The Paranormal & Ghost Society Private BBS Hosted By Lord Rick At www.paranormalghostsociety.org
Our Bulletin Board System is designed for our subscribers and friends. It is a series of forums hosted by PGS where we discuss the functions of our organization and an innovating BBS which revolves around many functions within our group sign up its free!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Our Exploration At The Great Basin...."Giants Cave" & ....
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

I never thought about ever exploring the Great Basin until I took an interest in sites like Grimes Point and the Lovelock Cave. Hearing about mummies, ancient bones, petroglyphs and even giants is enough to capture the interest of any true adventurer. The more I continue to journey within this region the more fascinating the mysteries are. When we started our group back east I never thought in a million years I would be climbing red rocks and chasing legends. However the legends of ghost and giants within the wild west hold more truth then the ground we walk on.

One of my favorite things to do is pack up the gear, cooler and all our investigators riding off into the sunset. In this case it was the sunrise since the Great Basin is very vast we had allot of road to cover. So off we went packed my coffee and couldn't wait to go deep into the Great Basin. The basin at one time was filled with a massive lake so large it was more like a sea with waves crashing along its shores. Today what is left is a vast desert with little water except a few lakes that were formed from ancient Lake Lahontan receding. Such lakes formed during the last ice age when glaciers covered most of western Nevada.

Driving through the basin gives you a feeling of being small afterall for miles all you see are rocks and mountains. There was an area I past that were salt flats man if I had a dune buggy it just might be to fun lol. Our ride would be a long one as we would enter the town of Lovelock where I visited an outdoor museum. I really couldn't stay long but it was cool seeing the old wagons and century old tools. At one time there were many ghost towns in this region so we have to assume that the artifacts have been collected from those locations.

However before there were ghost towns immediately after the last ice age man settled in this region. This would make the great basin area as old as ancient Egypt and the mummies found within it are perhaps older then the ones discovered in the pyramids. So you can imagine my excitement to be able to hike around the area and see if I could make any discoveries of my own.

We had reached the turn off which is a 21 mile stretch most of it dirt road deep into an area called the Humboldt Sink. The deeper we traveled down the road the more I fell in love with the massive dark mountains as it meandered along the edge of them.

We had came across a herd of wild cattle being rounded up by local ranchers. This kind of would offset our investigation a bit as all I could see was the asses of about 100 of them trotting in front of my truck stirring up dust. Welcome to the wild west these are the kind of things you deal with out here unlike back east.

The weather was very cool but no snow on the mountains so I had hoped for a nice day and we got one. Even though the great basin is a high desert there was allot of large trees and pastures as we made our way to this ancient site. Luckily the cattle went to the right and I was taking another road to the left. Our journey would began and after it all I had wished it never would end.

Giant's Cave
(Also Known As Lovelock & Horseshoe Cave)

When we arrived on site it was so quiet you could almost hear a pin drop. There wasn't really any winds and we were kind of nestled in a canyon nearly surrounded by hills and mountains. Behind me I could see the dirt road we just came off on and Humboldt Lake miles away. We grabbed all our gear then packed for a day event with allot of hiking involved.

I could not withstand the suspense so my goal was to immediately get to the cave check it out for anything strange then go from there. We would take a narrow trail on a steep hill. We knew where the cave was as when you are driving up the dirt road it is visible at the top of the hill so it was just a matter of getting to it via foot.

It was hard to believe that at one time waves battered this cavern eroding away the rocks. When we approached it I found nearly three entrances into the main cavern. The main cavern is about 150' in length by about 50' in width. More or less its a massive room where very little light seeps down into it.

The cavern was very dusty there was allot of sand and it appeared that all of us went our own ways. The ceilings were black this was because at one time the cave was being used as shelter. The natives would hunt then cook there foot inside the cavern. The smoke would tar the caverns ceilings black from it.

But more importantly prior to the local natives burying thousands of artifacts within the cave there was a large race of red haired giants that dwelled here. These giants were here long before the natives arrived and they were at war. Food within the great basin was not an easy find so those giants ate the natives then there was a war. The giants were slaughtered some became mummified and were buried in the very cave they dwelled. Today most of the finds including the giant skulls can be seen at a museum in Winnemucca.

The cavern was a consistent temperature and at times I thought I heard when I was by myself whispers. Those whispers could have been an animal or maybe the spirits of the ancients. Afterall the giant bones were not the only discovery here. They also discovered bones here that were 9,500 years old perhaps some of the oldest in North America period.

My son he found some bones in the cave they were hollow which meant they were from a bird. It was obvious that many forms of wildlife have been inside this cave. I found droppings from desert rats and mice. I am sure mountain lions and even bats use the cave regularly.

The cave had allot of limestone rocks scattered throughout while there were some areas that looked collapsed. I am almost willing to bet based on my study of the cave there is a possible hidden entrance going down deep into the hill. The problem is that it was at one time heavily excavated so you could clearly see where holes were dug into the rocks. I also found a crevice about two feet wide as if over time earthquake activity has took a toll on the cave site as if it was being split in half.

Jarrod and I found a smaller chamber within the cave with a soft sandy floor that is where he found the bird bones. I thought that was a bit odd but then again this cave held allot of secrets. The natives would bury there weapons and tools sometimes as deep as 4' below the caverns soft floor.

Briefly we did get some readings on our new ghost detector we were still trying it out as its a new EMF tool. The readings were not very high but there were a few within the cave itself. I am sure if I spent most of my day here I could have worked a bit more with ghosts and such. But I was primarily interested in just being here and having that freedom to explore. I did take EVP's they are still under review and then I wondered would any of them even be heard in the English Language?

There was movement in the cave Tammy thinks it was an animal and what kind who knows. But I didn't see any birds or bats yet something kept moving around in the cavern. I spent a fairly long time exploring every inch of the chambers and the only thing I seen here is dust. But again a few times I heard some noises that I really had no explanation for.

Although the cave is very historic there is a creepy feeling here. Back thousands of years ago the local natives piled sage brush up at the caverns entrance. They then lit it killing all the giants inside thus for our team its a very relevant location to investigate.

I had done allot of filming here including an on the spot interview. As some of you are now aware for the last few years I have been focusing on media production. We will continue to take our productions to entirely new levels in the future. We want to not only show you photos of the locations we go but we also want you to feel that you are there with us when we are exploring so I went a bit crazy with the filming here.

We would then take the exploration to another whole new level afterall this is not the only cave in the region nor has the entire great basin been explored. We would hit the trail coming around the backside of a hill where we would ascend across the desert to an area where we found red rock cliffs and formations. My goal was to find arrowheads and petroglyphs sadly I didn't find either but my son found some really cool rocks.

The landscape here was also used for hunting of course at one time it was also flourishing with water thus there probably was more foliage and wildlife. We would take a lunch break at the red rocks which reminded me a bit of being up in Sedona or the Valley of fire. They were massive and most of them were eroded from the winds and waters.

It was getting later in the day so I had to make a decision such as do I move onto the ghost towns or do I continue to explore. I would only have time for one ghost town and made the decision to continue on the expedition here. My son climbed the red rocks and had a good time exploring. I however had another game plan in mind one that would involve just me since it would be dangerous.

I would climb the steep mountain side then work my way up the sheer red rocks which would take me up onto a ridge/plateau. The further I ascended the smaller Tammy was looking. I realized I was very high up but could use this as a vantage point to get some great photos of the great basin and find other possible caves.

I thought the climb would be a cinch but then realized that the loose rock required at times for me to be on all fours. There was some thorns and prickles which I ended up getting in my shoes. Here I was laying on my back on a steep mountain side cleaning out the earth from my shoes. I would end up being left with a sheer rock wall to climb. Well as I was climbing it I couldn't get my footing and every rock I grabbed crumbled in my hands. At one point when I tried to get a grip the rock gave way and I almost fell backwards to my death. When I reached the top of the wall I then had a steep hill to climb up through thorn brush with the sun in my eyes. I didn't know how much further I had to go I couldn't even see the top but surely I could see Tammy and Jarrod waving to be hundreds of feet below.

I had finally stood on top of this narrow ridge which overlooked the entire Humboldt Sink. It was kind of eerie to think that at one time this ridge was beachfront property to ancient lake Lahotan. I took some scenic photos then decided to follow the ridge all the way up to even a higher peak. This climb was not as tedious but it was steep and tiresome. It was either climb or deal with possibly getting some serious road rash back down the side of the mountain. I was not ready to go down just yet I figured if I am this high up I should just continue to explore a bit more.

I followed the ridge up to an area where it split off to two more peaks I went to the right which was one of the higher mountains within the sink. I could not believe my eyes as 360 degrees I was surrounded by high desert mountain ranges. There was nothing but wilderness for a 100 miles at every angle. I could see valleys, washes, canyons, cliffs, mountain peaks and lakes.

I stood on the crown of the peak which is just this little red rock with drop offs on all three sides. You bet your ass I celebrated on top relishing the moment. I tried to envision how the natives seen these lands and beyond a shadow of a doubt I am sure at one time they stood on this peak looking down at the Great Basin. I felt lucky to have gotten to see the basin at the top of the world and ill never forget it.

I did get some high EMF readings at the peak not sure why but its a spiritual place. There is allot of mysteries to ancient places in the basin everything from UFOs to entrances into the Hollow Earth. In this case these lands were roamed by red haired giants who also probably stood on this crown based on the fact that it overlooks the entire great basin 360 degrees.

I didn't see any caves but who knows what is down in some of those canyons then again when the lake receding it may have collapsed some of the limestone cave entrances surrounding this mountain. I took a time out and I laid right across the little red rock looking up at the sky. By this time the temperature was in the 50's not bad for a winter day. I was able to do some filming up here sadly not entirely with my HD cam since my batteries went dead but you get the idea I am on top of the world lol. I put my camera on a tripod taking a photo of me standing on this tiny red rock it was intense. My truck looked smaller then a fruit fly on a rotten apple from up above. I then realized how small we are in the universe but not just that but on planet earth.

I would began to make my descent which probably is allot more difficult then actual climbing. The problem is with this descent is that you cannot get footing. At one time volcanoes graced this area so the rock is very loose and it crumbles each step you take. Based on the steep hillsides some of them you cannot look over so for example you could be walking down the mountain then right in front of you there is a cliff. The problem is that without good footing one wrong move might mean death. The ability to lose your footing rolling right off the cliffs and so I had to tread extremely carefully.

Jarrod seen me working my way down the area where the red rock formations are abundant. He met me half way up to spot check me as originally I was near one of those drop offs and was trying to go around it to get down. If it were not for him to tell me which path down to take I may not have been typing this report right now. The desert no matter where in the west is generally similar. There are good paths and deadly ones particularly with most of these mountains which are full of cliff sides.

Tammy had wondered why I was gone so long she was starting to worry. She knows how I go off exploring and disappearing sometimes for hours on end. If it were not for explorers like us in the world all these great places people would never get to learn about or see. I was fairly happy to be hiking back down into the basin. I was pretty exhausted and knew that our adventure was only half over with.

I would have to traverse back to civilization and eventually into another secluded area called Rochester NV. You always have to be careful when you offroad down these rugged roads for miles. You might get a flat tire or stuck or encounter someone who isn't right in the head. I do allot of offroading to places most people don't even think about going to. We never know what we might see or find or even discover at the time.

I would like to visit this location again maybe explore some other places based on future information we receive from our viewers. What I can tell you is that when this goes onto our site in the near future your going to enjoy the beautiful photography, videos and history. This place is very special and we will treat it as if. There is no doubt in my mind that if these giants were discovered at this location that perhaps other less traveled areas may also hold similar secrets.

Rochester Nevada

I had a choice it was either visit Rochester or another ghost town where Mark Twain once lived. The problem is that one ghost town was inhabited the other one not so much so. I chose the not so much so since I wanted to be able to bring our viewers a spooky ghost town with a day and a night investigation.

I was battling against nightfall the sun was starting to set as we spent a good portion of the day up at the Lovelock Cave site. When we pulled off the highway there was this very beautiful scenic road that went right up into a canyon. One of the roads would take us to the lower Rochester area the other one to the upper section.

After taking the road to the lower section of Rochester I was disappointed to see a public mining operation and so I had to turn around. I decided to visit the more historic part of the town which is the other canyon road we passed earlier. I was trying to beat sunset so I was definitely kicking up allot of dirt into the area speeding through the canyon. I have to admit though it was super scenic back here as the sun was setting glistening off the red rocks and cliffs.

On the way traversing to upper Rochester we seen about 10 wild horses grazing on one of the hillsides. Some of them looked back at me as I took some photo and video of them. This road would continue through the canyon where there were many dirt roads that split off. You could easily tell that these roads led to different sites that once at one time stood here.

Nearby was also a windmill up on a hill and giant water tower. We also found a narrow part of the canyon littered with giant cottonwood trees and a pond. There were ducks and geese in the pond would have loved to check them out but again pressed for time so my only concern was to explore the town prior to nightfall.

When I came up over a hill to my left I spotted the remnants of a giant mill along the hillside. I then knew I had reached the town site or what was left of it. The mill was an amazing site as it climbed multiple tiers up along the entire hill. I explored rows of the stone and wood climbing each tier to the top. Throughout the complex you could see wood beams and sheet metal. There was also metal rods and a few small tunnels that I explored.

By the time I reached the top of a mill I spotted another mill adjacent to where I stood. I also started to plot out my investigation as on a one of the mountain I seen remnants of one of there main mines. I seen a head frame from afar and other structures so I decided to save that location for last and focus on the town site itself for the time being.

As I made my way further down the road their was an entire hillside littered with debris such as old iron stoves and relics of the past just rusting away. I also found down some of the roads remains of about 5 homes in deplorable condition. Behind some of them there were some old water tanks which would be used to store water for drinking and mining.

Along the road Tammy found a historic plaque I thought that was pretty cool. This is a well visited area so you could tell it has been vandalized as beer bottles were everywhere. I guess people know how to party but they do not know how to clean up after themselves. The town was named after Rochester NY. That is one of the reasons I chose to investigate this location as some of you know I am from Buffalo NY. I use to go to Rochester frequently to investigate a decade ago. But I can assure you the Rochester NV town is less friendly and has been lost to time unlike the one in NY.

As the sun was going down I could make out cliffs and even volcanic rock formations piercing through the ground. There was allot of debris out here such as bed springs, barrels, drums, tools and scrap. Allot of the brush was high so there probably is allot of foundations hidden throughout the area as well. I did not explore all the roads but I offroaded down a few didn't see anything but open desert and high canyon walls.

The sun was almost down so we grabbed our gear then hiked into the high desert. There was a couple houses on each side of the road however they were not easily accessible we did have to make our way through sage brush. I was able to enter most of the houses however almost all of them had no roofs or were in despair. The structures were made of wood so allot of it was very unstable however some of the houses not so much. But almost every structure we found was a mere skeleton however it was obvious that at one time these homes provided the miners shelter. One home had an old frame of a rusty couch while another one had a wood bench inside.

We crossed an old dry creek bed which led us to a couple more houses they were in far better shape then the couple homes we toured. There was a barn that we explored that was pretty cool they had a trough inside and a pen of some kind for smaller animals. There was another house that was larger then the rest it had three rooms inside with a giant cottonwood growing in front of the main entrance. There was also some kind of tool shed we went into lots of signs of rodents inside there good stuff.

All the housed looked as if a tornado hit them as sheet metal roofing was scattered and mangled. Behind one of the homes was a small room built into the hillside which was probably used as cold storage for food. Back in the day they didn't have fridges so you kept your food in a storage room, cave or grotto where the temperatures were cooler then direct sunlight.

We eventually came across our first mine which when I entered it there was a small rusty fuse box however massive iron bars which would not allow me to continue down the tunnel. Once a place becomes touristy that's when the mines are sealed off or closed off. I was a bit disappointed this was a beautiful tunnel system in the mountain and very stable. It kind of is a bummer they sealed it off its been awhile since I have explored a decent mine.

As we went up the road following the canyon below we actually came on up to the top of the second mill. There was no way I was going to take the wood stairwell leading to the lower levels as it was collapsing and deplorable. Behind the roof of the mill where I stood in front of was an old telephone pole so it was obvious that Rochester was a more advanced mining town. Not all mining towns had electricity while others received it later through mans modernizations.

We were not getting any EMF spikes throughout the town as a matter in fact this place seemed all to peaceful. The stars were out the air was crisp and it was so quiet out here. I had the entire town to myself so I was just enjoying the exploring. All of us did agree that the town lacked on one thing that is paranormal activity so at this point all we can do is examine our evidence and hope we got something. Not every place we vsiit is going to be haunted and the unexpected may happen when you least expect it so I decided to continue on.

We made our way back to the truck and I pulled right up to our second mill of the evening. This mill is basically a giant wooden shell built over tiers of concrete. This is probably where the gold and silver was processed. I did climb up inside the mill to nearly the top where I found an old office. There was a small room high above me with a wooden stairwell leading up to it. However the stairwell was deplorable and collapsing so there was no way to get up there. Next to the mill was an old sheet metal storage shed perhaps an outhouse but nothing really exciting. I have to admit the mill was pretty cool to explore as there were spider webs everywhere and remnants of there mining operation.

I would finish off the night taking this dirt road up to the top of the canyon where we would explore the remaining mining operation that overlooks the town below. The road was becoming to rugged so I parked the truck and we packed our supplies for a night hike up to the top of the hill. There was a few meteors gleaming across the sky the moon though wasn't out so it was dark as hell out there.

Along the way to my left was a bunch of barbed wire fencing behind it was a deep mine shaft that went straight down. I was able to get close enough for a photo but still it baffles me how they will bar a safe tunnel yet leave a hole in the ground that someone could fall on into. I have to say this is where the investigation became strange. Tammy found a pair of brand new prescription eye glasses unscathed just laying next to the mine shaft. As bad as it sounds I have a bad feeling about this as if there might be a body down there. I have done some research and found out there is quite a few missing people up in this area. These glasses were in very good shape and perhaps someone dropped then when hiking but again I thought it was odd to see them laying on the ground next to this deep black hole.

We continued on the dirt road I am glad I didn't drive it we would have gotten stuck even with 4x4 it was bad. When we reached the top there were a few wood structures just walls, two machines and a massive head frame. Unfortunately below the head frame was a deep shaft it looked as if the elevator was missing and more then likely this shaft may have connected to the mine where we found the eye glasses directly below. So that told me right there that this is a pretty deep mine and I didn't attempt to climb the ladder either down the shaft.

There was a workshop also near the head frame and allot of scattered debris. It was a nice night all the stars were out it truly wasn't to cold out and it was time for me to drink me a brew. Our night was done we worked hard I ran some evps drank my beer then began our dark hike back to the truck. I felt pretty accomplished as we were able to get both day and night photography of Rochester. I took a ton of night vision films exploring the houses and documented the eye glasses. I think we did a very thorough job with the exploration and now we were prepping for the long lonely drive home. The ghost town is going to look real nice on our website everything from photos to history!

I didn't think that Rochester was very haunted at all not like some of the towns I been to before. Maybe the mines are a different story who knows or maybe we didn't see the entire town. These ghost towns are vast and sometimes many sites are hidden by sage brush. However the perk of this trip is I was able to enjoy a good sunset in a ghost town that was ours for the night.

The drive home was pretty rough after a few hundred miles of driving it was time for Tammy take the helm. Some of my investigations we drive in one night 400 miles its not easy to explore then have to also drive that kind of mileage. However we continue to do it as the west is vast and every location I visit is unique in its own way. The scenery is picturesque and the history is grand as at one time these towns boasted life. When I arrived home I was so exhausted I burnt my pizza lol!

I had quite an adventurous day touring a cave where giants once dwelled to climbing some of the highest peaks in the great basin. I walked amongst a ghost town named after a city in NY that I used to explore. I offroaded chasing legends and explored places very few ever get to see. But you as the viewers will get to see all of it plus some and you will not be disappointed. This was a great way to start off 2012 and hopefully it will set the tone for great things to come. This is a year I have allot of special surprises planned for our members but also for the investigators.

Sadly at this time we really are having problems finding long term good explorers. Some people do not want to go out in the cold others hate to hike while some are only infatuated with these paranormal TV shows so they perceive our investigations to be like television. I guess to put it lightly this is what makes us such a special group is that we will do the places most other paranormal organizations will not do. Some places turn out to be more paranormally active then other locations but in the end after coming on home I can clearly state that each an every adventure is the adventure of a life time. You only live it once and I like to consider my group one of the more active ones left in the country who does more then just sit around at some haunted house all night. We work hard at what we do and its sad that at times we have to journey alone.

I really cannot wait to return to the Great Basin region as you have ghost towns, caves, ancient sites and a very picturesque desert. We have trips planned soon to Alcatraz, Winchester Mansion, Yosemite, Black Rock Desert, Bodie and even Death Valley. There is never a dull moment in the wild west as the horses roam free and the paranormal is everywhere to be discovered!
Lord Rick
Founder
Producer, Talk Show Host and Author.
www.paranormalghostsociety.org

PS Both of these locations should be available sometime this week on our website!

Profile E-mail