was rail ties or wood post. We have just have to go here during the day and look around this is one of the only cemeteries I have not been to since my relocation here.

Their were two mansions they were all lit up for Xmas beautiful homes very peaceful and secluded. I just am wondering if it is true that every grave has been knocked over by vandals and that is why we had trouble seeing it because the brush is consuming it all. Even though we were not getting much done we still were having a good time driving around looking and exploring that is what its about.

We decided to change up the night and look for Julia Bulette's grave site Ted had an idea where it was. I had no problem stopping here it was dark out we all got out to do our part and find it. It was so overgrown as we made our way through narrow tunnels of brush that it blocked out the night sky. A few times we thought we found something and instead it was a foundation. I do not think that the gravesite was an appropriate burial site considering that today its not being maintained and perhaps someone stole her tombstone which just pisses our group off even more. Again, we may have to come back during the day for this one but I have a feeling we may not find it especially with all the overgrowth.

Something strange did happen here I was walking with everybody when we came across a steep mine debris pile. I am not sure if it was Tammy or Ted but when they shined their lights on it and so did I. I seen this black shadow it was not me it had a Fedora Hat and was solid as night. It caught me off guard I was a matter of feet from it. It was a shadow person no doubt as where I seen was like it was standing on the debris pile. Then on all sides of us was heavy brush and trees so it was very dark back here.

We eventually parked at the church sadly even on a Saturday it was already closed here it was only around 6:30 fairly early but the entire town was dead. Hell there were no people walking around everybody was warm n snug inside there homes. The temperature was dropping lucky for me I had many layers of clothing so even though during the day it became a little warm I was okay when the sun did go down here.

I could see the giant V on Mt. Davidson all lit up with Xmas lights many of the shops dimly lit and it appeared that we were all out of options. Ted and Kit had to go home she had to get her foot taken care of. Many of our injuries in the group are usually sprains, muscle pulls and scrapes. Kit did remind me of a place called the Chinese Slums which had there own little district in Virginia City. I had visited them during the day quickly didn't think much of them but since I was just up the street from them Tammy and I decided to check them out that way down the road we could do a followup investigation of this place.

Virginia Cities Chinese Slums

The slums remind me of an old western town as the buildings are made out of wood with long rectangular windows on the outside. They are surrounded entirely by an old boardwalk with two rows of homes all side by side. Some are connected others are separated by a narrow alley. The large alley that separated the sections of housing dead end at a barn where the Chinese would raise livestock at to feed there families.

The entrance is very overgrown with scattered wagons, metal, safe and even an old hearse with a coffin inside of it. Their are allot of old artifacts you see here that you see in allot of ghost towns. You see broken glass, bolts, pieces of wood, rusted cans etc etc. The property at night is very dark compared to the rest of Virginia City.

The setup inside the buildings was a bit odd as the halls for one were extremely narrow. There were spiderwebs everywhere including allot of junk. I am not interested in sifting through anything I am there for the ghost. But you could tell some of the buildings been ransacked which makes me wonder why people do these things. Parts of the insulation and ceiling had been ripped down as well.

The first building which was the longest entered into a room then into a kitchen with two separated bathrooms side by side. There was two separate bedrooms and a large walk in closet inside. The one bedroom was barely big enough for a bed so you could tell these people did live in poverty. At one time I am sure these were rented out for housing as inside everything was modernized including the stove, fridge, toilets and bathrooms. However just like most places we go it had been gutted such as exposed foundation along the main hall which descends a little underground.

I did not feel uneasy inside but I felt a presence in here watching us we had woken something on this investigation. Perhaps because I mainly focused on EVP so I spent allot of time trying to talk to the presence that was here. Tammy and I never spent much time inside as you know the air here was stale as well as musty. One of the rooms had carpeting while another had a broken ceiling light. There were boxes,blankets, mugs, magazines etc everywhere scattered room to room. There was an old antique dresser with a mirror it may have been left from back when the Chinese lived here hard telling but it was not a very large piece of furniture. You could tell it was hand crafted just the kind of things I like to see on investigations.

There was also an office in this structure to so based on my finds this house had to be owned more so by a much more wealthier Chinese resident. As opposed to the next where someone smashed in a window I walked in and see a structure with just two bedrooms. As I peered in some of the structures some only had one room plus a bathroom. Their was also a small shed which looked like an outhouse down one of the alleys.

When Tammy and I reached the end of the long alley we started to smell fresh Chinese food emanating from within the alley. Their is no houses around and we were surrounded by a complex of small residential housing on every end. I have to admit this was very odd but I also know that with some haunting's you can smell perfumes, certain foods, scents etc. These are residual occurrences and that is what I believed we were experiencing.

Tammy also mentioned to me hearing a voice very close by and I have to admit I heard something while I was talking. It sounded like it came from inside one of the boarded up houses. Most of them were boarded or they had chains on them such as the two story red barn. Most of the structures are connected or were set up like duplexes and fourplexes so that multiple residents could live side by side. It may even be possible based on the shape of some of the buildings that maybe the Chinese had some of there own shops set up here. I know during the fire many structures in this area burnt down so perhaps this is all that is left of China Town which means that ill be doing what I can to preserve it through our website for all our viewers to see and appreciate.

I noticed with the two homes I did explore they had the whole his and hers bathrooms. The second structure had a beautiful large cabinet. The room it was in had sleeping bags, luggage and blankets. I am willing to be this place has seen its fair share of homeless people and squatters its just ashamed that someone would go to the extent of breaking an entirely historical window put in a century ago.

I did do a photo blasted of the entire place at night this includes the front of the slums and the central long alley. What I also noticed with each structure is all of them had a front and a back entrance. So despite there size you could enter into the structure more then one way. I can tell you that the longer we stated here the more eerie I felt. I felt watched I felt more then one presence around us as we roamed the dark alleys of the slums.

In the background you could hear a dog barking dogs are very popular in Virginia City everyone has them so its not uncommon. I did finish off the night taking video footage of the hearse Tammy then took the camera to finish off the video so I could free my hand and talk. I felt very cold around the slums and I knew it was time for a beer. As we were about to call it a night I did capture a couple photos of ghost Tammy examined it and she says the apparition does look Chinese. We do believe based on our finds that the slums are haunted which seemed less of a case with Sugarloaf but then again at night sometimes things are a little more active.

Tammy and I walked downtown everything was decorated for the holidays. There was Christmas trees everywhere and colored lights on the outside of all the buildings. The windows had Christmas lights and decor it was very beautiful. We had downtown entirely to ourselves which next year I am doing a ghost walk of VC so if you want in on it during the holidays you have to contact me. I am focusing on the apparitions of Main Street!

I could have done it after the slums but after the day we had it was party time I needed two things a cigar and a drink lol. I was a bit upset that the Bucket of Blood closed so early in the winter months people go to pubs yet its not even 8pm it was locked down. Instead we went to the Delta Saloon which has the cursed Suicide Table and allot of historical artifacts. The place was barren there was a dog running around the saloon which I patted on the head. We ordered a couple Suicide Pale Ales and that shit was pretty good. We also ate popcorn then discussed the investigation and were able to use the bathrooms. I hadn't gone in 12 hours I was so wrapped up in this investigation and into it. That is how you know your dedicated its when you do not flog the dog lol well maybe that came out wrong but you get the idea.

Both of us looked tired but we had a good time and when I got home I couldn't wait to put in a good horror movie. I want to thank Ted, Ellie and Kit for coming on out. They had a really good time and I am glad to have had them come out for this. They got a real look into what we do which is a diverse wider ranged aspect of how we mix adventuring into the paranormal. I mean we started off exploring to climbing all the way to offroading then roaming high brush in the night. This is who we are this is what we do and every location is unique in itself.

I would love to return to the slums in the future as well as the Sugarloaf Mill at night to see if this ghost story holds any truth at all. In addition finding Julia's grave, The Hebrew Cemetery and a few other sites would be great. I know we get allot of readers to my report so if you have something in Virginia City whether its tunnels, mines, mining camps, secret locations etc pass them onto me or legs join forces. I had allot of fun being in Virginia City these holidays was a real treat to the crew and even for me. I would say I finished off the evening on a paranormal note it seems like once the sun goes down things go bump in the night surrounding this historic wild western town.

If you would like to gift The Paranormal & Ghost Society we are in dire need of new supplies. Everything that is sent to me I use whether its safety gear, flash lights, spotlights, detectors etc. The gear I get is not for me its for my team including the junior paranormal investigators since my son is one and Kits daughter came along on this last trip. I always want to make sure we have enough gear for everyone to use, share and enhance our investigations. I am also looking for night vision tools like a cam and anything we can use in our hollow earth expedition in the future. You can gift us at paypal at: pondercorp57@yahoo.com or you can snail mail us at The Paranormal & Ghost Society, PO Box 6175, Gardnerville NV 89460 we want to wish you a lovely safe holiday. Just wait....wait till you see what we are investigating Dec. 22nd its a place like no other we have ever done so state tuned including our doomsday show Dec. 21st and our Holiday Party Dec. 17th! Peace
Lord Rick
Founder

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Our Investigations Of Sugarloaf Mtn & Mill and The China Slu
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

Kits Investigation Data Log

December 8, 2012
Data Log Virginia City, NV
1100- Arrived in Virginia City, NV to meet Lord Rick and Tammy for a PGS adventure. Sunny skies and no wind. The temperature was pleasant. Lord Rick, Tammy, Ellie, and myself, piled into LR's suv and set off to explore an old mine shaft.
1115- Arrived at the entrance of an abandoned mine shaft. It had been filled in and sealed off with wood. LR reached
inside to see if there was an small opening and discovered a Geo Cache. Inside were manuals, a mardi-gras silver beads and a child's pocket sized green rubber ball. LR filled out the log that PGS had discovered it, and he promptly put the cache back in its hiding place.
We walked around the location perimeter looking for other mine shafts. None were to be found. The area was very rocky, and alot of quartz visible. LR and Ted took off into a steep ravine to explore. Nothing of interest. Tammy took photos, and I poked around the edge of an open mining pit. Found some very old fragments of pottery.
1145- Our next stop is 6 Mile Canyon to check out an old Mill site from the early 1800s and a climb up Sugar Loaf Mountain. The five of us embarked on the journey up the mountain which stands at an impressive 951 ft. at the peak from the main road. One fourth of the way up, the foundation of the old mill is still intact. Several stone walls scattered about the sage brush and rock. The masonary work is impressive and well constructed to withstand the harsh winter environment of the Sierras.
The climb was steep with alot of loose rock. We had to side step many portions of the mountain and climb over some very large rock formations. It was a good workout and exhilarating. LR, Ted, and Ellie were eager to get to the peak. Tammy and I took our time, taking multiple pictures of the terrain, mill, and far off mountains.
At the base of the large rock cliff while side stepping up a steep incline consisting of loose rock, I felt a "pop". Immediately I knew that I had refractured my left foot. I sat down for a moment to check the damage. My only option was to make my way back down the mountain. I called out the rest of the team to let them know I would not be continuing, and made my way back down.
1225- I arrived back down at the abandoned mill site. I took my boot off and assessed the damage. Left foot swollen and turning purple along the fifth metatarsal ridge. I take off my scarf, and began hacking away at it with a sharp piece of rock to make a wrap. I then wrapped my foot and elevate it on a rock. Nothing to do at this point but watch the rest of the team make their way to the mountain peak. They appear like tiny ants from the distance. LR waves at me. They are making excellent progress.
1225-1500- Foot is swelling badly and I am in alot of pain. I am alone sitting in the old mill site. Despite the injury, it is a very zen moment. The only sounds are of a creek across the road behind me, an occassional rifle shot echoing through the hills, and an occassional car on the canyon road. The sun is at my back, the blue sky and mountains are breathtaking. I can see Virgina City off the the distance.
I take photos and write in my field journal. I begin to feel the prickling of fear crawling up my spine, as I realize that I am totally alone in a remote location and injured. The rest of the team has been gone for a few hours. Just as the fear begins to crest, A very calming, peaceful feeling comes over me. I sense the presence of other energies around me, and in the back of my mind I hear a male voice tell me I am safe and not alone, and that "they" are there too with me. I do not know who "they" are, but I presume them to be former workers of the mill that have no departed into the afterlife. I wish I had an EVP detector with me!
1400- The sun is beginning to settle behind the mountain. I am getting a bit cold not moving around like when I was climbing. I drink some water, and get up to move around a bit and get my body temperature back up. The temperature reads at 37 Farenheight. I hope the rest of the team makes it down the mountain before dark. As I think this Tammy appears from the other side of the mountain. I am happy to see she is ok. Then LR appears from the road. He slid down the back side of the mountain to get down quicker. Crazy! But that is Lord Rick for you. Tammy slid also and I assured her the ass of her pants were still intact. Lol. Lord Rick informs me that he ran two miles down the road to get to us and Ted and Ellie will be coming the same way. He is concerned for them and does not want them appearing on the road with impending darkness. We get back into the suv and head down the road where we find them walking. Picking them up we head out for our next stop.
I am ignoring my foot. It's already broke and I cannot bear the thought of sitting in an ER and not continuing on in this adventure. Not much can be done for a stress fracture anyways. I will get medical attention in the morning.
Next data log in progress!
-Kit
By: https://www.facebook.com/kristin.starr.52

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Our Investigations Of Sugarloaf Mtn & Mill and The China Slu
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Data Log- Virginia City Part II
December 8, 2012
By: https://www.facebook.com/kristin.starr.52

1615- Lord Rick, Tammy, Ted, Ellie and I are in the SUV continuing up 6 mile canyon to explore some abandoned mines. The first mine was not accessible; the road heavily gated, and the mine not visible from our location. Numerous warning signs of "No Trespassing" are plastered on every vertical surface. We continue on to another mine location.
630- We are now traveling along a very rustic, narrow, bumpy dirt road leading to the next mine site. Thank Heaven for Lord Rick's excellent 4x4 driving capabilities. We are bouncing and rattling all the way up, careening left and right, until we pull off to a steep incline. It is now dusk, Lord Rick and Ted climb the hill to see if the mine is accessible. From what LR says, the mine would be a good hike in, and it is not visible. With darkness approaching it is not viable to try and locate for safety purposes. We are too far out that if there was any trouble, we could not have help arrive until the following morning. We pile back into the suv in hope of discovering another accessible mine.
1645- Night is approaching us quickly as we arrive at the final mine pit. The temperature has dropped vastly tp 22 degrees Fahrenheit. We can see our breath hang in the air with each word. Off to our left, there is a large cave high up on a hill. My foot is throbbing, but my drive to explore inside this cavern far outweighs the pain. Ted takes the lead and helps balance me as we move quickly up the hillside. Ellie is in hot pursuit behind us. The hill is muddy and rocky. LR and Tammy took off to the lower side to check out the mining pit. Killing two birds with one stone, we are racing against nightfall.
I limp my way into the cave, it is larger than I thought up close. It smells damp and musty as I expected. I see a one foot hole to the left and crouch down with my mag light. I can feel the cold air emanating from it. The light source is not strong enough to penetrate the darkness within, but I can tell it is very deep.
To my right the cave is approximately 20 feet in length. Ted and Ellie have now joined my side, to our delight we can fully stand at full height inside the cave. In one area the cave has a good seven foot ceiling of solid stone, water is dripping from the ceiling. In the far left corner of the cave is a deep niche. I shine my light inside to find a very cozy looking nest of sticks and leaves, numerous small capsule like scat are in a pile below. Obviously, this is some small rodent's dwelling. Shining my light along the wall, I find a 3x5 ft. area on the cave floor that has been filled in with industrial grey colored gravel. It is apparent this was a mine shaft, (time period undetermined), but man made a very diligent effort to fill it in.
1720- At this time, LR and Tammy return from the lower ravine they were investigating for the mine entrance. They join us in the cave. LR takes a great interest in the small hole leading into the mountain's depth. He speculates that we could very well be above a large underground chamber. He makes a note that we will come back another time and see if we can discover if there is more to be discovered under this cave.
Night is now upon us. We leave the location and head on to find a long forgotten grave of Julia Bulette, a well known prostitute and early settler of Virginia City in 1863. She was murdered in 1867.
More to come....
-Kit

Profile E-mail