The Paranormal & Ghost Society Private BBS Hosted By Lord Rick At www.paranormalghostsociety.org
Our Bulletin Board System is designed for our subscribers and friends. It is a series of forums hosted by PGS where we discuss the functions of our organization and an innovating BBS which revolves around many functions within our group sign up its free!
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Saturday's Paranormal Trip Up At Robbers Roost
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:59 am 
Site Admin

It has been awhile since we did an actually woodsy night investigation I sure miss them. I do not care what anybody says nothing beats a night hike under the stars. I miss the days I spent searching around the woods back east for strange creatures in the woods and soon everybody real soon your going to see a more different type of group as we start to expand at greater distances around the east coast.

In this case we had two locations in mind one would be some springs with some mines up in the woods while the other location is called Robbers Roost. Tammy and I left as the sun was setting what a nice ride up into the mountains. I didn't think the weather would get as cold as it did but its still kind of winter up around the Spring Mountains.

When we arrived in old town their was not many people out you could smell fireplace smoke. I actually drove around for awhile before we hiked. We went up to a couple trail heads....stopped at the national forest kiosk.....and checked out some of the awesome cabins in the area which one had 3 stories to it.

This is an area we will be returning to probably in a few weeks although it appears their are a few sites a few hikers have not seen in the area or know about. Its amazing how many hidden things a forest can reveal.

Anyhow for a warm up we hiked up an old wash we must had climbed and climbed for a good half of mile the sun was going down. I thought this was the path to the spring and it is the not so nice one. The hiking in these mountains is very rugged lots of rocks...3000 year old pines....hills with loose stone.

I found some rock shelter on the hike and we were a good 8000 feet already up so the air was a bit thinner. We had just gone to the store so we had food and plenty to drink. I really should have gotten a hot coffee didn't think much of it till later in the night.

When we went up the little wash we seen a few patches of snow here and there. I had us turn around I was not sure we were even on the right trail. You see in this area are a few trails that cut up to the springs the problem is if you take the wrong way you will end up heading to some of the majestic peaks which are 12,000 feet. I got out took some cool photos of the snow capped peaks I went up here sledding months ago without as much snow I could actually see the area much more sharper.

Tammy and I did not seen no animals heard dogs at some of the cabins barking far off in the distance. What is new no matter where you almost go now everybody has a few loud dogs. Night fall was setting in I did not use my lights but when we arrived at the vehicle we would have to start using them.

I am pretty adamant at finding things so we took around 3 to 4 other trails parking near them as we went down the road. Most trails had a fire pit made out of rocks while some had burnt logs....or man made camp sites for their tents. I had Tammy stay in the car while I hiked up a few trails to see if one of them was the right one. The trail we were to find is sort of wide no big rocks but very shady with trees on both sides draping the path.

I found a few paths like this but none of them went up into the smaller mountains. I did notice a few areas were trees were cleared then realized the forest rangers did it to cut down on fire hazards since in the summer pine can get very dry.

Tammy and I actually parked near an unmarked trail we took it and it led us along these stone cliffs...and eventually dead ended. Near where it dead ended I shined my light about 40 feet up and spotted a pair of giant gold eyes watching me. Those eyes did blink once then I turned to Tammy told her to look up and the eyes were gone. The eyes were about 3 times the size of my cat sneezers. They were gold so I had to assume we just been sighted by probably a big kitty. I was not worried I just knew that we were not alone.

We hiked back to the car it was rough we already put on a couple miles on foot turning up nothing looking for a very serene tucked away trail. I had a virus Friday night so I was very weak. Its one of those things the stomach feels blah.....your all fatigued....hot flashes then cold ones.

Their was this one private road we walked up to old sign wondered what was on top of the hill. No tire tracks in a long time it got me curious. I didn't go back here I try to behave myself otherwise I might end up sitting on top of one of the log cabins smoking a big fat joint. You have to respect a mans honesty but again when you live in the desert for awhile you learn to cherish real trees. Not the fake little ones you get from star nursery that take a decade just to grow 6 feet tall lol.

I must have stood still walking down the lonely road and for what purpose? Just to smell the fresh air and smell of pine burning. You have no idea how often I think about nature being out in it has its rewards. So did I care I could not find our first location know. The entire reason almost for becoming involved in the paranormal is just for the purpose of having a taste of the night. Tammy is new to so many things like the explorations we do and even she has appreciated all the locations we have gone to the last few months.

So after a few various locations I took a drive up the mountain real slow.....swung back around took another road up to a location called Robber's Roost. I was hoping to honestly see something its another reason we go out to such places. You go their to try to get yourself a ghost a story something that you can tell your friends and members.

Robbers Roost

Almost every state seems to have one but the history to this location dates back to over a century ago. Its more of an adventure location then a ghostly one but still an adventure is an adventure. Tammy and I reached a much higher elevation up in the mountains. It didn't seem as brisk here as it did at our first set of hiking locations.

Everywhere I travel seems to be original their is no place that sticks out because all the places we go are either historical, adventurous or just straight up fun. That is why my members are in my society that is why we throw parties that is why we go investigating to have good times with others around us.

So I decided to take Tammy on a pretty wild adventure and it sure got that way quick. We crossed the road went up a hill that came out to a junction in the trail. We started to head left lots of foot prints even off in the woods and anywhere you could think of. This place is over visited but who the hell comes back here at night? WE DO!

I expected a fairly easy trail but it was so dark and because of all the prints in the snow the trail looked like it went 40 to places. I was standing there thinking this is going to be a great time. We turned around after about 10 minutes after not seeing anything and took the trail the other direction. The path became a little overgrown but the pines were so big as we followed the hill/mountain around. To our right we had trees as tall as us as we were viewing miles of woods below us.

As we came to the end of the trail their was this deforested hill all loose dirt and gravel. I thought this cannot be the trail no way. You have to understand that when we followed the trail which loops around we came up to this steep hill and a wash to our left and a junction in the trail to the right. So we had three ways to go it was like WTF now what.

I went up the steep hill Tammy was on all fours please put the dirty mind away folks we had 75 feet to climb. I told Tammy to go back down only because I wondered how a slowly elevating trail would turn into almost a giant hill that was barely climbable. I went to take a look ahead and I am telling you right now we had another 50 feet to go probably led to the top of Robbers Roost but still. So I came back down to Tammy side skied almost rolled skinned my leg a little on the way down then we took the wash up where it ended at some tires.

Another strange thing that happened near this area is I put new batteries in one of my lights well within 10 seconds my light went dim. Tammys did the same thing later in our investigation. I am not sure why or what caused the power to fluxuate like this.

Finally I took the trail to the right it was unmarked....very wide in some areas then overgrown in some. It seemed to follow a huge woodsy valley below and to our right was a mountain which we appeared to be hiking to its peak. The trail was following the mountain going higher around the brim. Tammy and I took it for awhile why not right were already on it. We went so far up the trail that to the right of this trail we found two stone circles orbiting eachother with a pile of stones in the middle maybe a burial for someone's pet who knows. It was a perfect circle someone went through allot of time to find all them rocks to create this.

Just a few feet further down the trail their was a 12 foot circle dug deep within the trail with dirt pushed higher up on one end like something spun in circles. Their were no treads and as much as Id to say it was not weird it was. It was not man made I thought maybe a 4 wheeler but no it was more like something large and round was sunk into the trail. Maybe a tent but still a perfect circumference which went a little off the trail on the edge of a very steep hill hmmm.

We kept this area in mind we may hike in a few weeks back here to explore further I headed us back to the snow and icy trail. I never thought I would see snow and ice over here but alas their it was full of foot prints...holes...ice it was rather hard to walk in. It was not fresh power but an ice sheet and it took us awhile to make it up to the roost.

I know we were close to the roost because I seen larger limestone rocks as we went further up the path. We had to tread carefully I stepped in old footprints to secure footing. Eventually we came up to stone steps not man made but made from mother nature that followed a rock bigger then a house. Up the steep path it cut right between this giant rock. When we update our site I will explain this more in detail.

We stayed more towards the limestone cliffs to our right which had an over hang 50 feet above us sheltering out the stars. There was no trail at this point he stairs ended and the trail got so steep with the ice and snow that I had Tammy stay back. I was scouting for two caves or at least a few cave shelters where we could have a picnic under the stars and I could toke one for old times sake.

I became daring climbing up this wall of ice during the dry season it would probably be easier or less dangerous but I had to get a better ariel view. I noticed an area or rock shelter with burnt longs and the rocks were also cindered to my left. As I hiked up this happened on 3 occasions I stepped in a wrong area and it turned out to be a deep hole.Its not fun not knowing what is below you or how deep the hole is its a rush.

The trail become narrow I was almost to the top of the roost looking down into. I made it to the top sat down on the edge of a rock shelter. I did not realize that it may have been much harder to get down. I sat near a rock shelter with a wall of ice an 8 foot drop on inside. I was cold the wind was brewing strong between the lime stone rocks. I called Tammy at first thanking the hell with it lets go into the rock shelter but then realized once we slid in we would have possibly been stuck inside due to the ice sheath at the entrance.

As I sat still breathing hard from the high altitude my flashlight slipped out of my hands down it went then eventually curved to the left in the canyon till its light faded into the darkness. I was worried about what Tammy was thinking. You have to understand that one wrong step and you could fly down this hill hitting trees...big limestone rocks etc

I started to walk down on all fours trying to place my footing into any foot print I found which up here their were only a set or two. Well the ice gave a way and that was it I starting sledding on my back down the canyon.....I felt like I was in a new Goonies Movie. I was heading right into a wall below and used my hands to stare myself left it worked how it worked who knows but I slide a total of about 40 feet stopping right near my flashlight. The wind was hollowing and as I sat there laying on my back off in the distance I heard what sounded like a waterfall. I thought to myself thank goodness the cave is not behind one id be wet and cold then. Although getting ice in your shoes not fun but it comes with the hike.

I sat their was in allot of pain I hit my back multiple times on ice...my hands were freezer burned the skin on my palms was burning and so cold. Again had ice in my hiking sneakers to a point where my toes were numb. I stood up to come on over to Tammy as was talking to her and all of sudden my leg went down a hole where the ice was weak. I swear my body was only exposed from the waist up. I thought can you imagine how this would look if this hit our paracomedy page besides the fact I lost my pants earlier in the investigation not good man.

So after I met back with Tammy I had us climb up a wall into the Robbers Roost. We were in a giant rock shelter. The climb was a little hard up trust me it was straight up just hold on hope for the best. I actually got up first sat down near a tree and some soft dirt where the cavern floor was. We had to be real careful though behind us was giant slope...on one side was a pile of rocks leading over to where the Robbers sat around the fire....and in front of us was a sheer drop off that went for 50 feet down.

From inside the Roost we had a nice view of the wooded valley below and above us 50 feet up was somewhat a limestone canopy blacking out the stars. I could see holes in the limestone cliffs where others dared to do extreme climbing. The roost was like a giant playhouse full of little one step dangers so we sat down near a tree growing inside to shelter us from the cool breeze.

I did not walk deeper into the roost as if I went in the slipper limestone rocks to my right could mean Id lose footing maybe falling to my death. So we set up a little camp here I had drank my power aid.....we ate some food.....enjoyed the stars since no lights were out here except a crescent moon.

I never seen anything like this place except for a place up in PA that had cliffs with a cave where outlaws hid in. I thought it was unique as at one time this use to be an underground cavern that became exposed overlooking woods for miles below.

I was freezing it was hard to warm up my hands were like ice a breeze would hit me and my teeth would chatter. Tammy had some issues with the elevation such as dizziness at times. I still enjoyed the moment I sparked one up wtf right this is not a place that you just go take photos at. You need to chill here and wait for the activity to occur.

After that we decided to leave and come back in a few weeks when more of the snow and ice is melted. That way we can climb a few other walls and explore other ledges for other caves or shelters. I notice a few other plateaus to climb up onto which are 10 feet up which might have a cave or two further back. I bet the view during the day would be great here from on top of the cliffs so it definitely is worth coming back to.

I thought as we climbed out of the Roost I heard to men mumbling inside the cave it was odd. My flashlight was also acting oddly like it turned off by itself....then all of sudden moments later turned back on after I set it aside in my pack. The limestone was hard to climb down from climbing up a wall is easy climbing down and dropping onto a sheet of ice takes more skill.

I instead climbed further down into the roost my foot slipped almost went 10 feet down the rocks....and I cut the climb to my right....where I was able to step down the wall then jump off. I had Tammy grab around me and I lifted her off as I had my foot planted deep in the ice considering rather then fall I might just break an ankle at worst. I know that sounds a little reckless but again on my explorations it is always a give and take situation. Tammy and I have a good system so we help eachother climb whether its for footing or balance or even safety period. The same goes for any other person who joins us and thus we have a safe fun time.

We worked our way along the side of the roost looking deeper into it I seen a narrow path that cuts along side the drop off. I now know how to get to that path within the cave so next time I might sit on over where the outlaws once camped at might get some good EVP.

Tammy slipped on an icy area it was all good fun this was no easy hike we had to just deal with the slippery rocks and trail at best. If you fall you get back up and keep going its how it is always has been. Tammy asked if I knew how to get back to the car I just told her look my toes want to be warmed up and I was cold there was no getting lost not as bad as I wanted to warm up. When a fellow Bufallonian is cold you know my white ass is in some crazy location where even hell can freeze over enough said.

Our hike back was much quicker we wasted no time I could not wait to get the heat working in the car of course we opened up the sun roof because driving under the stars is just that kick ass. I ate some dark chocolate it was cold and so good. I actually took the long ways home just for a nice drive through the mountains. Not one car on the road for miles until we headed back into sin city and of course the land of a million lights.

Tammy told me when she was alone at the bottom of the cliffs near the Roost entrance her flashlight starting going dim on her on and off. Not to mention how the sunroof was not opening either. We had allot of equipment failures during our hike paranormal or not who knows. I know just that you never find a thing unless your willing to go the extra mile and that we did.

I had fun came home a little banged up was more exhausted on this trip then the huge one I did up near death valley a couple weeks ago. All in all it was a great time and probably in a few weeks will go back to get more involved with the location. We are always looking for others to join our team come on out these are the times you will never forget.

I enjoy the woods I miss those night hikes in them and cannot wait till the PGS organization moves up near the Central Cali and Central NV regions will be experiencing so many more sites like this. I took photos and EVPs on this trip if I get something great if not it was one hell of an adventure that I was glad to be home safe from. Now back at Potosi it was the gummy bears and worms that saved my life long story....this time it was the toking that kept me going. I don't care what anybody says our organization will work very hard on the promotion of herb and hopefully one day that will also help with its legalization. I can actually say that if I didn't toke one my body would have went into a state of shock only because again the cold.....getting banged up down the canyon etc.

I want to finish the report by thanking all those who take the time to listen to everyone one of our shows....who read every one of our investigation reports....and those who support us. Our explorations are very much like the days of old just going out looking for anything unique....strange or even crazy. One thing that is nice about hiking here is no rattle snakes....no desert heat....and no worries but where the adventure is taking you next. Goodnight folks!
Lord Rick
Founder, Author, Talk Show Host
www.paranormalghostsociety.org

Profile E-mail