The Paranormal & Ghost Society Private BBS Hosted By Lord Rick At www.paranormalghostsociety.org
Our Bulletin Board System is designed for our subscribers and friends. It is a series of forums hosted by PGS where we discuss the functions of our organization and an innovating BBS which revolves around many functions within our group sign up its free!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: My Exploration At Grimes Point June 11th 2011
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

I have come to the conclusion that no matter what I do or where I go life is always going to be an adventure. This is why I decided years ago to get deeper involved with what I do because at times you get to live for the moment which at Grimes Point I did just that.

For those of you who are not aware Grimes Point is an ancient petroglyph site with what is rumored to be one of the largest in the United States and most accessible. I am a lucky paranormal investigator to reside in such a great part of the country. Due to this factor I am bringing back the days of old as we sought out to explore this archaeological wonder.

This would be one of my children's last outings as they are gone for the summer and I wanted it to be memorable. In allot of my investigations I involve my children and as they learn they have also been educated far beyond most adults when it comes to safety and explorations.

We started off the afternoon having lunch at Round Table Pizza it beats anything else they have in northern NV. The ride was a bit of a jaunt for me but when something is on my mind I have to check it out. As you know we go anywhere and do anything so going off into the desert also made me a bit worried as with warmer weather out comes snakes. I have spent the last past year studying information on snakes which can better help others learn too little did I know that I would experience one of my closest calls with a serpent then ever before.

I have learned over the years that what I do for a living has its rewards as long as you respect mother nature and locations such as these. Grimes Point was a place where adventure comes alive in a series of hills and mountains that take you to caves in a vast wilderness.

As I continue to reside near Tahoe people are starting to share with me many strange locations. Our group is truly doing well in this region and we are very lucky to be here. Although at times we chase ghost we also chase legends. Grimes Point is just that legendary and at one time like most of Nevada this sandy and rocky terrain was 400 feet below the ancient mighty lake Lahontan.

As we drove down a dirty road it would take us along the side of a series of hills where you could park in this giant canyon laced with caves on the hillsides. Our adventure would began here and it almost ended here as well I give to you Grimes Point!

Grimes Point

We set off to hike to a location called hidden cave sadly I missed the tour and the gate was locked up. The entrance was made for a hobbit so even getting a tour might end up more or less being rather difficult without clunking your noggin.

Along a ridge we hiked many types of lizards were out on various rocks staring at us with curiosity. Since I been in NW Nevada Tammy and I have photographed some various species of lizards we come across. More or less I have fallen in live with nature in this region so you can think of our paranormal society as not just a ghost group but a group that documents ALL living things.

I edged along a narrow trail following the mountain side it was steep but in the end it led me to a cave that went about thirty feet back with a sandy soft flooring. My kids ended up climbing some of the volcanic rocks behind the cave and all in all it was a really pretty desert view from up here.

On the other side of the canyon was burnt cave and another large cave which was partially collapsed while a small hole led up through the caverns ceiling leading to the outside. My son went into the cave then climbed up out of a hole on top of the hillside.

Both caves one above the other were very large and they sort of had some seclusion from the elements. The caves provided some safety as they were nestled in this canyon along the hillsides. So nestled that burnt cave doesn't reveal much of what occurs outside of it so technically its back up in the hillside where the sun barely even reaches its floor. So the cool air felt good here as some of you know I am from Buffalo so I like overcast skies with cool air lol.

One of the caverns we climbed up into I felt was a bit strange perhaps this is due to the fact that we found secret passage but not sure how to get past it. I am willing to bet what is on the other side might be something an anthropologist might be interested in.

As far as the other cave it was pitch black as night which may have been attributed to the natives which cooked and burned fires inside the cave at night to keep warm from the elements. I felt something in burnt cave and the bottom of it is very sandy so kicking up dust does not take much but a little walking. During a video my son stirred up dust you guys will get to see the videos from this location eventually.

Hiking out of the canyon was pleasant Tammy who has an built in Ipod in her cell phone was listening to some rock music. We were walking down a trail when a rattle snake about 6' almost slithered inches from her feet. I grabbed her really fast and prevented her from stepping on the snake. She did not see it due to the fact the rattle snakes in the desert blend in with the terrain.

I sent her away then I followed the snake to some shrubs near the trail where its rattle was shaking violently. I then moved in on the snake staring at it just a few feet away eye to eye. The rattle began to slow down eventually it stopped completely. I then took a few photos and did a bit of filming for our youtube fans. Trust me its great content this was a new camera I used to help improve the quality of our work.

Tammy looked in fear as I spent a little more time with the snake prior to moving on. I am extremely fearless but also I respect these creatures so you never can take your eyes off these reptiles. I was out of his striking range but he rose high the rattle began to shake and he was getting ready to lunge at me. I had my fun it was a great rush and I know that all it might take is a bite and my life could end at any moment.

We went back into our truck and then I drove around to the front of the hillside. There is a mild hill with many scattered rocks which contain many petroglyphs. Some of them are thousands of years old while some are fading from time itself.

On the hill side I studied many of the works of rock art and was rather vigilant when exploring due to the high grass it meant other snakes could be hiding here. I did allot of filming and photography which included hiking to the overlooks.

At the overlooks you could see down into the great basin and the entire hillside of volcanic rocks. The sun was setting and behind me were many rolling hills which were areas that the natives at one time hunted at. Now today this dry deserts chocolate rocks grace the hillside all with stories to tell. Below is an ancient corral where the natives would trap game and possibly wild horses.

Much of the rock art is hard to decipher but some of them show the sun, moon and even big horn sheep which that they hunted to survive. Then their are rocks that have strange markings while others have holes where grinding may have taken place. For example the natives would crush some of their food against another rock grinding it into a powder. Years of grinding left those scars behind hence the crater like holes in some of the rocks found here.

The sun was setting it was a beautiful moon and a group of folks seemed to have been out here with telescopes searching for something. Their was also two cops parked up here as well. It may have been time to close and it was good we left. Moments upon our leaving of the area I looked over and seen a giant sand storm consuming the entire Grimes Point area. it was a close call on every level and in the end I have not one single regret for visiting one of the most mysterious petroglyph sites in the country. This was a nice find and a really interesting ancient site with many caves, rock art and canyons to explore.

However hiking here reminds me of why I do not like summer hikes in any desert. The reason being is snakes are more abundant and all it takes is one bite and its over. So I told Tammy will be returning here in cooler weather and stick with some of the cooler areas of the sierras where less snakes dwell:)
Lord Rick
Founder, Author, Talk Show Host and Producer

Profile E-mail